The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-03-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
DHart, love that photo of your Rainsong. All geometric and not symmetric angles... the light of the sun, the striations of the CFR, the parquet grain lines... sort of like a Black Ice composition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I agree...a very nice, interesting capture of the RS.

billder99 & acousticado... thanks, guys. Glad you like it.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I think I remember these photos. Iirc, you had posted them at the McNichol’s CF forum?
Indeed I did
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-04-2017, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Kramster, if those photos are the Road Trip GX, I still have it, and it still reflects like crazy... good for blinding an attacking audience or singling an airplane if you get stuck in the arctic (that actually happened to me, and at the time, I only had a silly wooden Gibson that could only be used for firewood).
Old 12-04-2017, 09:39 AM

We used old CD's as signal mirrors. Look at the search plane through the hole, then extend your arm and "flash" the sun onto your thumb. Guaranteed you are also flashing the search plane. A CD is light, durable and easy to put in your survival vest.

As we used to say, "Anything on your body is survival gear. Anything in a duffle bag in back of the plane is camping gear, because you may not be able to get it out of the wreckage". I did a lot of SAR flying in Alaska, and often trained air crews to survive on the ground, just in case.

Now back to your regular programming (topic).......
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
We used old CD's as signal mirrors. Look at the search plane through the hole, then extend your arm and "flash" the sun onto your thumb. Guaranteed you are also flashing the search plane. A CD is light, durable and easy to put in your survival vest.

As we used to say, "Anything on your body is survival gear. Anything in a duffle bag in back of the plane is camping gear, because you may not be able to get it out of the wreckage". I did a lot of SAR flying in Alaska, and often trained air crews to survive on the ground, just in case.

Now back to your regular programming (topic).......
Ahhh...zee old CD signalling trick! I had no idea, pretty cool!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Kramster, if those photos are the Road Trip GX, I still have it, and it still reflects like crazy..
Indeed it twas Sir Strumabunch.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
We used old CD's as signal mirrors.
Earl49, that's a great tip, however, I would be a little concerned about the amp and speakers adding weight and bulk to the gear if you're backpacking or canoeing. In our case, we used a made-for-the-job mirror and a flare. Saved our butt... and the old Gibson.

One more thought... the gloss Savoy also reflects pretty well, and since it is made from the same basic material as some breakfast cereals, it may be edible, although I did ask Joe about that, and he didn't recommend it.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:38 PM

I have a genuine US Air Force issue signal mirror in my airplane survival vest, Strumalot, but I always kept old CD-ROM's in the glove box of the airplane too, just in case. They work almost as well, and cost nothing. And they make good coasters for your drink once you are done flying for the day....

Just don't use a rap CD -- no one will want to pick you up if they have to listen to THAT.

Tom, as I flew my airplane down to Idaho for the move, I spent extra days on the ground weather delayed in Whitehorse, YT and Prince George, BC. I made it a point to go to the local CASARA (Canadian Search and Rescue Association) squadron and trade war stories about SAR in the Arctic.

Last edited by Earl49; 12-06-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 PM

I got iced up with a broken de-icer one time over the mountains flying north along the Oregon Coast. I was stuck in the goo and wondering if I would ever get to stand on the ground again. Wx report was way off that day and my concerns became very narrow for a while, but I managed to work with the controllers and get down into VFR and finally found a place to sit until the weather got a bit better. We even got a nice meal out of it. I only had to wait a few hours that time and no harm was done other than scaring myself and crew silly for a few extremely long minutes.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Departed Jackson, Wyoming, direct Denver, with an IFR weather report, but nothing bad (no icing or convection predicted). A half hour later, it went from solid gray to black; lightning, strong up and down drafts. No precip, nothing showing on radar. I called ATC, looking for a vector to get out of the convective conditions. Then, a lightning strike that took out all the electronics. I had a hand-held VFH, able to contact ATC after a few tense moments... they were relieved, since the transponder was a goner, too. I asked for vectors to lower terrain to see if we could get below the crud. I was surprised (relieved) they could see me without the transponder.

Started picking up ice over the eastern Rockies... the boots worked, not the heated windshield or prop de-ice. As the heated pitot iced up, it looked like the airspeed was dropping. Fast. My wife was in the right seat, fixating on the airspeed, concerned about a stall. I had her get me a Post-It note from my flight bag and stuck it over the airspeed indicator. The engines were running, the plane was flying normally.

We got below the icing conditions and IFR between Rawlins and Cheyenne, WY; ATC asked if we wanted to go into Cheyenne - I requested Centennial, at the southern part of Denver... knowing they had a good avionics shop there.

Beech Baron - great airplane. I have just over 4,000 hours, Commercial/Multi-Engine/Instrument. You know the saying: hours and hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of terror. I was busy flying the plane, but I could see the terror in my wife's eyes.

For the record: at the time, the 3M Stormscope (able to read lightning activity) had just come out with the heading connected version - yes, I had one put in. The plane had a burn spot on the nose; the ADF antenna on the bottom of the fuselage was gone (where the lightning exited, I was told). No other damage. Well, except the giant pucker mark I left on the seat.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Stories of the air! A little off-topic, but a nice diversion.

Love the Baron... wonderful plane. I think I ended up with about 55 hours in the BE-58 and I enjoyed every one of them!

Jim, did your wife ever fly with you again??
Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 AM

My grandson asked at Thanksgiving: "What's a CD?"
Old 12-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Stories of the air! A little off-topic, but a nice diversion.

Love the Baron... wonderful plane. I think I ended up with about 55 hours in the BE-58 and I enjoyed every one of them!

Jim, did your wife ever fly with you again??
Hi Kerbie. Yes, she flew with me again. She recalls that incident as an example of how we handled it, working together. She has related to others about my "cool under pressure" manner... I let her think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy
My grandson asked at Thanksgiving: "What's a CD?"
It's like a coaster with a hole in the center. People used to listen to music on them.

Then wait to see if he holds it up to his ear.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:29 AM

I can't get my wife anywhere near an aircraft. I have offered to take her up in a helo and just hover around an airfield, but she declined that too. I have multi engine fixed and rotary and was an instrument instructor for a while, but now I am mostly flying a desk until the kids get into college. I apparently told one too many stories about how a student tried to kill me, so she's not too keen on me flying her around. I plan to take my tween up in a year or two as he already knows more about flying and aerobatics than the average kid who has soloed.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I apparently told one too many stories about how a student tried to kill me, so she's not too keen on me flying her around.
Lol... the job of the student pilot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber