The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 PM

Default Got the 5th Ave - Bridge opinions?

I mistakenly posted this as a reply to my old post back in March. Meant to start a new thread - here it is:

Last March I posted a question about incessant buzzing on a 3 different Godin 5th Ave. The shop agreed to order a 4th - no buzz! Well, almost 6 months later I finally pulled the trigger (well, it's on lay-away, so I've really only taken the safety off). I've read many posts about replacing the bridge with a Stew Mac. I'm going to do this but wondered if anyone had an opinion about whether to get ebony, rosewood, or bone. Actually the question is really wood or bone? I know it wouldn't cost that much to get all three and see what's best - but if I had to get just one, any opinions on which one? I like a punchy, warm sound with substantial separation between notes and not a lot of overtones.
Thanks!
Vick

Last edited by Vick Vickers; 09-17-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Ebony or rosewood has been traditional for archtops since the beginning. No one in the 30's, 40's, 50's or 60's thought you needed anything else.

But what makes you think you need a new bridge? The buzz you heard on the other examples is most likely just the action set too low, which is super easy to adjust with just a twist of the thumbscrews.

OTOH, the shaping of the bridge to the arch of the top is a key component in archtop sound. If the original doesn't fit right, it could be sanded to fit better If you buy a replacement, sanding the bridge to match to top is important.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
Ebony or rosewood has been traditional for archtops since the beginning. No one in the 30's, 40's, 50's or 60's thought you needed anything else.

But what makes you think you need a new bridge? The buzz you heard on the other examples is most likely just the action set too low, which is super easy to adjust with just a twist of the thumbscrews.

OTOH, the shaping of the bridge to the arch of the top is a key component in archtop sound. If the original doesn't fit right, it could be sanded to fit better If you buy a replacement, sanding the bridge to match to top is important.
So you don't think a rosewood bridge/bone saddle would improve on the synthetic ones that come stock?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post

But what makes you think you need a new bridge? .
The consensus opinion seems to be that a new bridge is a substantial improvement over the stock bridge, but I also just wanted to experiment a bit to see/hear what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

Vick
Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Definitely NOT a bone topped rosewood bridge

Step 1. Fit the existing bridge to the guitar
Step 2. Fit a set of .012's or 0.13's
Step 3. Optional.. I am in the camp of fit a bridge with a material the same as the fingerboard... ie with the 5th Ave, go rosewood. Emphasis on FIT the bridge...

Good luck
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Definitely NOT a bone topped rosewood bridge

Step 1. Fit the existing bridge to the guitar
Step 2. Fit a set of .012's or 0.13's
Step 3. Optional.. I am in the camp of fit a bridge with a material the same as the fingerboard... ie with the 5th Ave, go rosewood. Emphasis on FIT the bridge...

Good luck
How much, more or less, does a tech charge to fit a new bridge? I ask because I have the jazzbox 5th Avenue CWII Kingpin and I'm very happy with it - it's a guitar that is worth investing in for impovements.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 PM

This is not rocket science... it's a simple mechanical task,,, if you can file your nails you can fit a bridge....

howvwer if you are not comfortable doing it, I understand... not sure what some one would charge

Remove the strings...

Tape a sheet of sand paper to the top with blue tape.. (sand side up : ) )
Move the bridge back and forth to get it to conform the to the contour of the top

Those are the basics.....

I'll see if there is anything online for a visual.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Wouldn't do bone for an archtop...none of what bone claims to enhance in tone is something an archtop player wants.

The bridge is worth fitting if you intend to use the instrument as an acoustic guitar. Don't expect miracles, though, it's still going to sound like a small, not so deep bodied archtop.

I have a single pickup Kingpin...it's a very good guitar, and if you take the price into account, it bounds on great. But even though mine has a pickup, I don't notice much of a tone difference between mine and a friend's all acoustic Fifth Avenue...so I guess what I'm saying, you can play around with it all you want, but it's still going to ound like a small bodied archtop.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
so I guess what I'm saying, you can play around with it all you want, but it's still going to ound like a small bodied archtop.
Good - that's exactly how I want it to sound. Just thought maybe the ebony or rosewood would make it a little better. Mostly I like to tinker around and experiment.

Thanks to all three for the "no bone" recommendation- I'll steer clear. Always great advice and info here.

Vick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops