The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-27-2020, 08:00 AM

Default New World Player FS

Does anybody have experience with the New World Player FS 640? It would seem to check all the boxes of what I’m looking for. Short-scale, 48 mm nut, cutaway. New World has a great quality reputation. I live in Portland so there aren’t any dealers around here that carry so I can personally try it.

If any of you have played one, I’d like to hear your experience.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 11-27-2020, 11:52 AM

I have a New World Player 650 C Cutaway.

Purchased it 1 year ago. I can't speak to the specifics of what you are looking for (shorter scaled, spruce) vs what I have (standard scale, cedar). What I can say is the guitars are really high quality for the money and that Kenny stands behind his guitars. I would recommend them.

I play this instrument every day. I find it is super playable and sounds great.

I had Kenny add a couple of optional features. First, I had a port added. (there is only only one port because it is a cutaway - a non-cutaway would have two). Before I bought my guitar I went over to the Hill Guitar showroom / workshop (I live nearby) and had a chance to test a bunch of different models. I tried ones with a port and without and I found the port helped it to sound fuller. Second I had dot inlays put into the side of the fretboard (not the top).

Kenny puts a truss rod in all his guitars. A non-standard item in the classical world, but boy if I ever need to adjust the neck I'll be glad it is there.

Neither a cutaway, nor the guide dots, nor a truss rod are classical standards but I don't care - I'm not a focused classical player. I just play guitar. If I was buying again I would have the same options but I might skip the cutaway. I find I don't play up there as much as I thought I would. But maybe I will in the future - who knows.

The only other comment about the guitar is that the treble seems just a bit stronger than the bass. The bass sounds good, mind you, but it is a out of balance. I actually started a thread on this topic yesterday (in this forum). I'm going to try switching out the bass strings and I hope that will address the issue.

Since the guitar you are considering is quite a different configuration from mine your experience may (and probably will) differ from mine on all this stuff.

Last edited by RyanR; 11-27-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:37 PM

Thanks Ryan. These are very good insights. I agree with the port being a great option. As a steel string player I found that not having the fret markers is a big deal for a small detail. I’ve gotten stick on dots from Amazon that solves the problem. Also I would be very tempted to trying and get it without the pickup.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 11-27-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Thanks Ryan. These are very good insights. I agree with the port being a great option. As a steel string player I found that not having the fret markers is a big deal for a small detail. I’ve gotten stick on dots from Amazon that solves the problem. Also I would be very tempted to trying and get it without the pickup.

Jack
I got mine with a pickup but probably didn't need to...I've not used it yet (except to test it out).

Kenny told me at the time I could have the pickup added in later. So you might be able to skip it for now and then have it put in if you need it (I'd confirm this with them).

Eventually when all this pandemic ends I might use the pickup when playing out but frankly I could have just spent some time figuring out how best to mic it.

I'll add this is my first ever classical guitar (I started on bass, then moved to electric, and now steel string) so I have a lot to learn about the classical world.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:03 PM
Guest 928

I'd suggest looking up Kremona guitars. It's an old company and has a large number of options for nylon strung guitars.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:11 PM

Thanks Evan

I’ve seen the. Kremona but know nothing about them. It is good to hear a good word about them.

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 11-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I got mine with a pickup but probably didn't need to...I've not used it yet (except to test it out).

Kenny told me at the time I could have the pickup added in later. So you might be able to skip it for now and then have it put in if you need it (I'd confirm this with them).

Eventually when all this pandemic ends I might use the pickup when playing out but frankly I could have just spent some time figuring out how best to mic it.

I'll add this is my first ever classical guitar (I started on bass, then moved to electric, and now steel string) so I have a lot to learn about the classical world.
Yeah, if/when I would get a pickup I’d probably choose to get a K&K (all my guitars have them) and run it through my Solstice preamp.

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 11-30-2020, 04:05 PM

I have a 2016 New World Player 650C. Fantastic instrument.

Only neg for me is that I don't love a poly finish, especially on a classical guitar. But even with that, I don't see myself letting go of this one, or ever feeling the need to upgrade. I'm very happy with it. Much like my Martin 00-28 solved my acoustic GAS, I've have had zero classical GAS issues since I bought it. (See what I did there? )
Old 12-06-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermike View Post
I have a 2016 New World Player 650C. Fantastic instrument.

Only neg for me is that I don't love a poly finish, especially on a classical guitar. But even with that, I don't see myself letting go of this one, or ever feeling the need to upgrade. I'm very happy with it. Much like my Martin 00-28 solved my acoustic GAS, I've have had zero classical GAS issues since I bought it. (See what I did there? )
That is a great endorsement. Looking at the website it seems like they have some B grade and used interments on sale. Very tempting.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 12-07-2020, 07:14 PM

I have a New World Player 628 mm (short scale) cedar top with ports. I have owned a couple of other classicals in the past, one a more expensive Spanish that my grandson uses now. The Kenny Hill is superb for the price--really superb at any price. I have smaller hands with some arthritis and it is difficult to find shorter scale classicals that are not toys. Workmanship is excellent and tone is just what I want. Playability is exceptional.

Mine came from Savage Classical Guitars in NY and I will give them a shout out for excellent customer service.

Jon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical