The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM

Default McPherson Sable Honeycomb Weave

So, I have seen pictures of these on McPherson's Instagram as well as on here. However, I have never seen them actually available for sale. Does anyone know the story of these? I have searched and searched to find one of these for sale and I just do not see them. I am curious about the price and whether these are normal shop offerings or if this is some special edition.

Also, does anyone have a clue about the differences between the Kevin Michael and the current McPherson CF guitars? There seems to be a price differential of about 10%. What's the difference?

I've owned two CFs before- an Emerald X7 and a Rainsong DR1000. Both were great guitars, particularly the Rainsong. I have never played the full sized McPherson CFs. Only the touring Kevin Michael and I thought the touring was superior to both of the CFs I owned. I currently own a McPherson 5.0 wooden guitar and it is simply stunning. I miss having a CF guitar and I think this honeycomb guitar is really what I need to make me whole.

Any info you guys could provide would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 PM

The honeycomb is an option. Just not readily available yet... just surmizin'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-02-2018, 12:57 PM

I actually decided to email them (novel idea) and they got back to me rather quickly, as they always have in the past.

For posterity:

"The Honeycomb pattern is new for 2018 and is a standard top option on both the Touring and Sable at no extra charge. The gold hardware package features gold EVO frets, gold Schaller tuners, gold McPherson medallion, gold strap buttons. This package carries a $200 upcharge. You can order the guitars anyway you want. With or without Honeycomb and with or without the gold package."

I am still curious if anyone knows the difference between the KM version and the new versions.

I am sort of afraid of waiting to buy, because McPherson guitar prices go up quickly.

So one of you peeps with a honeycomb, gold hardware models needs to man up, put yours for sale already and go buy a wood guitar like a real man. I'll dispose of your silly CF guitar for a nominal fee.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post

So one of you peeps with a honeycomb, gold hardware models needs to man up, put yours for sale already and go buy a wood guitar like a real man. I'll dispose of your silly CF guitar for a nominal fee.
My lil Touring has the honeycomb and gold stuff... the Sable is the basic one... both have electronics... Ill play them a little later if that helps.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I am still curious if anyone knows the difference between the KM version and the new versions.
Let's see...name is the big one... I believe a few lil tweaks that I didn't notice...been a couple years since I had a Kevin Michael (MacNichol road trip thing back in the day) to have at. But it did play and sound fine as does the Touring.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:

man up and go buy a wood guitar like a real man. I'll dispose of your silly CF guitar
Them's fightin' words right there... gettem Unc!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

You're on your own Mr. K. What I will do is hold his wooden guitar and your CF guitar and give the winner the guitar of his choice. The other one, of course, I'll keep. Good luck, though I suspect that anyone named after a hardy desert bean might be a tough opponent.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
You're on your own Mr. K. What I will do is hold his wooden guitar and your CF guitar and give the winner the guitar of his choice. The other one, of course, I'll keep. Good luck, though I suspect that anyone named after a hardy desert bean might be a tough opponent.
This didn't go well...sigh...guess I'll just keep playing some guitars I have laying around here...and a piano too just cause...
Old 04-02-2018, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess all this means I just really need a honeycomb Sable.

I wish I had somewhere around here that actually was a dealer and had them in stock. But I’d feel comfortable ordering anything from McPherson without actually seeing it in person.

Again, when you all get tired of these plastic play things, I know a good baler that will crush it up real nice.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I guess all this means I just really need a honeycomb Sable.

I wish I had somewhere around here that actually was a dealer and had them in stock. But I’d feel comfortable ordering anything from McPherson without actually seeing it in person.

Again, when you all get tired of these plastic play things, I know a good baler that will crush it up real nice.
Makes for expensive hay bales...
Think I'll play my baler food now.

Was just gonna send you a Mc P to play for awhile but I fear your baler skills may over whelm even a CF guitar... I can see if it was a nylon sting...but... guess Ill just keep it here and harvest some sweet sounds on a world class (steel) string holder

I done growed up on a farm and we brought in a few hundred tons of hay every year so I get the farm stuff... unless your baler involved a court date..

Last edited by kramster; 04-02-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Guest 928

Oh JoJo!

You've activated Mr. K's Mojo--you're in trouble now. Now, you won't be able to fondle his fine instrument--not if you're just going to bale it. When he used to have goats, he might have gone for it, but not now. If you had focused on nylon string guitars he might have gone for the bailing cause he always wanted the best fodder for his goats. I suspect that his goats always had great tonal and projection qualities.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:17 PM

Hay...I'm bailing outa here in my goat cart......
Old 04-02-2018, 06:36 PM

Might I interest you in some goat yoga in exchange for some honeycomb pics?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:45 PM

Old 04-02-2018, 07:38 PM

This is good information.

Personally, I don't like the honeycomb, seems like an affectation. I don't like the painted Rainsongs either.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber