The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-06-2021, 12:21 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default This weekend's yard project...

So, living in the northern part of NJ we have skunks. We also have two miniature schnauzers. Minis are like many other small dogs - they don't know they are small. They think they are the baddest in the valley and will take on anything.

Over the years, we have found that in schnauzers vs skunks, skunks win. Every time.

We have had enough peroxide and baking soda baths to last us a life time. To avoid these encounters we found that the skunks are actually visiting our neighbors garbage cans on the west side of our house and our cans on the east side of our house. So I put up a couple of those plastic mesh fences that people put around their gardens between the end of my garage and my fence on the west, and my house and neighbors' fence on the east to keep our dogs away from the "garbage zones". I used zip ties and poles to hold them in place and logs of wood blocking the bottom on both sides because our younger schnauzer is too smart for her own good. Let it be known that these "fences" do not add to the comfy look of our back yard. Finally I got tired of looking at them and discovered this at Lowes:

Gate kit and one of these

Fence section

You drive spikes that hold poles that pass through fittings on each end of a fence panel, line the things up (I painted mine first) and with the help of a few well placed 3/4" washers things sort of line up. Because I was setting my gate and fence panel between my house and my neighbors fence on the eastern side I had to cut the fence panel and move the fittings from the end to the back face of the panel due to an old concreate footing that ran along my neighbors wooden fence.

These fences are meant to be decorative and I wouldn't use them to keep larger dogs contained.

The western side will be completed next weekend.

Tools needed -

Screw driver
Level
3 pound hammer
3' 2x4 straight edge
1' 2x4 for driving in spikes.
Outdoor paint and paint brush
4 3/4 washers
Patience

Here's a picture of my dedicated work,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Nice work, Barry.
I hope you have successfully prevented any future skunk-dog rendezvous.
I imagine when the dogs show up having been sprayed you have to drop everything and it’s “all hands on deck”! They need a quick scrub down or that scent will get deposited on the sofa, etc.
I can understand your motivation!
Best,
Tom
Old 06-08-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

My previous dog was a German Hunting Terrier. Very much like a Schnauzer.

She was very smart, but would NOT leave the skunks alone. Got blasted 3-4 times.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I'm glad that you posted. This might work in my yard as well. Thanks
Old 06-16-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

My schnauzer won't learn. He has been sprayed *FOUR* times.

Add Dawn dish detergent to your recipe - there is some magic recipe I got when at the grocery store at midnight. The cashier told me "this is what we sell all our customers" and it worked incredible.

The other Schnauzer, as you said, thinks she is a great huntress and has wrought some havoc with baby animals.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-17-2021, 06:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Yesterday, I moved a fridge on my trailer to a friend’s cottage on a lake where we met our larger group of close retired friends to build a work bench and swim change room in the shed. Turned out great, as was the stew and fixins we enjoyed once the work was done. Oh, the joy of retirement! Looking forward to our biannual guy’s poker at that cottage starting up again this fall.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
My schnauzer won't learn. He has been sprayed *FOUR* times.

Add Dawn dish detergent to your recipe - there is some magic recipe I got when at the grocery store at midnight. The cashier told me "this is what we sell all our customers" and it worked incredible.

The other Schnauzer, as you said, thinks she is a great huntress and has wrought some havoc with baby animals.
Yes, I forgot to mention the Dawn. I got the recipe from someone we know who works for a vet. Works miracles.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-17-2021, 07:48 PM

I’ve had five Goldens since we moved into our home 28 years ago which, a mere 40 years ago, had been a corn farm forever. We used to have deer, foxes and raccoons around. Now it’s the occasional groundhog. And of course bunnies and squirrels are abundant but the boys keep them at bay.

Though I have never seen one I live in fear of one of the dogs getting blasted by a skunk some night before bedtime. Not how I want to spend an evening….
Old 06-17-2021, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Though I have never seen one I live in fear of one of the dogs getting blasted by a skunk some night before bedtime. Not how I want to spend an evening….
Been there, done that , LOL.

I turn the back porch light on a bit before letting him out. Not sure if it matters but it makes me feel better
Old 06-19-2021, 11:05 PM
Get off my lawn kid

So I had put up a shorter skunk fence on the other side of my house and both fences looked lovely. So lovely that a skunk couldn't help but stop by to admire them and spray both of my rude dogs for daring to bark at her tonight. Peroxide, baking soda, Dawn..... Peroxide, baking soda, Dawn.........

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic