The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 11:36 AM

You're asking for opinions, which should count for little if you love them yourself. They are very well-made, attractive-looking guitars, especially toward their top-tier, but they don't do much for me, personally, when I play them. OTOH, I really like Larrivees and very much prefer them over Breedloves.

But my opinion should mean little to you; Breedloves are well-respected and competitive in the market. So if you like and buy one, no one will snicker behind your back.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Nelson View Post
Consider Bedell, also made in Bend Oregon I believe in the same facility. (Tom Bedell owns Breedlove). I picked up one on a flyer, and I have become a fan. I now have two, and I am looking at adding a Coffe House Parlor.

These are flying way WAY under the radar in my humble opinion. I have owned Thompson, McIlroy, Lowden, Lakewood, Kronbauer, Goodall, Collings, SCGC, Breedlove, H&D. I'm sure a few more I am forgetting. And Martin's and Taylors and Guilds and Gibsons and Larrivee's of all shapes, sizes, and woods. The Bedell 64 dread I have in the house right now is as satisfying as any of them and better than most. It may be the favorite mahogany guitar I have in the house (of embarrassingly many). Customer service is outstanding. Anne Powell has returned the couple of phone calls I've made there within an hour of a message. And they sent me two bone saddles for a no-longer made Chinese model (they aren't making overseas anymore) gratis when I was in need.

Again, Breedlove and Bedell I believe are made in the same facility. I like both. But I am drawn to the Bedell line significantly more. Give one a whirl and see if you might think so too.
Brent
Per my time at Breedlove yesterday, they are limiting their line to three American made lines. This is why they have a significant discount going on right now on their custom shop boards hanging on their walls. I played some and can say they are s good as any other high end custom shop guitar. They have a selection of wood and builds, many with beautiful inlays. If you are looking to drop $2500 on a guitar, it would be foolish not to check out these custom shop guitars. Call them, ask for photos. These are $5000 guitars at 50% off.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 PM

I'm the recent owner of a couple of Breedlove Revival guitars. The build quality is outstanding. Two guitars with very different voicing, both sou d very good to my ear.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:47 PM

I've owned both the Larrivee and the Breedlove top-end products of similar model builds and can say a coin toss would send my away satisfied with the result.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:47 PM

I think if you search on a couple of threads posted in the past weeks you’ll find many responses on Breedlove. I play their guitars and I’ll take one over most small builders, and factories, every day.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Breedlove has a major sale going on right now. I was there yesterday and wish I had a few more coins in the piggy bank. Very awesome guitars at fair prices. You can't go wrong at any price point. For $2500 you can get a custom shop guitar that looks and sounds as good as any luthier built instrument. They have several of these in different models right now. No affiliation.
Where exactly where you where you saw the sale going on?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 PM

Breedlove is my favorite make of guitar. I love and own a Martin but if someone gave me 2k to 4K and "made" me buy a guitar, I would head for my Breedlove dealer.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 PM

I've always thought they were underated.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a beautiful Masterclass Revival series 000 12 fret, sitka over cocobolo NAMM show guitar on a trade a few years back. It was a stunning guitar, extremely well built with a lovely tone. It was heavy but that was mostly due to the cocobolo which is a heavy, dense wood. I didn't keep it long as it was just one of many in my search for my preferred guitar but it was a great guitar for sure. Ed Gerhard is a local boy that does really well with them! I see him annually and he's always got a few that are awesome.

I have no experience with Larivee.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
Where exactly where you where you saw the sale going on?
Its at the Breedlove/Two Old Hippies store next to the factory. They are selling Breedlove guitars, Bedell guitars and Weber mandos.
The store is called Acoustic Guitar Outfitters. It's in Bend, Oregon. It's nothing more than the outlet for the manufacturer next door.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-23-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Its at the Breedlove/Two Old Hippies store next to the factory. They are selling Breedlove guitars, Bedell guitars and Weber mandos.
The store is called Acoustic Guitar Outfitters. It's in Bend, Oregon. It's nothing more than the outlet for the manufacturer next door.
These are brand new guitars at 50% off list. Get deal. It's a closeout.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 PM

I just got a 2009 Breedlove Revival OM Deluxe and am really impressed with it. Haven't played for about 10 years and my last two guitars back then were a Beneteau, and a very sweet '57 Gibson J-50. I was worried I might find the Breedlove disappointing in comparison but I'm really pleased with it. Of course that won't be enough to stop me from wanting to add more guitars to the stable...
Old 05-25-2018, 06:27 AM

I've played several Breedloves and various price points. They're one of the greatest disappointments I've experienced in auditioning guitars. I've never played one that appealed to me.

Larivee's are more to my liking, yet still a bit anemic. I like a full, robust tone and these two, for me, don't measure up.

Now, having said that, I'm certain that there are exceptions with some of the guitars owned by folks on this forum. My experience is limited to those I've played.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-25-2018, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Currently, there is a Breedlove Master Class CM with walnut b/s and cedar top at one of our local Guitar Center stores. I was curious to try a high end Breedlove, since I have never had the opportunity.

I was stunned that it was absolutely lacking in tone! The strings are pretty new, and contrary to many posts around here, this Guitar Center takes care of the guitars and keeps them in good shape, even the used ones. I was VERY disappointed in this guitar.

It is not my intention to judge all Breedlove guitars by this one experience, but I am curious as to how this could be possible, when this model has gotten so many rave reviews. I am tempted to go back and try it again, because other than tone, it was a really nice instrument - comfortable to play and easy on the eyes. I am baffled about the tone.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Currently, there is a Breedlove Master Class CM with walnut b/s and cedar top at one of our local Guitar Center stores. I was curious to try a high end Breedlove, since I have never had the opportunity.

I was stunned that it was absolutely lacking in tone! The strings are pretty new, and contrary to many posts around here, this Guitar Center takes care of the guitars and keeps them in good shape, even the used ones. I was VERY disappointed in this guitar.

It is not my intention to judge all Breedlove guitars by this one experience, but I am curious as to how this could be possible, when this model has gotten so many rave reviews. I am tempted to go back and try it again, because other than tone, it was a really nice instrument - comfortable to play and easy on the eyes. I am baffled about the tone.

Tony
If it has a bridge doctor and the tension is incorrect, then it will be every bit as uninspiring as you say.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion