The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Default Taylor T5: Please share your setup

I've recently purchased a T5 and would like to know how you get the best tones, acoustic or electric, from your rig.

For the acoustic side I have mine plugged mine directly into the board and out the monitors. The only thing I have for electric tone is a Boss ME-25 between the guitar and the mixer.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 AM

Default kind of the same thing...

I do kind of the same thing. I run it through the taylor a/b switch so one will goes direct to my rc-300 looper then monitor and the other goes to the rc300 looper via my iPad and out to the monitor. You'll love the T5.
Fender Victor Bailey Acoustic Bass
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM

I am enjoying the T5. What do you have on your iPad that you are routing the T5 through?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM

I run mine with a Rivera Sedona, Great for both electric and acoustic.

1998 Taylor 810CE
2005 Gibson Les Paul
1984ish Epiphone Sheraton II
1980's Sigma 12 string
1954 Gretsch Synchromatic
1993 Ovation Celebrity
2000 Fender American Deluxe
1970's Lotus LP
2009 Home built
2010 Taylor T5C2 Koa
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 PM

I use a T5 directly into a Fishman SoloAmp or directly into an Allen and Heath Zed 10FX board with QSC HPR122i speakers.

The following is from a reply I posted in the Amplification forum. There are some good tips for getting the best sound from your T5.

I don't recommend going from the Taylor T5 directly into most pedals. The expression system in the T5 (as well as most of their acoustic guitars) is designed as balance system that uses a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) cable and plugs. In order to take advantage of the expression system, you need to use a TRS cable from your T5 into a mixing board or an amplifier with a balanced input. I don't know of any effects pedals that are equipped with balanced inputs. Several acoustic guitar amplifiers are setup with balanced inputs; most standard guitar amplifiers are not equipped with balanced inputs. If you decide to use a standard guitar cable and unbalanced amplifier input, you will only be getting half of your T5's output signal (one of the reasons most people are unhappy with the sounds out of their T5's)

I would recommend sorting out your cable and amplifier situation first, before buying any pedals. I prefer connecting my T5 to a mixer with built-in effects or using the mixer's effects send-receive loop to send the signal to a rack mounted processor or pedal. There are several good acoustic guitar amplifiers and small PA mixers that come with built in effects that work well with acoustic instruments. I use a small Allen & Heath ZED-10FX model mixer that has a built-in sound processor. It has all the effects I need for use with acoustic instruments.

If you do not want to go the mixer/acoustic amplifier route, I would recommend getting a good acoustic guitar preamp/DI as your first pedal; one with built-in EQ is handy. At least your signal level will be correct, and you will be able to get the best sound possible from your effects and amplifier farther down the signal chain.

With acoustic guitars, I keep effects to a minimum. A little delay or reverb goes a long way. Occasional use of a chorus is good for some songs, but leaving it on all the time sounds too cliche for me.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I run mine with a Rivera Sedona, Great for both electric and acoustic.

I do the same but I have a TC ELECTRONICS NOVA and OCD on the electric side
PRS custom 22
Fender Strat
All Letfy.....
Fender G-DEC 30
Rivera Sedona Lite
Morgan ac20 deluxe head/cab
TC nova systems
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I'm thinking of getting a T5. It should work okay with a Ronald AC-60, right? I've already got one of those and would just use it playing for my own enjoyment or perhaps for small groups in small rooms. THANKS.
-Bob
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini. ABY to Fishman guitar input channel for acoustic and iPhone/iPad Garageband to Aux for other sounds using Apogee Jam input to iOS and 1/8" for output to the Loudbox aux. Works great all around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars