The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 PM

Default Recommend me a nice Hawaiian Slack Key Instrumental

Hey all

Been busy lately, but trying to get back into things, one short term goal is to learn a nice Hawaiian tune. (in Open G tuning, I guess).

Any recommendations for some nice tunes, perhaps that are catchy and would go down well with most people?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 PM

Hi'lawe is a Slack Key standard. There are better versions out there, but here is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Jte1N1Xss

Tuning is "Drop C", but is very close to Open G. Tune to Open G, then drop your 6 down again from D to C.

Tab for this came from Patrick Landeza and was featured in Acoustic Guitar Magazine. I'll have to look up which issue it was.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 04-13-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
Hi'lawe is a Slack Key standard. There are better versions out there, but here is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Jte1N1Xss

Tuning is "Drop C", but is very close to Open G. Tune to Open G, then drop your 6 down again from D to C.

Tab for this came from Patrick Landeza and was featured in Acoustic Guitar Magazine. I'll have to look up which issue it was.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Thanks Gary, nice playing!
Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 AM

FYI,

I found the mag with the Tab. It is Acoustic Guitar from April 2010. Not sure of the legalities of posting or sharing that here, but suspect it is a no-no.

Gary
Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
FYI,

I found the mag with the Tab. It is Acoustic Guitar from April 2010. Not sure of the legalities of posting or sharing that here, but suspect it is a no-no.

Gary
Thanks Gary, will investigate

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write