The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-08-2024, 07:00 PM

I was going to try that, but I forgot to hit record on my ipad while I was playing the lead haha.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:03 PM

I switched from Android to Apple because at the time, it was more compatible with my hearing aids.

One thing I’ve come to learn is that with the way Apple does its audio drivers, there is a fraction of the latency. Android doesn’t have a low latency audio driver built into the operating system. This is really important for any sort of real time apps, like guitar processors or virtual instruments. I remember AmpliTube used to have a version (that I bought but ended up being orphaned) that would give low latency with specific Android phones. This was because it could write its own driver specifically for those Samsung audio chips. It wouldn’t work with other Androids, and not even all Samsung phones.

Two other things about Apple vs Android: the latest Apple chips are way faster than the fastest Android chips. Not that this always matters.

The second thing is that Apple supports older iPhones for years, vs the very short span of operating systems being supported for specific phones. I could somewhat get around this by installing third party variations of the Android OS, but that involved unlocking the phones and lots of trial and error.

I’m happy to have switched, even if Apple is behind on things like periscope zoom and super fast charging.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:07 PM

One thing that surprises me about the Audigo is that the sound quality is so good, that it is no longer the weakest link in an iPhone video. With such good audio, the video starts to look lacking, especially with that selfie camera!
Old 03-09-2024, 12:18 PM

That is a frustrating part of this for trying to record solo. You really need to use the non selfie camera to make your recording, but then you can't see what you are doing or where you are lined up in the shot. The timer is helpful, but in my videos I was completely guessing about whether I was in the shot or not.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:45 PM

The selfie camera is selectable from the app. I prefer the main back camera as well. The selfie camera certainly needs a lot of light to look decent.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:20 AM

I use a inexpensive plastic mirror in my smartphone mount so I can frame the shot and see the camera controls while using the much better front camera. You don't have to use that inferior selfie cam!

A better view:

Old 03-12-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The selfie camera is selectable from the app. I prefer the main back camera as well. The selfie camera certainly needs a lot of light to look decent.
OK, this is redundant with my own thread, but the Audigo app defaults to 60fps on each take. This is such a quick shutter that the image looks pretty grainy even in a bright sunlit room. Manually switching it to 24p on each take makes the video look way crisper, even with the iPhone selfie camera.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:45 AM

Another thing I am thinking about is using my iPhone and Sony ZV1 simultaneously, with the iPhone shooting portrait for Instagram and the ZV1 shooting landscape 16:9 for YouTube. Instagram gets a heck of a lot more attention than YouTube, and nobody ever looks at it on anything but their phone.

Syncing an extra camera in would be very easy, as would the separate renders.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD