The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 AM

Default Any love for Quilter amps here?

Hi guys,

I was a stickler for all tube for many years. My mindset is now much more open to SS and modelers (heresy, I know).

Quilter amps seem like they have a lot going for them. Light, small and allegedly -quite powerful. I DO have a REALLY hard time thinking a 100 watt SS amp with a 8" speaker can keep up with a 40-60 watt tube amp, which is what they claim.

Do any of ya'll own or have experience with these cute l'il guys (especially the small Aviator)?

Thanks.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 12-02-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-02-2017, 06:06 PM

They are some of the best amps on the market now. I have seen them do quite well with blues bands, they punch right through the drums, bass and into the crowd. Go for it!
Old 12-02-2017, 08:33 PM

I have one. It's an excellent amp. I've been fortunate to play on stage with one at my side, and these little amps are hard to believe. Straight up, or miced for a larger stage mix, they sound good and perform well.

"Play before you buy" is always a good idea, but since I've owned mine I would not buy anything else without first playing one of these.

Completely subjective, but I twice took it to local high power electric jams in rooms full of over-enthusiastic gearheads, and it kept up, no problem.

In our regular gang there are three of these little Quilters. One is used for a harmonica, one for a Telecaster, and one for an 8-string Fender lap steel. They are easily the best amps in the room. Guess I'm starting to sound like an ad...
Old 12-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Default Yes, MicroPro Mach 2, 12" speaker

Works fantastic, I can even run my acoustic guitar through the clean channel.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:48 AM

I just got the little Quilter 101 w/ a Quilter 2X8" Cab and I can't believe how great it sounds. Also, using the Quilter Bassblock 800 amp. Their equipment is first rate, and very light. (fairy dust inside?)......
Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 AM

Default Pedal sized amps

I'm thinking this is showing where the future of amps are going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Y1iYjp4cyck

Just plug your pedal board into a speaker cabinet. This would be hilarious to have right now - play live, bring a huge cab but no head. Watch for any guitar player try and figure out how you are making any sound. Better yet, disguise the "pedal" as something else, stick a Boss emblem over the Quilter logo and watch the fun as a crowd of guitar players gather around you trying to figure out what you are doing.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:41 AM

I've never heard of Quilter amps before. I'm going to have to do a little Googling later this afternoon.

I take it that they're one of the better SS amp companies out there?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never heard of Quilter amps before. I'm going to have to do a little Googling later this afternoon.

I take it that they're one of the better SS amp companies out there?
Pat quilter is the designer - he was the founder of QSC and has huge street cred.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 12-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I have one. It's an excellent amp. I've been fortunate to play on stage with one at my side, and these little amps are hard to believe. Straight up, or miced for a larger stage mix, they sound good and perform well.

"Play before you buy" is always a good idea, but since I've owned mine I would not buy anything else without first playing one of these.

Completely subjective, but I twice took it to local high power electric jams in rooms full of over-enthusiastic gearheads, and it kept up, no problem.

In our regular gang there are three of these little Quilters. One is used for a harmonica, one for a Telecaster, and one for an 8-string Fender lap steel. They are easily the best amps in the room. Guess I'm starting to sound like an ad...
Are you using the Aviator or Mach 2? What speaker size? Does it truly sound and respond like a tube amp? How about clean headroom?

Thanks for all the input fellas. I particularly like the fairy dust comment

I guess I am really looking for fairy dust and I'm willing to pay for it (well, eventually). I'm plenty strong, but our gigginig vehicle is a Corolla, so saving space as well as great tone is high on my list.

I really like the tone of the Blues Junior but I would prefer smaller and lighter.

Keep the info and comments coming, it is much appreciated.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 12-03-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
They are some of the best amps on the market now. I have seen them do quite well with blues bands, they punch right through the drums, bass and into the crowd. Go for it!
My electric repertoire is mostly Blues. Sounds promising.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 12-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I had heard of Quilter but have never played one. If I were ever interested in going SS It is one brand I would consider . I searched Quilter Labs web site but could not find out if they are actually mfg'ed in the US or not.

This is an intriguing series of videos

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I had heard of Quilter but have never played one. If I were ever interested in going SS It is one brand I would consider . I searched Quilter Labs web site but could not find out if they are actually mfg'ed in the US or not.

This is an intriguing series of videos
Hi Kev, I couldn't find it again, but if I'm not mistaken I read that Quilters are hand built in California using mostly local sourcing for materials. I'm almost sure i read that in the literature yesterday but cannot locate it today

If I find it, I will post a link to verify.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 12-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
I'm thinking this is showing where the future of amps are going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Y1iYjp4cyck

Just plug your pedal board into a speaker cabinet. This would be hilarious to have right now - play live, bring a huge cab but no head. Watch for any guitar player try and figure out how you are making any sound. Better yet, disguise the "pedal" as something else, stick a Boss emblem over the Quilter logo and watch the fun as a crowd of guitar players gather around you trying to figure out what you are doing.
Interesting micro amp format .

I think it is more like another step in the move towards smaller lighter that has been going on since solid state hit the market in the 60's. And more of an additional option, as opposed to portent of a unilateral future. In fact , what has has been happening on a limited basis, is that some of the big touring acts (particularly in mega production Pop music) and some smaller acts are forgoing dedicated guitar amps altogether full size or micro, and running software boxes that model or profile amps and feed at the preamp stage, directly into the huge PA line array systems

While it is alway hard to accurately predict the future and there is no doubt that things are continuing to change as tech advances. I personally do not think that the more traditional guitar amp, including tube amps, are going away anytime soon. In fact it kinda seems like the opposite it true and that currently there are more amp makers and better amps than at any time in the past .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-03-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Hi Kev, I couldn't find it again, but if I'm not mistaken I read that Quilters are hand built in California using mostly local sourcing for materials. I'm almost sure i read that in the literature yesterday but cannot locate it today

If I find it, I will post a link to verify.
I thought I might have read it somewhere also but could not find any verification either .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 AM

In the video I found the two rock examples to be muffled. Otherwise not bad sounding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
aviator, powerful ss amps, quilter amps, quilter mach 2