The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 AM

Default Archtop builder Erich Solomon television interview

For those of you familiar with the work of archtop guitar builder Erich Solomon, and even those of you who aren't, here's a clip of an interesting television interview he did on New Hampshire television:

http://www.wmur.com/new-hampshire-ch...28/detail.html

I first met Erich when he was barely out of his teens here in Anchorage, Alaska, yet he was making superb instruments even then. The guitars he brought along on a visit back up here last August were even more impressive. Unlike most archtops I've played, they had marvelous sustain, and were capable of all sorts of nuances and tone colors.

Erich's website is here: http://www.solomonguitars.com/

Full disclosure: I have no commercial ties to Erich, I just like his work a lot.

Anyway, the clip took a while to load on my computer, but it's worth watching.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 AM

Nice to see the local luthiers getting this kind of exposure. You don't even have to appreciate guitars to recognize that Erich is doing something special.

On another note, I recently noticed that the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen is now displaying a couple of guitars from local builder(s) in their retail store. This may be a first. The 'League' is very prestigious here and only excepts the very best in craftsmanship (think Shaker furniture etc.). Wonderful to see they are onto this Golden Age. Wonder if Al Carruth or Erich are members of the League. They should be. More great exposure.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 PM

That's a good question, Jobe. Next time I communicate with Erich I'll ask him.

whm
Old 03-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Thank you Wade for the reminder.
I communicated some times ago with Erich and he had been very kind and responsive.
I was not ready yet for such an instrument (this was my first archtop attempt, so I chose a conservative Eastman, three times less expensive to begin with), but I have an eye on his Phidelity line. My first archtop will certainly not be my last...

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

JpBat Solomons are beyond comprehension. To call Solomons an Archtop is labeling!
I had the rare pleasure of owning a Koa/Sitka for a while. It was too early in my playing for such a guitar. Wow is an understatement. The ease of fingering and the layers of sound are still fresh in my head. Now, I play more serious. My business is growing by leaps and bounds .......... some day I hope I will again own one of Erich's Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops