The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-05-2019, 11:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

My pain level around the incision and sawn open breast bone has been a big surprise to me. Except for when I cough, there is very little pain at all. The bigger issue is that I must remain flat on my back when not standing/sitting, and that gets very old. My Laz-Y-Boy, in which I “sleep” turns from a friend to a torture device each night.

My continuing appreciation for the support you folks show.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Well, that stinks. I can recommend a lot of good books to read.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 PM

The sternebrae themselves have little to no nerve supply, it is the periosteum which surrounds the bone that contains the nerves, this is generally elevated back before the osteotomy so generally as you say, the pain is not so bad. GI surgery is usually a lot more painful. This is not to say that you are fine if you don't feel pain, the bone still has to heal which I would guess is an 8-12 week process let alone giving time for the bypass and valve replacement to heal.

Wood can wait, your health can not.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Or maybe a few audio books as a diversion from real ones. Yes we want you fit and healthy, you still got a lot of living to do.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:52 PM

I once had someone say to me (in a medical/rehabilitation context) - that if you stand on a single sheet of paper, it hardly makes any difference at all. But add a single sheet of paper a day, and after a while you'll be surprised at how elevated you feel and how your perspective changes getting a few inches taller.

Welcome back and good healing Bruce - and may those sheets of paper come hard and fast.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Had a chance to grab a bite of dinner and see for myself how Bruce is doing - for just a few short weeks after a major surgery, he is looking and doing great, but as anyone who’s met him knows, you can sense the frustration that he isn’t able to be back in the shop already. But, he’s getting an opportunity to read a few books he hadn’t found the time for, and catch up on some TV and movies he’d previously been unwilling to spend time on. There’s still more healing and recovery to be done, but he’s set a target date of the 1st of January to be back in the shop working. We’ll see if he can actually wait that long -
Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Had a chance to grab a bite of dinner and see for myself how Bruce is doing - for just a few short weeks after a major surgery, he is looking and doing great, but as anyone who’s met him knows, you can sense the frustration that he isn’t able to be back in the shop already. But, he’s getting an opportunity to read a few books he hadn’t found the time for, and catch up on some TV and movies he’d previously been unwilling to spend time on. There’s still more healing and recovery to be done, but he’s set a target date of the 1st of January to be back in the shop working. We’ll see if he can actually wait that long -
Great news. Thanks for the update Tad & you’re looking good Bruce.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM

I agree, you look great Bruce...is it possible that a valve replacement and bypass could make a guy even better looking???
Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am hoping for higher energy and more stamina. A reasonable goal, they tell me, but there's no getting past being 72! Today I walked around the block for the first time. Small victory!

Friday or Saturday I have agreed to show someone the several string basses I own with the object of a sale. I cannot pick one up so it will be interesting. Looks like I am easing i to work mode.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:02 PM

Wonderful news! So glad to see you're making such swift progress, Bruce.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Thanks so much for keeping us posted, Bruce!

Looking forward to the next time I see you, my friend. I don't care whether you can pick up a bass. I just want to hang and chat. I'll lift the basses, for as long as I can. But, at some point, all of us, if we're lucky, will live long enough not to be able to pick up a bass.

Take care, my friend.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile Is that a Maggie?

Looks like you are wisely enjoying a Margarita! I read,recently that good tequila and good Mescal contain benificial probiotics!

What great news! Hahahahaha

Yay Bruce! Way to go

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I am so glad to hear your recovery is on track. Seriously though, please take time to heal completely before you leap back into shop. All of us here want to see you continue your lutherie for a long while yet. Don't jeopardize that with a rush to work.

Having said that, I'm ready to discuss our FT-0 project anytime you want. Picking up a pencil or tapping the ipad screen shouldn't pose any difficulty. At least you will feel like some progress is being made.

Super glad you are on the road to recovery my friend!

Old 10-17-2019, 10:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am feeling better today than yesterday again, but today for the first time I am seeing that I may feel better than I have for many years. I had been told at his might be, but I thought it just good vibes. I feel GREAT today.

Dennis: We can get out conversation going around 11/1, I think. You are next on my list, for starting 1/1/20, just as we originally discussed.

I may build a non-spec’d flamenco guitar between now and then, just because I want to. Just before my procedure I sold one of my Flamenco guitars to Ben McKee who says he is loving it.

I do over 50% of my playing on “Blanca”, the first Flamenco I made, which I keep right beside my dining table. They are uncommon guitars, perhaps many of you readers have never played a good one, and fantastically fun and satisfying. Also, I charge less for them!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

That's awesome news, Bruce!

So glad that you are feeling better than ever!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop