The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-15-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Althea

I've not had time to make any recordings or work up any new songs lately, but in the interest of not letting this thread "go dead" I dug up this Althea that I did several years ago. I remember hearing this tune for the first time live, before it was released on an album, and it grabbed me immediately. It's long and boring and has no chorus....perfection

Old 06-15-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I've not had time to make any recordings or work up any new songs lately, but in the interest of not letting this thread "go dead" I dug up this Althea that I did several years ago. I remember hearing this tune for the first time live, before it was released on an album, and it grabbed me immediately. It's long and boring and has no chorus....perfection

I think early in this thread I dove into your Soundcloud and found this and a few others I dug. Enjoyed it this time too. One of the most enjoyable tunes to play. I never thought of it as long and boring and no chorus - it does have a middle eight though! I loved it from the first moment I heard it. It came out on the album in 1980 and I saw them right about the same time. They didn't write many classics in that period but I always thought this was one of their best songs EVER, and came in the midst of a relatively dry spell. I don't know if I could name my favorite Grateful Dead tune, but this would have to be a very strong contender.

Kev, thanks for contributing - great classic old song. A cover of a cover...

-Ray
Old 06-15-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post

-Ray
Thanks Ray, yes seems to cover such an iconic cover is OK .Would be I guess something like covering JH's cover of All Along The Watch Tower

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-15-2021, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I think early in this thread I dove into your Soundcloud and found this and a few others I dug. Enjoyed it this time too. One of the most enjoyable tunes to play. I never thought of it as long and boring and no chorus - it does have a middle eight though! I loved it from the first moment I heard it. It came out on the album in 1980 and I saw them right about the same time. They didn't write many classics in that period but I always thought this was one of their best songs EVER, and came in the midst of a relatively dry spell. I don't know if I could name my favorite Grateful Dead tune, but this would have to be a very strong contender.

-Ray
Hey Ray, thanks for listening. I was being a little tongue in cheek about it being boring, you are right that middle part is a big part of the song. I'm not sure if it is technically a key change but it feels that way to me. I've enjoyed this thread very much and hope folks will chime in to keep it going
Old 06-17-2021, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

. Great !!!
Because of this thread I have discovered some more songs I would like to cover
As I noted I was never really a Dead Head per se. But I did own and wear the grooves out the first album

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-17-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
. Great !!!
Because of this thread I have discovered some more songs I would like to cover
As I noted I was never really a Dead Head per se. But I did own and wear the grooves out the first album
I'm really glad to hear that, Kev! Exactly what I hoped the thread would encourage.

The whole culture around the "Deadhead" label turns off some folks, and can overshadow the music. I learned about Chuck Berry, country music, bluegrass and jug bands because Jerry Garcia dug that stuff and played it in lots of different formats. When people tell me they don't like Truckin' I get that, but it's a shame they don't dig any deeper, as GD interpreted the whole history of American popular music. And I'm not excluding jazz, Ornette Coleman and Branford Marsalis, David Murray and Cecil Taylor all played with and/or dug the GD.

Sorry I got carried away there, really glad you enjoyed some of the tunes in the thread
Old 06-17-2021, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm really glad to hear that, Kev! Exactly what I hoped the thread would encourage.

The whole culture around the "Deadhead" label turns off some folks, and can overshadow the music.
To be clear to me, Dead Head is simply devoted fan, nothing more

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-17-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
To be clear to me, Dead Head is simply devoted fan, nothing more
Me, too. Some folks read a lot more into it when they find out you liked this band, especially if you went to the concerts.........
Old 06-17-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Nice job! Well played and sung. This song is a huge touchstone for Dead fans, obviously. Ambitious to take this one on. I'm impressed.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGFletch View Post
Nice job! Well played and sung. This song is a huge touchstone for Dead fans, obviously. Ambitious to take this one on. I'm impressed.
Wow, thank you very much, Steve. Means a lot to a hobbyist like me coming from coming from you
Old 06-26-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Just as threads of this sort are popping up like wildfire, I get a hair up my..., well I decided to record another Dead tune. It's an old Calypso song covered by a bunch of folks, including the Dead. It's just a really fun song to play. And two chords, so it's a quick one to do.

-Ray
Old 07-11-2021, 09:18 PM

Here one I posted by itself a while ago to keep this thread kickin.

“I know you rider” traditional and a dead cover.

https://youtu.be/n_S7oq5t4HA

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 08-22-2021, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Wake'n this bad boy up again, although it appears to be Dead (but Grateful). This has been done once or twice already in the thread, but I recorded it for my baby Granddaughter, who seems to be quite entertained when her Pop Pop plays and sings to her (hey, she's only 7 months old - tastes evolve). So I thought I'd toss it up here too.

-Ray

Old 08-22-2021, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Nice one, Ray! Way to keep the thread going. I’m going to look for one more to try to work up.

I have a 14 month old granddaughter. Her favorite song is Ripple, really calms her down
Old 08-24-2021, 10:25 AM

Nice one Ray. Let's keep it alive! I will go to see Dead and Co with my two sons and their cousin in Saratoga Springs this Friday and may be inspired to do a new one.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell