The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-15-2020, 04:38 PM

Default Help identifying Hofner guitar

Hello I've had this guitar for a while now and it's been driving me crazy trying to figure out exactly what it is, so I joined this forum in hopes of learning a little bit more about it and putting a year & model to it! I've been playing guitar for a few years on a cheap Yamaha guitar and my grandfather very kindly gave me his as he doesn't play much anymore (it is a marked improvement haha). He got it second hand as a teenager in the 60s and doesn't remember a lot about its origins. I don't know a whole lot about vintage acoustic guitars, but I feel like I've looked everywhere I can't find anything matching it. The closest I saw was some sort of 450, but there were still differences (the colour or headstock looked different, there was a logo printed on the body, it didn't have a pickguard, etc).

There's one modification to it that I could see--the tuning machines had been replaced with what appeared to be Danelectro branded tuners, which I thought was... fascinating. I'm not sure if he got it like that or not. There's a faint imprint around where the old ones were and the old holes have been plugged with dowels. I couldn't see any other modifications on the surface.

Here are some pictures I took: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yJUBgN1N8t9tq2S59

I'd be glad to take more if that's needed. The back and sides of the body and the back of the neck and headstock have a little bit of flaming around the edges. The top appears to be plain.

I'll be embarrassed if this ends up being obvious or easy to find out and I just couldn't for some reason, lol... Thank you for any help!!!
Old 11-15-2020, 05:04 PM

Check out the Hofner Guitars Group on FB - those guys are hardcore, and they'll tell you things about your guitar they probably didn't even know at the factory...

Welcome to the Forum...
Old 11-15-2020, 06:02 PM

Thanks! I'll go take a look
Old 11-16-2020, 01:29 PM

1962 to 1964 Hofner Congress. A lot of them lost the Compensator tailstock, they had a tendency to crack and break where the string hole is. Maybe. Probably. In that era for sure, that's around when they got truss rods. My 1957 Senator doesn't have a truss rod. http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/vinta...ress/main.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops