The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Default Picking up new guitar, first time buyer

Next Tuesday I pick up my first guitar. I am a complete beginner and start lessons in June. The guitar is an Alvarez AG610CESHB. I’ve also purchased an Alvarez tweed hard case that I’ll be picking up. This is at Guitar Center.
My question is: What is the best way to do this? Do I inspect the guitar at the store? Tune it, have someone play it? What do I look for when inspecting the guitar? Are there substantial differences between one AG610CESHB and possibly another one of the same model? This is a $400 instrument, how selective should I be?
Any insights into what I should be aware of is appreciated.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:32 PM

Best advice is to take a pal with you who plays and knows a bit about guitars. They will be able to evaluate it and determine if it's a good one.

Keep in mind that no two guitars are the same, even if they are the same make and model. Play five identical guitars and one will be the best one--it will play and sound better than the other four.

You'll also need picks, a clip-on tuner, and (important) a guitar humidifier. These are required accessories. If you plan on playing standing up, a strap is necessary (you may need to have strap buttons installed).

You don't need guitar polish or any other goo. Just use a soft cloth to wipe off the strings and the finish before you put the guitar into its case when done playing.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:39 PM

Yes, bring a guitar playing friend if you can.

Inspect and play at the store. You want to make sure the guitar is indeed brand new (not a floor model). No guitar, including $4,000 guitar is perfect, but even on a $400 guitar the fit and finish should be excellent.

Take your time.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:41 PM

I would ask a sales guy to play it so you can listen from in front. Form a few cowboy chords to see if the neck and nut width is comfortable for you. Play it sitting and standing, make sure the size of the box fits you and your arm reach. Ask them if a complimentary setup is offered with the guitar - you will need a setup so regardless, plan on getting one done before you start lessons.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 PM

Default Careful with the clip on tuner

Determine the finish on your guitar before using a Clip on Tuner. Do not use one with Nitrocellulose Lacquer, Polyuerethane, French Polish or Oil Finish.

'95 Blount custom 6-string acoustic
'95 Blount custom 12-string acoustic
Old 05-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlountFan View Post
Determine the finish on your guitar before using a Clip on Tuner. Do not use one with Nitrocellulose Lacquer, Polyuerethane, French Polish or Oil Finish.
Since those finishes listed comprise 100% of guitars for sale, you are recommending NO clip-on tuners at all.

I use a clip on with my nitro guitars (Martin 000-28vs and Gibson SJ200) but never leave it on the guitar for more than tuning.

With a polyester (I think you meant polyester not polyurethane) finish, you are good to go for most anything against it since it is basically hard plastic. I don't know of a $400 guitar with a nitro or french polish finish so I think he's okay.

18 Taylor GS Mini-e Walnut
14 Godin Multiac Classical
12 Martin 000-28vs
12 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
12 Gibson SJ200 Golden Age
10 Gretsch G5122DC
09 Taylor GA3-12e
04 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
81 Rickenbacker 320JG
68 Yamaha FG150 Red Label

My Soundclick Music Page
Old 05-23-2018, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlountFan View Post
You are fine with an Alvarez. Or a Martin, for that matter.

Also, and it probably depends where you live, a humidifier is not required.

I wouldn't worry about inspecting it too much either. GC gives you 30 days, I think, to return it. You'll have time to let your teacher take a look. Just make sure it's intact, not scratched or dinged up. Look at the strings to make sure they are new- they will be brass colored and shiny, not black and dull. If they look old, ask GC if they can put new strings on it for you. Alvarez guitars, at least the ones I've had, usually come pretty well set up.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Get them to do a set up. (I think lowering the action if possible on the guitar is easier on the fingers for new players also).

And maybe a new set of strings.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 PM

I think you've received pretty good advice so far. I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I agree that most Alvarez are set up pretty well straight outta the box. You may not need to do a setup. This is where a friend would come in very handy who knows a bit; but if that's not possible, then .. No worries!! If the strings seem pretty high off the fretboard, or difficult to push down, in comparison to other guitars, then the action may need to be lowered a bit (the action of course is the distance between the bottom of the strings and the top of the metal fret). You can ask the tech, but.... I wouldn't. #1 , my experience with the techs at GC have not been good, and #2, if you're not sure what to look for, they may just be telling you it needs it, and then basically charging you $60 to wipe down and polish your guitar and hand it back to you. Like a mechanic, if there's a quick buck to be made, the temptation is high to tell you something may help or be wrong, when that's not the case.

If you don't have anyone who plays, then just the most basic inspection will do. I would look closely at the pickguard, which is going to be your #1 indicator if they're trying to sell you a used or floor model guitar. Your guitar should have NO SCRATCHES or dings, not even any scuffs or any markings at all. Some people are more lenient than others with this, but it REALLY irks me and is a huge pet peeve when stores try to sell someone a "new" guitar... which already has pickguard swirls and hairline scratches all over it... don't be shy and if you're paying new price, and you're the one taking the hit on the depreciation, to DEMAND a pristine, 100% flawless guitar. My local GC is horrible about that (not to mention hanging $3k guitars on wall hangers without the foam, exposed to bare metal, after multiple attempts at correcting this)... they kind of rolled their eyes and offered "I *guess* we could order you a new one, if it really bothers you" -- dude... this guitar has been hanging here for 3 months for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to come in and pound away on it. I'm paying for a new guitar, i want a new guitar.

Anyway, sorry for the side-rant there, but other than looking for the cosmetic stuff, chances are that the guitar will be in sound shape. Down the road, you can get a little mirror to look inside the guitar for loose braces and all sorts of stuff like that, but for right now, I would just check that the strings are new, it's not scratched up in any way, and just take it home. You have plenty of time to do some free lessons from Justinguitar.com, an excellent free website, to familiarize yourself with your instrument before your formal lessons begin.

I can't think of anything else. All of the basic rules of good business apply here; which industry it happens to be, does not matter. They should offer to polish and clean up your guitar for you before you leave with it; if they don't, take that as a mental note and ask them to do so. All in all, I think you're fairly safe; even with your limited knowledge you can do a decent inspection of the outer surface of the guitar and make sure there's no dings, cracks, or chips. Lightly wiggle the tuning pegs/knobs and make sure they aren't loose or wiggle. But mostly, just get outta there and enjoy your new guitar! Can't stress enough a beginner's website like justinguitar.com or tonypolecastro.com. There should be full sections of tutorials for basic chords, basic songs, and maintenance like changing strings, equipment you'll need, etc etc.

Good luck and make sure to check back here !!

Cheers
SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-23-2018, 06:29 PM

There are guitar techs at GC who can look at it for you. I'd trust them. You can inspect it for anything noticeable.

As someone said, ask them to set it up for you. Probably only need a truss rod adjustment.

Alvarez makes a good guitar. I've played many of them in GC. The playability of their necks has been good on the majority of them that I've played, right off the wall.

Enjoy the lessons and be patient. Just remember, beginning guitar is a challenge. The first 3 months will be difficult. Stick with it because the next 6 months will be a great joy. And beyond....

You bought a nice guitar. Congrats.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
You are fine with an Alvarez. Or a Martin, for that matter.

Also, and it probably depends where you live, a humidifier is not required.

I wouldn't worry about inspecting it too much either. GC gives you 30 days, I think, to return it. You'll have time to let your teacher take a look. Just make sure it's intact, not scratched or dinged up. Look at the strings to make sure they are new- they will be brass colored and shiny, not black and dull. If they look old, ask GC if they can put new strings on it for you. Alvarez guitars, at least the ones I've had, usually come pretty well set up.
Good advice here. I would ask them to throw in a pack of new strings anyway.

BTW, you have started off with a very good guitar.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 PM

Imo, the feel of the guitar should trump the way it sounds, and the way it looks.
If you want to look at other models before comitting, here are some crucial things to look over:

-does the size of the guitar make it a little uncomfortable on your right arm? You could try different body styles. If recommend a Dreadnaught, GA and a concert size (ask the rep to show you these different sized, than take a few minutes on how it feels(not sounds).

-feel of the neck. If its to bulky or too thin, this can hinder your learning and playing.

-width of the fretboard and string spacing. The strings can be spaced narrow or wider, and you should go for what you prefer. Too narrow and fretting cleanly is hard, to wide and your fingers may stretch too much for comfort.

After you narrow your options, THEN feel free to decide based on sound, looks and price.
Oh and get your guitar set up well, especially at the nut where you will be spending most of your time.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Imo, the feel of the guitar should trump the way it sounds, and the way it looks.
If you want to look at other models before comitting, here are some crucial things to look over:

-does the size of the guitar make it a little uncomfortable on your right arm? You could try different body styles. If recommend a Dreadnaught, GA and a concert size (ask the rep to show you these different sized, than take a few minutes on how it feels(not sounds).

-feel of the neck. If its to bulky or too thin, this can hinder your learning and playing.

-width of the fretboard and string spacing. The strings can be spaced narrow or wider, and you should go for what you prefer. Too narrow and fretting cleanly is hard, to wide and your fingers may stretch too much for comfort.

After you narrow your options, THEN feel free to decide based on sound, looks and price.
Oh and get your guitar set up well, especially at the nut where you will be spending most of your time.
He's a beginner so these things carry little weight at this point. What you've posted here is excellent advice for a beginners 2nd guitar. Just how I see it...
Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 PM

Thank you all for your good advice and taking the time to help.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 PM

I think you made a good choice. Alvarez guitars are pretty well-regarded and yours has a solid top...the most critical component regarding tone. I also notice the body style you selected, a "Grand Auditorium"; it's a bit smaller than a dread, which should make it very comfy to hold properly and give you easier access to the fretboard...same thing with the cutaway...it may be a while before you start to use fingering above the 12th fret, but it's a nice feature on yours.

I agree with the idea of taking along a buddy who has some experience, or at least taking it to a competent luthier to check things like: the neck angle; the amount of relief; saddle height; nut slots at the right depth...basic set-up items. If they think it needs a set-up, go for it...shouldn't cost more than $40-50 bucks and makes all the difference, not only for playability, but for tone as well.

Another one to pay attention to is the fret ends...they should not feel sharp when you run your hand up & down the neck.

Someone mentioned that you don't need a humidifier...I have to disagree. Get a digital hygrometer and monitor the ambient humidity in your practice space. Do whatever you need to do to keep the humidity between about 45 to 50%. Allowing a guitar to dry out is about the worst thing you can do, but by the same token, you don't want it to be too soggy either. I think it's a good idea, especially for a novice, to have that guitar out where you can just grab it whenever the urge to play hits you. If your room is the right humidity you don't have to worry. Dogs, kids, careless friends...that's another story.

Congratulations! Guitar is one of the most difficult instruments to truly master at a high level, but it is also one of the easiest to just pick up and make satisfying music with at any level.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion