The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-24-2018, 04:30 AM

Default Vox AD30vt

Hi guys, happy Christmas! I have just picked up a used Vox AD30vt in my local charity shop for a great price, is anyone here familiar with it? It has amp modelling, a one watt (!) valve power amp, a further transistor power amp and an attenuator.
It's taking a bit of taming, but seems interesting. How about running an acoustic UST through it? Like with my little Roland Cube, the Bassman 4x10 model seems my favourite so far. I'm playing a Strat and a single-coil Yamaha through it, and I suppose it's not likely to do much live gigging. Mind you, the Beatles at Shea Stadium did ok with Vox AC30s.
Thanks for any replies, facts, opinions, or mad flights of fancy.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin View Post
....It's taking a bit of taming, but seems interesting. How about running an acoustic UST through it?
I'm no amp connoisseur, but I like mine fine. I typically run acoustic under-saddle pickups through it. Yeah, takes a little messing with, but likely that's because there's so much to mess with - all the different amp models, different effects, EQ.... I like how you can set the output wattage anywhere between 1 and 30. It can certainly get plenty loud!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-24-2018, 11:54 AM

Yep, there are a lot of settings to mess with! Care to tell me some of your favourites? Myself, I like a fairly clean, full range sound, with a touch of chorus and reverb. But then again, it's usually just me on a couch. I'm tempted by the Digitech trio+, maybe in the new year.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:32 PM

i think its remarkable amp to be had at a ridiculous low price used, i had a fender super champ X2 and currently SCXD- these all tubes go for $250 and up used, the only they got better is a fender twang, i think the effects on the vox simply blow the fender away- its also nice to see how everything is named too, so switching around to much easier, i would print the online manual for all the info
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 12-24-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hi guys, happy Christmas! I have just picked up a used Vox AD30vt in my local charity shop for a great price, is anyone here familiar with it? It has amp modelling, a one watt (!) valve power amp, a further transistor power amp and an attenuator.
It's taking a bit of taming, but seems interesting. How about running an acoustic UST through it? Like with my little Roland Cube, the Bassman 4x10 model seems my favourite so far. I'm playing a Strat and a single-coil Yamaha through it, and I suppose it's not likely to do much live gigging. Mind you, the Beatles at Shea Stadium did ok with Vox AC30s.
Thanks for any replies, facts, opinions, or mad flights of fancy.
I tried that amp out for awhile. It didn't have much in common w/ the AC30, but I was able to get good sounds out of it.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:49 AM

"Good sounds" is what I would be aiming for! Not really expecting an AC30, and I probably would not do one justice anyway. Interesting how VOX is owned by Korg these days, and those guys know a thing or two about effects. Some think their AC30 reissue is really good. Anyway, any more info or settings suggestions would be great. Happy Christmas and a fabulous new year!
Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
....Anyway, any more info or settings suggestions would be great....
I'm currently using: amp setting AC30TB; then tweak the gain, treble, mid, and especially bring the bass down to a fairly low level; I like a little chorus+reverb, set at about 11:00; power level at about 20 watts. Your miles may vary!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-11-2019, 06:55 PM

Nice amp stand! I see you have a shubb, I'm using one in my Strat. What guitar do you use mostly, and favourite pickup position, if I may ask? Funny how the boutique model is so much quieter than the blackface, and the ac30 louder still. I seem to favour the latter two currently, with a touch of reverb or chorus+reverb. Anyway, a cool amp, I'm having fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars