The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2021, 09:25 PM

Default Headway EDB-1 H.E. vs Boss AD-10

Hi guys

I'm struggling with which one to pick for my cutaway with Taylor ES2 pickup. I usually play gospel music at church.

Headway EDM-1 H.E.
Boss AD-10

Any tips?

I don't sing hence I won't consider Headway EDB-2 H.E. as I just need one channel.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2021, 03:02 AM

I haven't used these Headway units but I've used their predecessors. The mic channel in the 2 is really to allow you to blend a mic and pickup on the guitar — I never used mine on vocals but I know people who have.

In general the Headway produce a stunning sound.

The new 2 provides full EQ control over both channels which its predecessor didn't — this mean you could have EQ on the pickup or the mic or both. In practice this didn't really give me many problems but the new unit should have a greater appeal.

The new 1 should be as impressive — importantly for a gigging musician it can run on phantom power.

Both of the previous units gave great sound although the 1 had a slightly higher noise level at high volumes. My only criticism would have been that the sound was often very 'dry' and I guess the harmonic saturation will make a big difference here.

I've used three Headway preamps over the years and they are veyr robust, well made and sound great. These days I use a Tonedexter as setup is much easier but in the right place, with setup time, I will still use the EDB2.

I've always thought that Headway are a company that properly understand acoustic sound!
Martin J40
Old 06-18-2021, 04:22 AM

The AD-10 divides opinion somewhat, but I have had three years of excellent service from mine, playing (with the exception of last year!) a couple of hundred live shows a year.

It’s extremely flexible and comprehensive. Some people complained upon release that it wasn’t “plug and play” enough, but if you take a little time to properly learn what the different functions do, it’s easy to grab an excellent tone and dial in your sound to suit different PAs, rooms etc.

I run the additional Boss footswitch as a stop/clear for the looper, and an overdrive, analogue delay and octave pedal in the FX loop. That’s my go-anywhere live setup.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Hi tobby

I owned an AD-8, and the sheer amount of just fun you can have with them goes far being a simple preamplifier. For me it was better than carrying a pedal board.

The AD-10 looks far more useful than my old pedal, which I have fond affection for still. I sold it along with a guitar, and the buyer donated it to their church which is still using it as the main acoustic interface in their sanctuary.

The players I've talked to (who play there) love it as well. Solid sound, and lots of adjustability.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-22-2021, 02:50 AM

Default Thanks for all your inputs!

Thanks a lot for your inputs!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification