The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-29-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Unless you like Marshall or Vox, or some other sound, better than Fender.
No need to quote my post. Just offer your opinion to the OP, like the OP asked, which you didn't even bother to do.

And I do like Marshall and Vox. I own a Vox AC4HW1 because I love the Vox sound, and the AC4HW1 will be with me 'till I pass.

But if I could only have one amp for Blues/Rock it would be a Tweed Deluxe. Your opinion is obviously different, which is fine, we just don't know what it is.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:51 PM

My gigging amp is a ‘58 Tweed Deluxe.
My back up is a Victoria Tweed Deluxe.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 PM

Now that I've been asked for a direct opinion... Fender isn't the only game around. People have different preferences and mine is not to have a Fender as the first choice. For an only amp anyway.

For rock and blues, I'd see how I like a Marshall. For myself, the little DSL1 gets louder than I need in an apartment, if I turn it up. Cleans from one channel, more gain available on the other. I enjoy using the higher gain side so that I keep it from really distorting by playing softly.

Marshall's new Origin series looks interesting. Looks are a bit more Vintage style, controls are simple, and there's power scaling for keeping the volume down without sacrificing sound. The 5 Watter would be plenty for home use.

The AC4 from Vox was mentioned. People seem to like them, especially with 12" speakers. Vox also has a line of very small heads with "nutube" preamps: MV-50. Pick Clean, AC, Rock, or Boutique models - depending on taste - and pair it with a speaker cabinet. Their 8" is a handy size but many prefer larger speakers for sound. A 4x12" might be overkill?

If it doesn't absolutely have to have some sort of tubes, give Roland's Blues Cube series a try. Solid state amps don't depend on tubes running hot enough for good sound, but Blues Cubes still have switchable low power modes. The smallest 30W "Hot" version is plenty for home use but the larger models also accept modules for dialing in some specific sounds.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-30-2018, 08:44 AM

Ampeg Jet 12 is the only amp I would consider. A friend gave me his to have repaired. It needed a new speaker.

The sound?

Close to a Vox on the high end with more growl lower down. It really knocked me out and with Reverb and tremolo, offers Princeton Reverb possibilities for a third to half the price.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

If you're playing at home, I really like my Blackstar HT-5R.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/ht-5r

I like that it is two-channel, has a headphone jack as well as an MP3/Aux jack so you can play backing tracks though it, if you like. Terrific practice amp setup. It's in the $499 range, new, but you can find a coupon deal that'll get you closer to the $425 range. It won't have nearly the output of something like the Bugera, but for home use, it's loud enough. I actually bought the head and two-cabinet stack, and it sounds really nice.

You've gotten some really nice suggestions, figured I'd put this one out as well, mainly because I get a lot of use out of the aux-in feature.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
If you're playing at home, I really like my Blackstar HT-5R.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/ht-5r

I like that it is two-channel, has a headphone jack as well as an MP3/Aux jack so you can play backing tracks though it, if you like. Terrific practice amp setup. It's in the $499 range, new, but you can find a coupon deal that'll get you closer to the $425 range. It won't have nearly the output of something like the Bugera, but for home use, it's loud enough. I actually bought the head and two-cabinet stack, and it sounds really nice.

You've gotten some really nice suggestions, figured I'd put this one out as well, mainly because I get a lot of use out of the aux-in feature.
My best friend owns an HT-5R and it lives at my house (he has limited space). It really is a nice sounding amp. Great reverb and beautiful clean channel. The distortion channel isn't bad, but not really my taste.

With electric, I play only Blues, R&B and classic Rock.

The Blues Jr is a great sounding amp, but like most tube amps, they need to be cranked some to get the most out of them. 15 watts is a LOT of amp for home use. You should keep that in mind.

You may want to look at the new Vox MV50 line or even their AV15 or av30.

I have been looking for an upgrade for myself, so I have been on the front lines as far as hunting myself.

I have not played through a Blues Cube, but talked to a dealer yesterday that was a Roland dealer and he opted not to carry the Blues Cube. He said he thought they were overpriced and inferior to the Vox Nutube and AV line in both feel and tone.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-30-2018, 12:28 PM

The HT-5 isn't even the smallest tube amp offering from Blackstar. There's also HT-1 but some miss the traditional tone controls. Blackstar's ISF voicing dial might or might not be enough.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:55 PM

I highly recommend the Victoria Regal II. It's self-biasing so you can swap out tubes in any combination. That lets you run it at a TRUE 5 watts for home or small gig use or up to 35 watts. Tubes rule!

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-30-2018, 08:44 PM

I got a 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue a couple months back, and like it quite a bit.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:04 AM

A Fender Blues Junior is also a nice "home" style amp. I play my 1963 Guild Starfire III with it and it sounds okay to me. YMMV....
Old 03-31-2018, 11:55 AM

If you don't want to spend much money a VHT special 6 is nice tube amp. Low wattage for home. Used for around $200
Old 03-31-2018, 01:26 PM

^^ or VHT Special 6 Ultra if you want some gainier sounds too.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
I highly recommend the Victoria Regal II. It's self-biasing so you can swap out tubes in any combination. That lets you run it at a TRUE 5 watts for home or small gig use or up to 35 watts. Tubes rule!
Looks good but appears to be PRICY (~$2000).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars