The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

There is a real nice 2004 OM-21 in the Classified section here at a very reasonable price. (Shameless plug)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:48 PM

You can get a pre-2012 OM-21 for a really good price, great guitars if the wider string spacing (2 1/4"d vs 2 1/8" at the bridge) works for you.
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 06-19-2018, 03:11 PM

Well, here is the problem with the Martin OM21.

I bought one and it was great but then I sold it to get an OM28 and it was great but then I sold it and bought an OM28V and it was great but then I sold it and got an OM42 where, thank God I stopped.

So the problem is that it is a gateway drug. But I have always thought that the Martin rosewood OM was the most versatile Martin guitar and the OM21 is the most cost effective way to get there. Sadly, usually it doesn't stop there...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-19-2018, 03:22 PM

I bought mine precisely for the reasons stated. The OM–21 is touted to be the “best value for the money”. I love mine and I don’t se me letting it go. Ever.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:54 PM

Yeah, it's simple. The OM-21 is a very fine rosewood guitar at a great price. I like them.

Nothing fancy and not the BEST rosewood OM, but really, a very fine, workhorse type of guitar.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:07 PM

Strum? Flat pick? Finger pick? Skill level? Style?

These are the precursors to put out there when asking for the skinny on any guitar. It's rare I see it come even close to being stated. Knowing that I would feel not only somewhat informed and possibly capable of providing an answer, I might also be able to suggest alternates. As it is now, I can't tie the OP to any guitar despite his inquiry.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Strum? Flat pick? Finger pick? Skill level? Style?

These are the precursors to put out there when asking for the skinny on any guitar. It's rare I see it come even close to being stated. Knowing that I would feel not only somewhat informed and possibly capable of providing an answer, I might also be able to suggest alternates. As it is now, I can't tie the OP to any guitar despite his inquiry.
This is a 5 year old thread resurrected..

I know Jack. Has a different handle now, nor this guitar.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:02 AM

It was suggested that I get back into playing guitar because I am recovering from a broken wrist (there was about a fifteen-year hiatus-- I had children, there was a bad flood and I wasn't sure if my guitar from about 1969 could be salvaged…).

I am fortunately in the position to have purchased pretty much any guitar I wanted. I grew up only knowing about Dreadnaughts & Jumbos, so I naturally thought that was the direction I should go. Also, when I was first interested in buying a guitar, the only thing serious players bought were used guitars. I don't think they were considered vintage yet.

Some online advice led me to the idea of purchasing a new guitar. I tried to buy one locally ( a few spots actually) but no one was really interested in talking with me.

I spoke with a few online retailers and decided on an OM-21. I could have been persuaded into pretty much anything, but more than one vendor brought up the OM-21, although I was less than thrilled at buying a guitar I couldn't play (I did play one at a local chain where someone was nice enough to suck his teeth when I asked him to unlock it so I could play it.... Just to give you an idea, when I went to my local independent stores and this chain, I was fully intending on paying as much as 5k on a guitar) so I decided that was what I was going to buy. That was in January.

I still cannot believe how beautiful it sounds! I actually could have cried when I first brought it to tune and played a cord. I may add to my collection, but that guitar is definitely a keeper. I strum, fingerpick, and flat pick and have no regrets.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Well, here is the problem with the Martin OM21.

I bought one and it was great but then I sold it to get an OM28 and it was great but then I sold it and bought an OM28V and it was great but then I sold it and got an OM42 where, thank God I stopped.

So the problem is that it is a gateway drug. But I have always thought that the Martin rosewood OM was the most versatile Martin guitar and the OM21 is the most cost effective way to get there. Sadly, usually it doesn't stop there...
Gateway drug...that is so funny...and tragically true!
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM

They sound great, but I'm superficial and dislike the rosewood/black binding look. I can't get past it. I'm shallow, I know...
Old 06-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Default Great value

I think earlier someone mentioned staying away from pre-2012? That depends what you are looking for. I bought this one several years back: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=324998
It's a 2004, and although some stage wear, it was a great value. The 2-1/4 at the saddle gives you a little more room if desired. If you find a used standard series Martin in that price range, I would suggest that it is worth checking out.
06 Big Baby
Old 06-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Like them a lot. If you shop around and try as many as you can you might just get a cannon.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 06-22-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
This is a 5 year old thread resurrected..

I know Jack. Has a different handle now, nor this guitar.
Ha! Good to point this out .

Because I read the post above saying there was a nice one in the classifieds. Of course I looked and looked and nothin'. Duh..... 2013 !
Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
They sound great, but I'm superficial and dislike the rosewood/black binding look. I can't get past it. I'm shallow, I know...
I confess the same. Don't hate me.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion