The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 PM

Default National NRP Piccolo

Anyone played one? Can't find any vids on the WWW, so I guess they are pretty rare/new.

No affiliation to this company, just only link I can find:

https://artisanguitars.com/national-...inish-id-12331

Looks like a nice travel/campfire option
Old 10-24-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capohk View Post
Anyone played one? Can't find any vids on the WWW, so I guess they are pretty rare/new.

No affiliation to this company, just only link I can find:

https://artisanguitars.com/national-...inish-id-12331

Looks like a nice travel/campfire option
That looks a cool reso! I play a lot of high capo'd songs, oh no I must resist
Old 10-25-2018, 02:54 PM

I love quart (A-A) tuning in a band setting - my wife uses a 30-year-old mini-Strat knockoff (19" scale) to add sparkle to our plugged-in material (think Nashville tuning with a richer low end), and I've had my Deering Boston tenor banjo in drop-G uke tuning (GCEA like the top four strings of a quart guitar - very popular during the '20s as uke players attempted to cash in on the jazz craze, but virtually unknown today) for the last fifteen years. It's a shame nobody makes a less-pricey version - dropping close to $3K on another instrument would irreparably damage my domestic tranquility - but if Gold Tone/Regal/Republic ever decide to jump on the bandwagon I'm in...
Old 10-25-2018, 04:03 PM

Gretsch (concert size, $250-ish) and Kala (tenor, around $310) both make resonator ukes. Only four strings, and gCEA (high g) but would get people in the ballpark while they're saving up for a resoguitalele.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:57 AM

I love all things National and am also interested in one of these. Search YouTube for Mighty Fine Guitars: Dakota Dave Hull. They have a video of him playing his NRP piccolo. I think his is German silver, and sound great!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Gretsch (concert size, $250-ish) and Kala (tenor, around $310) both make resonator ukes. Only four strings, and gCEA (high g) but would get people in the ballpark while they're saving up for a resoguitalele.
Tried 'em both, Frank, and I'm not impressed - been looking for one of the Gold Tone metal tenor Resoukes for a while, though...
Old 10-27-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomule View Post
I love all things National and am also interested in one of these. Search YouTube for Mighty Fine Guitars: Dakota Dave Hull. They have a video of him playing his NRP piccolo. I think his is German silver, and sound great!

Sounds very cool.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-28-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixed video
Old 12-08-2018, 04:32 AM

Wow, I absolutely didn't recognize Dakota Dave Hull - of course, it was more than thirty years ago that I saw him last. This is what he looked like then:

Dakota Dave back in the olden days

He always wore a cowboy hat back when I knew him (slightly.) Wore it indoors and out. That porkpie hat in the video kind of surprised me.

Anyway, getting back to that sort of tuning, an A to A tuning is what's used on the Mexican requinto, and on its steel string American version, the Tacoma Papoose. I've got a Papoose. Just from its register alone, you can really hear it cut through a mix when there are a bunch of people playing at the same time. I imagine that having a resonator version at that tuning would be the acoustic musical instrument equivalent having tactical nuclear weapons....

After looking at that link, I went to the National Reso-Phonic website to see if I could find any mention of piccolo guitars, but I couldn't discover any. So I sent an email to Jason Workman to find out whether it was a custom order or if it just hasn't made it onto their website yet.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments