The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2024, 01:41 PM

Default NAD: Fender SFX II

I've been in the market for a smaller (not too heavy) system to use for small/medium sized gigs. I've auditioned most of the offerings from the various manufacturers. There's a lot out there for whatever your sound preferences are.

My preferences are for relatively low SPL (less than 100dBA) sound with good bottom end and a wide dispersion. I purchased a Bose S1 system which does a nice job for smaller spaces. It does not, however, have any mid frequency control, which I find essential for my passive K&K pickups.

I auditioned the Fender during my LGS's annual floor sale. I was very impressed with the K&K equipped D-18 authentic they had in stock. Hell, I wanted to take the D-18 too. The sound was exactly what I was looking for and super simple to control. They even had me looping quickly. Not sure how this unit is different, but it's an integrated 90 second looper and pretty cool. The various effects sounded really clean to my ears and fit a lot of my songs well.

They gave me an excellent price on the floor model. So, I took it home.

Perfect for two channels. I have a plan for more channels if needed.

Future plans for it

Like I did with my Fishman many years ago, I will install a recessed pole mount on the bottom of this unit for mounting at waist height.

The unit has an auxiliary in that I tested with my Rodecaster. If I am playing with the folk group, I can power up to 4 mics with the Rodecaster and send it to the fender.

The Fender also has a really nifty line out feature. If needed, I'll send that D.I. out to the Bose S1 aux channel, or to the house.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-23-2024 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:39 PM

Update after several hours of rehearsal today. The unit sounds really lovely. Honestly, it has one of the nicest and warmest sounds I've experienced with my K&K equipped guitars.

But, I'm not sure how well it would work as a PA substitute. I don't think the construction would hold up like a PA speaker or even a Fishman Loudbox Artist/Performer.

So, if you can get a screaming deal like I did, and you only need two channels, and don't gig 200 nights a year, I think may really like it. I'm on the fence. On one hand, I don't know that I need a home/practice amp this big. On the other hand, I think it sounds terrific.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-23-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:54 AM

Second update: this system sounds great for a rehearsal space or somewhere you don’t need to throw it around. A few missing features are key: master volume, aux volume and a proper aux jack. I’m returning it.

It did force me to spend a lot of quality time with the Bose S1 Pro+ which I got sounding great with K&K. I just needed more time with it.

If I need something different in the near future, I’ll get a second S1, or a L8, EV30, or EV8.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:33 AM

There is nothing like real world testing and comparing to equipment you already own and trust. Thanks for the info on this unit Dave.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I remember the original version of this amp. It was a pretty big honking thing, but i think I recall it sounded pretty good.

Surprised to hear it doesn't have a master volume. I wonder what companies are thinking when they don't include a master vol, or in the case of that new NUX amp, it doesn't have a middle control, puzzling...

Anyway, thanks for the report on this Dave!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM

Consider purchasing a small mixer. Bose T4 is what we had used for years. So many useable EQ presets, compression, reverb plus a second fx of your choice, tuner, channel mutes, multiple show scenes can be saved and so much more. For me it replaced every pedal, preamps and tuner. Plus you have 4 equally mixable channels. You can consider this a guitar preamp alone and run to any outboard gear.

A lot of folks here prefer some of the newer systems with a mixer built in. I guess some of the newer Bose systems have it and others. I understand why folks like this but I personally prefer a separate mixer. The mixers are way better and interchangeable with any out board gear. You also keep all your personal mixes at hand.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 03-24-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Consider purchasing a small mixer. Bose T4 is what we had used for years. So many useable EQ presets, compression, reverb plus a second fx of your choice, tuner, channel mutes, multiple show scenes can be saved and so much more. For me it replaced every pedal, preamps and tuner. Plus you have 4 equally mixable channels. You can consider this a guitar preamp alone and run to any outboard gear.

A lot of folks here prefer some of the newer systems with a mixer built in. I guess some of the newer Bose systems have it and others. I understand why folks like this but I personally prefer a separate mixer. The mixers are way better and interchangeable with any out board gear. You also keep all your personal mixes at hand.

Mike, this is good advice. I’m continuing to look at options and that seems to be a very good one. Even the older T mixer would seem to do the trick. It’s the “upgraditis” that gets me. If I go for the T4 should I get the T8, just in case? It’s a sickness I think. [emoji848]

The option that seems the best to me is the T4 and another base model S1 and small speaker stand. That way I’ll have a modular approach for up to 4 people. And I can use a single s1 pro with the wireless units the rest of the time.

But then I think “well maybe it should be two 8” powered speakers on larger poles and the S1 as a monitor and go for the T8 or the L1…

I need a beer. Lol
Old 03-25-2024, 05:38 PM

I went out today and bought the Bose L1 Pro-8 and the T8 mixer. For years I’ve wanted a Bose L system but choked on the very high costs. Now it seems every other manufacturer has caught up in features and getting closer in price. There’s still a Bose tax, but…. what the heck? I’m not getting younger and this is much lighter to carry. Other options were heavier than I’m permitted by my doctors to lift.

Haven’t had much time yet to judge. But initial impressions are great. This is what a small/medium sized venue system should sound like to my ears. I also like the EV systems for reference.

Also, fingers crossed, the T-8 will replace the Rodecaster for online streaming. To verify, I needed to order a USB B to C cable due to arrive tomorrow. I’ll report back.

Thanks for the posts folks!
Old 03-25-2024, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

martingitdave, it has been fun following your recent gear trials. I am also
a Pro8 user (with the T4 mostly via TM connection.) I think and hope
you will enjoy it. I know I do.

Just curious, did you give up on the Showbox?
Old 03-26-2024, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
martingitdave, it has been fun following your recent gear trials. I am also
a Pro8 user (with the T4 mostly via TM connection.) I think and hope
you will enjoy it. I know I do.

Just curious, did you give up on the Showbox?
I did. I gave up on everything but the Yamaha THRII30 and the Bose S1 Pro. But, my situation is unique. First, I'm a headcase. Secondly, I have to consider component weight now. Third, I wasn't expecting to need a system again this soon. Never say never.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:18 AM

Please report back when you get comfortable with the new system.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 03-26-2024, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Those Fender amps do sound really good for both guitar and vocals. I gigged a Fender Acoustic 100 for a couple of years and really loved the sound. But it needed more power and it didn't take long for the pretty wood sides and trim to start showing a lot of wear. I went from it to a Loudbox Performer that was a beast of volume, power and clarity, but it was pretty dang heavy so I moved to the Loudbox Artist and it fills a great niche. At one time I had every amp in the Loudbox lineup now I'm down to the Mini and Artist. The Mini lives in my mancave / garage for testing guitars, pickups and mics and the Artist gigs.

If you would like more control and versatility from your S1 Pro, look into a EAE Gigmix. It is a great little mixer that has very intuitive controls and is about the size of a stompbox. I mounted mine on my mic stand so it was always at my fingertips. Very clean and great effects.

I've moved all of my Bose equipment on now and I'm using my Evolve 30m, Everse 8 and / or Loudbox Artist for all my gigs now. It's nice to carry less equipment into a gig these days.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-26-2024, 02:15 PM

Congrats!

The Bose L1 Pro8 is an excellent sounding unit.

I had the Pro8 for a while and gigged it for over 2 years.
But sold and bought the Evolve 30m.
Mainly for the built-in mixer and Smart App.
Which is a Really nice "all in one".

You cannot go wrong with the Pro8 and T8 - "paid the Bose tax"
and get the legendary Bose sound.
Which honestly is a tad better (smoother) to my ear that the EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I went out today and bought the Bose L1 Pro-8 and the T8 mixer. For years I’ve wanted a Bose L system but choked on the very high costs. Now it seems every other manufacturer has caught up in features and getting closer in price. There’s still a Bose tax, but…. what the heck? I’m not getting younger and this is much lighter to carry. Other options were heavier than I’m permitted by my doctors to lift.

Haven’t had much time yet to judge. But initial impressions are great. This is what a small/medium sized venue system should sound like to my ears. I also like the EV systems for reference.

Also, fingers crossed, the T-8 will replace the Rodecaster for online streaming. To verify, I needed to order a USB B to C cable due to arrive tomorrow. I’ll report back.

Thanks for the posts folks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification