The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Thomas did the basic layer of finish. We are close from what the guitar will look like in terms of colors. We discussed about a slight tint on the top but that will not be necessary after seeing the pictures.

Everything is spot on... all the woods perfectly go along with each other, I particulary love the head and armrest in terms of design and contrast with the rest of the guitar. You can see the shape of the bridge that will be in BRW. Two weeks and it is in my hands !

Old 06-19-2018, 03:32 PM

Talking

A little bump one week before reception !

The guitar should be ready in two days

A few more informations :

She will be strung with a light bottom and medium top : 0.13, 0.17, 0.24, 0.32, 0.42, 0.53, and the 7th will be a 0.64 or 0.66. D'addario or John Pearse (the only ones to my knowledge offering these gauges, if you know something else, please share !)

We'll see how it goes. I'll be two days at Thomas place so we'll tweak things up together.

About amplification, I chose a LR Baggs SL since it is not too expensive and one of the least invasive systems. If I'm not happy I can switch easily.

It is a dreadnought body type, but with the depth of an OM. I surely will lose some depth but I hope to gain some clarity and a slightly faster response in return. I'll be plugged for concerts anyway so some fine tuning may be done with an EQ/Preamp.

I should get pictures of it in two days
Old 06-20-2018, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Looking forward to your next post!

You can also try Newtone in the UK for custom gauges

Col
Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3N View Post
She will be strung with a light bottom and medium top : 0.13, 0.17, 0.24, 0.32, 0.42, 0.53, and the 7th will be a 0.64 or 0.66. D'addario or John Pearse (the only ones to my knowledge offering these gauges, if you know something else, please share !)

you also could ask Pyramid for a custom made set of strings.. they offer a custom shop...but I don't know anything about prices...

I like Newtone strings and they are a "kind of standard" for my guitars, but the Pyramid strings (for example the Western Folks) suit me even more.... (sorry for my poor English...but I hope you'll understand, what I'm trying to say... )
Old 06-21-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFaro View Post
you also could ask Pyramid for a custom made set of strings.. they offer a custom shop...but I don't know anything about prices...

I like Newtone strings and they are a "kind of standard" for my guitars, but the Pyramid strings (for example the Western Folks) suit me even more.... (sorry for my poor English...but I hope you'll understand, what I'm trying to say... )
Actually, it is not that much. Pyramid told me about 10 euros a set. I got them on FB, they told me anything is possible so it's a good thing !

Thank you for the tip ! I also got in touch with newtone, still have to respond and ask for prices...
Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM

The guitar is finished ! I'll have good pics in a day or two, but here it is :

Thomas is very happy with it, after almost a day under string tension she delivers good balance, superb grain in the sound, and a great sustain and projection. Both powerful and delicate sound and behaviour.

According to him the light gauge seems to be a little hard on the fingers (the multiscale tends to give a medium gauge feel to it especially on the bottom strings. I had asked him to put a 13 and 17 to even the tension.

So we'll try monday with custom light with a 12 and 16 instead of 11 and 15.
I just can't wait to put my hands on it !

Old 06-22-2018, 01:29 AM

looks deeply impressive...and I'm quite sure, that this beauty will sound even better.Lots of fun with this gem

Last edited by LaFaro; 06-22-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:04 PM

That's it ! Enjoy the pictures.
I'll post my first impressions in a few days. For now I still have to wait two days !

Old 06-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Yowzah!

Looks fabulous--looking forward to your report.

Congrats!!!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-01-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Yowzah!

Looks fabulous--looking forward to your report.

Congrats!!!
I'm just looking too... and waiting for some sound examples...
Old 07-30-2018, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

So B3N, I'm wondering what you think of the new guitar. I hope that you are really enjoying it. What are its good points or even its surprising or frustrating points?

I alternate between my standard guitars and my baritone and I'm really taken by the idea of a seven string. It makes me wonder if you envisage it as a standard guitar with an extra bass string, or a baritone with an extra treble string.

Col
Old 01-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
So B3N, I'm wondering what you think of the new guitar. I hope that you are really enjoying it. What are its good points or even its surprising or frustrating points?

I alternate between my standard guitars and my baritone and I'm really taken by the idea of a seven string. It makes me wonder if you envisage it as a standard guitar with an extra bass string, or a baritone with an extra treble string.

Col
The suspense is killing me!

It's been a great journey following this thread. Love the spec and the look of the guitar. Like Col, I split my time between a baritone and standard guitars, and am really intrigued by the idea of a 7 string.

Would love to know how you're getting on with it.

Best,

Dan
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post

Col
Hi Col,

Sorry it's been a while ! I got out of guitar forums after all the waiting.

Overall, I love that guitar. I played it and enjoyed it every day since day 1. She has led me to places I would not have expected, which is the sign of a guitar that speaks to me.

She loves being played with a pick. So I glued my favorite picks on thumbpick on which I cut the tip off. I basically have a pick there all the time, even when I'm playing fingerstyle. If I need to sculpt the sound more I play fingerstyle.

The sound is quite balanced for a dreadnought. She has a deep sound, very resonant. The Jura spruce and madagascar rosewood deliver a LOT of harmonics, that gives a nice enveloppe to the sound. It is haunting and reverby.

I would've liked more fatness in the treble, but I can't expect to have the gorgeous, tight bass register that I get from that box and get the trebles of a 12 fret 000.

The 25.5-27 multiscale is a joy to play. I have to put an extra effort for some chords on the 2 first frets, but otherwise it really is transparent, and most of the time the extra space is really useful. So that is a winner for me.

About having and playing seven strings :

- I play choro music with it and frankly, I use that 7th all the time. The reason why that string is important is because I play melodic phrases in the bass register. So in a D minor piece, with a 6-string you cannot play descending phrases all the way to a low D because it is just not there. The whole phrase is compromised. And playing that phrase one octave higher does not sound like a bass line. It is very different than just playing chords. For a pop/rock type of play, it doest'nt have much interest

- The lack of control over the 2 bottom strings is very hard to deal with when you strum. Every chord that has his bottom note on the 5th string leaves you unable to mute the 6th with the thumb or to mute the 7th with the finger you use on the 5th string. I'm developing new muting positions but I cannot play everything I want. It is the major drawback. No hard strumming on that guitar - a dreadnought !

- Chords voicings, harmonic possibilities are greatly increased. I mostly tune the 7th to a low B or C. Almost never A, it is just too low. The nice part is that you leave the 6 other strings in standard.

About the baritone tuning with extra treble string :

- You tune the G string to F#. You have a baritone tuning and an extra string for melodies. But that is pretty difficult to deal with because your chord shapes get different names and different sounds.

Look for Bernard Revel on youtube. He plays a Lowden in that tuning. I think it is the way lute is tuned. So for classical lute players it is the way to go !

I'd say go for a 7-string if you are a fingerstyle player, and if you see a use to it.

I also think that with that scale, an OM could do the job. Plugged in, my guitar sounds almost like a bass, it is incredible. It sure would be less elegant acoustically but maybe easier to record and to deal with in a live setting.

I had a LR Baggs Anthem SL but I found that that wire under the saddle had a bad impact on the acoustic sound. I put a K&K pure in with external preamp and with a mic in front of the guitar it sounds really nice.

I am happy to have taken the leap !
Old 03-08-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
The suspense is killing me!

It's been a great journey following this thread. Love the spec and the look of the guitar. Like Col, I split my time between a baritone and standard guitars, and am really intrigued by the idea of a 7 string.

Would love to know how you're getting on with it.

Best,

Dan
Thank you guys. 7-string are not that popular, but if you find something useful to do with it, it is an incredible tool. Read my post above for more details :-)

And sorry for the long awaited answer !

Ben
Old 03-09-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for getting back to us Ben, and especially with a few months of playing to base your comments on. There is a lot to consider in what you have said!

I found Bernard Revel on You Tube when I did a search for 7 string guitars – his Lowden really seems to suit his playing (or vice versa!)

A friend recently showed me the f# retune for lute pieces when we were discussing Julian Bream playing John Dowland. My friend had found some Dowland sheet music, at Mel Bay I think, and I must say I was really impressed by the way it sounded on his guitar.

Anyway, I am very glad to hear that you like your 7 string guitar. And if you are able to spend a bit of time here on the AGF, Dan’s thread on his new baritone might give you some enjoyment too - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=525777

Col

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop