The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Default 1/16th Note Strumming

What is your maximum comfortable tempo for 16th note strumming?

I do an exercise where I play a three chord progression starting with 1/4 (1-2-3-4) to 1/8 (1&-2&-3&-4&)) to 1/8 (same but all down strums) to 1/8- triplet (1e&-2e&-3e&-4e&)) to 16th (1e&a-2e&a-3e&a-4e&a).

I use this exercise as part of my strumming woodshed work and might throw in some dynamics with each pattern (loud/soft, accents).

I can't seem to get past 70 bpm on the 16th notes. I always just seem to fall apart. I'm sure it will improve with time. Just curious how often folks around here use 16th notes and what kind of max tempos you might use.

Thanks!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

No particular answer but I though you might enjoy watching these two. I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9hvyDvKHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dN91dhERgA

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-10-2015, 11:48 AM

I'm guessing you're strumming those 16ths with all downstrokes?
There's hardly ever any need for that.
Normal 16th strum patterns are always played with downs on the 8ths, ups to fill in the 16ths. I can certainly manage 120 easily playing 16ths that way (4 downstrokes per second), can get up to 140 no trouble - and it would rare to have to play 16ths any faster.

So if you mean 70 with downstrokes on every 16th, you're doing fine. Just call them 32nds at that tempo! (because with upstrokes you will have potential 32nd patterns).

Example: that first Rodrigo and Gabriela video rick posted, she's strumming 16th rhythms at around 130 - they go up to around 140 after the break. That's fast, of course, but - as I say - rare to need go beyond that (or even that fast).

This is what I'd call a "comfortable" tempo for 16th rhythms, around 110 bpm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfAJLGFWxYo

Last edited by JonPR; 10-10-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I tried to recall an instance when I actually wanted to strum in a 16th note pattern for a sustained length of time and could not... I guess when doing funk vamps I do. Never even thought to "time" myself with strumming, though...

Like JonPR said, you have to be talking about only down strokes, which seems an odd thing to practice... incorporating up and down into your strumming will ease things a whole lot!

It would probably help if you let us know how far along you are with your playing, and if you are practicing this style of strumming for a particular reason or is it an exercise that is your own "good idea" to practice?

Responses will vary depending upon the answers to these questions, I'm thinking...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Gents,

I may not have been as clear as I should have been so take a look at my description again for the exercise I practice (note it is in 4/4 time):

1/4 note sequence = 1234 count = D-D-D-D strum pattern, 4 notes per measure
1/8 note sequence #1 = 1&2&3&4 count = D-U-D-U-D-U-D-U strum pattern, 8 notes per measure
1/8 note sequence #2 = 1&2&3&4 count = D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D strum pattern, 8 notes per measure (this actually gets my hand moving in the same tempo to play 1/16th notes, I'm just not filling in with the up strums)
1/16th note sequence = 1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a count = DUDU for every beat of the 4/4 time or 16 notes played per measure

So I'm playing 280 1/16th notes per minute at my current max of 70 bpm (140 1/8 notes, and 70 1/4 notes). Compared to JonPR, I'm about 40% slower if he is playing 1/16th notes at 120 bpm (or 480 1/16th notes per minute). I guess the good news is I should be comfortable strumming 1/8 note songs at 120-140 bpm!

So far in my almost 3 year long guitar journey, I don't think I've played or covered a song written yet with 1/16th notes in 4/4 time but I think it's good to practice 1/16th note playing in 4/4 time. It takes me about 5-8 minutes to do the drill/exercise above. I expanded this from a Nate Savage lesson to improve strumming dynamics and improve my sense of rhythm.

Thanks!

Last edited by SprintBob; 10-11-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:17 PM

1/8 notes at ~130 or 1/16s at 65 - same thing, as to the strumming mechanics. That speed will allow you to play the vast majority of strum stuff. "Lyin Eyes" by the Eagles, comes to mind, as a strum-a-thon song, good for practice.

More important than pure speed is the ability to stay right on the beat and to be able to accent various strums. I've been surprised, in song circles, jams, etc. of experienced players who slip into a shuffle strum, without knowing it (for strumming and/or lead.)

A good exercise is a DUDU strum, with the metronome and, each few bars, switching the accents. DUDUDUDU; DUDUDUDU, for examples.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
1/8 notes at ~130 or 1/16s at 65 - same thing, as to the strumming mechanics. That speed will allow you to play the vast majority of strum stuff. "Lyin Eyes" by the Eagles, comes to mind, as a strum-a-thon song, good for practice.

More important than pure speed is the ability to stay right on the beat and to be able to accent various strums. I've been surprised, in song circles, jams, etc. of experienced players who slip into a shuffle strum, without knowing it (for strumming and/or lead.)

A good exercise is a DUDU strum, with the metronome and, each few bars, switching the accents. DUDUDUDU; DUDUDUDU, for examples.
I'll try that exercise for sure. Thanks for the feedback.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write