The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2020, 05:08 PM

Default The latest Sweetwater snafu

I thought the third time was supposed to be a charm.

I've had two orders messed up by Sweetwater in the past two months. To their credit, they made things right. So, I encouraged my wife to order her next guitar from Sweetwater, as all of our local shops are still closed.

It came today. She ordered a Yamaha Transacoustic FG-TA. The outer box was ripped completely in half, and taped back together. We held our breath to see what was inside.

The Yamaha box inside appeared to be unscathed. We started breathing again. Upon opening the Yamaha box, out came the Yamaha manual, Yamaha accessories, and... a Taylor 114e left handed guitar!

Come on, Sweetwater! This is the THIRD TIME you've gotten an order wrong! She ordered a right-handed Yamaha dreadnought and you sent her a left handed Taylor OM! In a Yamaha box no less! You can't blame this on the virus. It's pure incompetence. Rant over.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:13 PM

Wow. I’ve never had them mess up once in two and a half years and about 15 orders.

Hey, though, it’s a Taylor, right?

That sucks to hear, I’m sorry.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:15 PM

Well, that's gonna happen. Not. I understand mistakes but that is beyond a mistake. Sorry it happened. Good luck going forward. Fourth time a charm?
Old 05-11-2020, 05:17 PM

Brutal. My last Sweetwater buy was an Ernie Ball that arrived with a dead pickup. How bout that 55 item inspection process, eh? Anyway, I told them I wanted another, and then never heard back. Oh well. It was their loss. It was a $$$ guitar. I got my $ back and bought elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:20 PM

Never had a problem either. They must not like you.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post

I've had two orders messed up by Sweetwater in the past two months. To their credit, they made things right. So, I encouraged my wife to order her next guitar from Sweetwater, as all of our local shops are still closed.

It came today. She ordered a Yamaha Transacoustic FG-TA. The outer box was ripped completely in half, and taped back together. We held our breath to see what was inside.

The Yamaha box inside appeared to be unscathed. We started breathing again. Upon opening the Yamaha box, out came the Yamaha manual, Yamaha accessories, and... a Taylor 114e left handed guitar!

Come on, Sweetwater! This is the THIRD TIME you've gotten an order wrong! She ordered a right-handed Yamaha dreadnought and you sent her a left handed Taylor OM! In a Yamaha box no less! You can't blame this on the virus. It's pure incompetence. Rant over.
Picky, picky, picky. Was the bag of candy intact?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-11-2020, 05:23 PM

What gets me is that it was the right box. Even has the serial number on it, which we already had because Sweetwater takes pictures of the guitar and sends them to you before they ship. But somebody stuffed the wrong guitar back in the box (didn't they notice it was the wrong size?).

I expect a left handed player to be screaming loudly soon when they open their Taylor box and see an oversized Yamaha crammed inside.

PLEASE, Sweetwater, hire some competent staff!
Old 05-11-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Picky, picky, picky. Was the bag of candy intact?
Yes, but it only had 2 jawbreakers. No Sweeties or Bit-o-Honey.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:27 PM

You are the .05% ... because they boast a '99.95% warehouse accuracy' on their site.

Also they missed point 1 of their '55-point Inspection'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-11-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
You are the .05% ... because they boast a '99.95% warehouse accuracy' on their site.

Also they missed point 1 of their '55-point Inspection'.
I imagine their 55-point inspection has gone by the wayside.

If I'm the .05%, and it's happened to me three times...well, I'll take their claim with a HUGE grain of salt...

(correction - it's happened TWICE to me and once to my wife - we have separate Sweetwater accounts)
Old 05-11-2020, 05:49 PM

If they send you a Martin D-45 next time ......

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-11-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Unless the virus affected someone’s brain. This is pretty bad.

Wow...amateur hour
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Bummer. I’ve placed dozens of orders with SW (including a half dozen or so guitars) NEVER had a problem. Decent price and excellent customer service every time...including deliveries. Sorry all the bad stuff seems to be happening to you and your wife.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:

So what did they say when you called them? Because you called them, right? After such an egregious mistake

Sweetwater is all about customer service. What did they say?

Last edited by Teleplucker; 05-12-2020 at 07:07 AM. Reason: veiled profanity
Old 05-11-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
If they send you a Martin D-45 next time ......
Simple oversight. We will let that one go....Could have happened to a Bishop.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion