The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Default Nylon string newbie query

I just bought a 1985 Gibson CS nylon string guitar

Would appreciate input on nylon strings selection
What is the difference in hard tension, normal tension ect....and why do you chose which one to buy?
Recommended string brands?
Any other input?

Thanks for your time

2017 Taylor 414 SE rosewood

2020 Taylor 412e -R

2021 Breedlove Performer Concert CE ..
all solid woods mahogany with torrified spruce top

Roland Cube EX acoustic amp...battery powered
Old 11-02-2018, 09:40 PM

Is this a standard classical guitar or something else?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:52 AM

Look here for my response:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=525494
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 11-03-2018, 03:13 AM

This is a very broad topic but I'll hit the high points:

For me the difference between tensions is all about the "punch" the note has when struck. Basses and trebles have a little more bite on high tension strings. The drawback is that they are harder to fret. This may or may not be an issue for you.

There is also a division between pure nylon and carbon strings. Carbon strings are brighter, but also narrower. Some people don't like the feel.

If you like a compromise between carbon and nylon, D'Addario makes a "titanium" set that has the best characteristics of both.

In my CG playing days, after trying every string out there, I settled on D'Addario high tension "titanium" strings. I felt they gave me the best chance of producing a good tone and maximized the good characteristics of my guitar. There are so many variables this may not work for you.

The best advice I could give you would be to buy a variety pack (I think SBM still does that) and see which ones you like.

Cincy
Old 11-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Hybrid nylon string guitar query

I'm interested in buying a hybrid nylon and would appreciate your input.
I looking for
at least a solid top ...cedar or spruce
Good electronics
Easy playing neck

I see that Cordoba makes a lot of models as do some names I'm not familiar with
Budget max is $1200 but want to stay in the $750-850 range

Thanks

2020 Taylor 412e -R

Last edited by Thumb; 11-08-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:54 PM

I think you're probably looking for a crossover.

Here's my old web page for crossover guitar that features my Cordoba Crossover Fusion which is a super instrument.

If I wanted to plug in I'd add a K&K Pure Mini.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:21 PM

Yes, I do refer to the crossover design as a hybrid

Thanks for your link

2020 Taylor 412e -R

Old 11-09-2020, 06:55 AM

-Cordoba makes the Fusion series in 12 and 14 fret versions with all kinds of different solid wood tops and laminated back and sides for less then 800$. You can find the old Fusion Orchestra Pro all solid used. Pretty thin neck profile. You can also find crossover versions of the C7 and up that have the full sized classical body but the crossover neck from the fusion series.

-Yamaha makes the NTX line. Thin body nylons. Not great acoustically given the body dims but fantastic players and they sound amazing even at entry level when plugged in. Fantastic for recording. Yamaha over built these guitars big time.

-Taylor has released the Academy 12 N with and without electroncs. Has a small body. Has a nice arm rest. Good player. Not the volume or projection you get with a full sized classical but not to bad. Sterile looking guitar. Has a non classical sound that does well playing music other then classical.

-Kremona makes the Verea. Its a 48mm nut with a nice shallow profile neck. Full size classical body with a cutaway. Not bad electronics. By far the loudest sub 1000$ crossover I have played. Great player. Great tone. I dont see many out there but man are they nice. I feel as though the Verea will fill a small concert hall with no problem.

**Avoid any Ibanez crossovers in this bracket. They are all toasters.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
-Cordoba makes the Fusion series in 12 and 14 fret versions with all kinds of different solid wood tops and laminated back and sides for less then 800$. You can find the old Fusion Orchestra Pro all solid used. Pretty thin neck profile. You can also find crossover versions of the C7 and up that have the full sized classical body but the crossover neck from the fusion series.

-Yamaha makes the NTX line. Thin body nylons. Not great acoustically given the body dims but fantastic players and they sound amazing even at entry level when plugged in. Fantastic for recording. Yamaha over built these guitars big time.

-Taylor has released the Academy 12 N with and without electroncs. Has a small body. Has a nice arm rest. Good player. Not the volume or projection you get with a full sized classical but not to bad. Sterile looking guitar. Has a non classical sound that does well playing music other then classical.

-Kremona makes the Verea. Its a 48mm nut with a nice shallow profile neck. Full size classical body with a cutaway. Not bad electronics. By far the loudest sub 1000$ crossover I have played. Great player. Great tone. I dont see many out there but man are they nice. I feel as though the Verea will fill a small concert hall with no problem.

I should note that the crossover term usually in my experience indicates a radiused fret board. On my list the only guitar with a flat radius that still sits in this catagory is the Verea.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Threads merged.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:25 PM

JERZEY,
Thanks for your outstanding reply!
I sure appreciate the thoughtful info and your time...
Your response is extremely helpful

I had stumbled onto the Kremona brand just last week while doing research on nylon string guitars and was really impressed with what I've read.
I see that they are Bulgarian made by a company that specializes in classical instruments.
They should know what they're doing and how to properly build and brace for maximum projection and sound.

I've also looked at the Cordoba Orchestra series and liked what I saw (haven't seen any used Pro models listed yet)
I once tried a Cordoba Fusion model and found them to be very good guitars and well made with classical fan bracing . But to my old ears, the laminated back and sides just didn't have the sound or projection I was seeking at my limited budget
I'm probably just to picky but I have the time to continue my research ..

As you pointed out,
The thin bodies are comfortable to play but pretty much have to be plugged in

The ideal situation would be to find a nice selection of nylon string guitars somewhat locally to actually play and choose between, but that's probaly not going to happen in my neck of the woods...

Again, thanks very much,

Pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post

2020 Taylor 412e -R

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical