The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 AM

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!! Enjoy it!!

Brad
Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 PM

It's here! It looks gorgeous and plays well. The sound is good right out of the box, although I sense it will open up a bit.

The guitar stinks though! Whew, Brad, I hope you had good ventilation equipment when you sprayed it!

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi View Post
It's here! It looks gorgeous and plays well. The sound is good right out of the box, although I sense it will open up a bit.

The guitar stinks though! Whew, Brad, I hope you had good ventilation equipment when you sprayed it!
Ooooh noo!! I think what you're smelling is the glue used to make the case. They smell terrible. I do leave them outside my shop to air out for several days, though... Wonder why it still smells..? From what I hear it goes away but perhaps propping the case open outside for a bit wouldn't be a bad idea...out of direct sunlight of course.

Can't wait to hear more if your thoughts, Sachi!! Thanks for keeping us all updated!

Brad
Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolayaGuitars View Post
Ooooh noo!! I think what you're smelling is the glue used to make the case. They smell terrible. I do leave them outside my shop to air out for several days, though... Wonder why it still smells..?
Oh, I think you're right. I just opened the case and it just reeks. Sickly sweet, yuck. I'll take it outside.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Well, I have to say after playing the new Carmen for the last few hours, it is a superb instrument. It is balanced and has a simply gorgeous and inviting tone. It sounds good with a pick or fingers, and is equally good for both chords and single notes. And it is CLEAR, with the sound of the notes readily apparent through the overtones. The neck and setup out of the box are easy to play and very comfortable in the hand. My verdict?

Far Exceeds Expectations.

Well done, Brad!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Threads like this make me thankful for the internet.

Thank you Brad and sachi for sharing the build. It has been enjoyable, heartbreaking, then enjoyable again to follow. And I learned about paper towels to boot. Simply stunning guitar.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajawatt View Post
Threads like this make me thankful for the internet.

Thank you Brad and sachi for sharing the build. It has been enjoyable, heartbreaking, then enjoyable again to follow. And I learned about paper towels to boot. Simply stunning guitar.
No problem! It was my pleasure...most of the time...

Quote:
Well, I have to say after playing the new Carmen for the last few hours, it is a superb instrument. It is balanced and has a simply gorgeous and inviting tone. It sounds good with a pick or fingers, and is equally good for both chords and single notes. And it is CLEAR, with the sound of the notes readily apparent through the overtones. The neck and setup out of the box are easy to play and very comfortable in the hand. My verdict?

Far Exceeds Expectations.

Well done, Brad!
Sachi, thank you very much for your kind words. The player's final review is always the bread and butter of the whole deal! I will say that you've been a remarkable person to work with and to build for and I'm very grateful for the opportunity to build a guitar for you! Let us know what you think of the adjustable neck and your impressions of the dynamics of the cantilevered fingerboard.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats to you both (sachi and Brad)! This has been a journey enjoyed by many and I have truly enjoyed it immensely. Of course, selfishly, I have to mention I'm glad the guitar is now in sachi's hands since that means mine is closer to the start date!

Really glad for the happy ending. And sachi, when you can please let us know how you like the cantilevered fingerboard. I'm thinking that is the way to go for mine.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's here! It looks gorgeous and plays well. The sound is good right out of the box, although I sense it will open up a bit...
Congratulations on a beautiful guitar, Sachi! What a stunningly beautiful guitar!

- Glenn
Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Really glad for the happy ending. And sachi, when you can please let us know how you like the cantilevered fingerboard. I'm thinking that is the way to go for mine.
I can't say for sure, cigarfan, because it's really not possible to compare unless you can play similar guitars with and without that feature. However, I strongly suspect that the cantilever neck contributes to the amazing sound of this guitar.

One of the things I most appreciate about Brad is that he obviously wants to improve his instruments, and has been trying new techniques all along the way. This guitar has double sides, lattice bracing, and the cantilever neck – and I can tell you that Brad spent a LOT of effort testing his bracing and construction details to make sure this guitar would sound right. It paid off.

So yeah, go for that cantilevered neck. You won't be sorry.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:

So glad to hear that you've finally got your guitar and that you love it. I've got Brad's earlier amazon rosewood Carmen and I love it - it's a joy to play--
Stonebridge maple/spruce
Godin 5th Avenue
Vintage Slingerland Parlor
Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbancr1 View Post
So glad to hear that you've finally got your guitar and that you love it. I've got Brad's earlier amazon rosewood Carmen and I love it - it's a joy to play--
I'm delighted to hear it! It improved a lot when I had it, as it opened up. I knew that guitar was gonna be a good 'un.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

So yeah, go for that cantilevered neck. You won't be sorry.
I'm speaking with Joel Stehr about a possible cantilevered neck. I do think it makes a difference. I guess we'll see! Glad you're enjoying yours so much!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I'm speaking with Joel Stehr about a possible cantilevered neck. I do think it makes a difference. I guess we'll see! Glad you're enjoying yours so much!!
I think the largest difference it makes is that it changes the angle that the strings approach the top of the guitar, which effects the direction the strings torque the top. It definitely makes a difference, . Looking forward to seeing the way your Stehr turns out!

Brad
Old 08-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Brad. Still waiting for a start date. Can't come soon enough!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop