The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Simple Video/Audio Recorder

I’d like something that will allow me to post on Facebook, YouTube, etc. something that’s extremely easy to use—like camera/recorder straight into computer as I’m have limited tech skills. Maybe one of the Zoom models, or something that utilizes my iPhone/iPad? Boy if there’s a simple way to get good quality like this it would be awesome;
https://www.facebook.com/NedLeDoux/v...5750367570139/
Thanks
Old 03-28-2020, 04:29 PM

Judging by the aspect ratio, I'd guess that was done with a phone.

Couch Standards
Old 03-28-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, that's just a phone. You can post directly to facebook from your phone, even stream it live if you want. I haven't tried going directly from a phone to you tube, but I suspect it's possible, maybe from the you tube app.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:06 PM

Phone. An amazing number of folks do phone videos in "portrait" mode. Turn the phone to a horizontal orientation for a much better landscape view. Since there's a title page it most likely went through a cursory edit before being posted.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Great thanks. That would certainly save some 💰!
Old 03-28-2020, 05:17 PM

If you want more flexibility than you get from a phone, this might be a good choice:

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...ording/zoom-q8

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-28-2020, 05:22 PM

You can obviously use your phone or tablet. Also, any Zoom, digital camera that does video, or video camera... that records to a card can easily be used. Simply use a decent microphone and record your shoot. Remove the card and insert it to your computer. Drag the file to the desktop or into imovie (or similar) and edit. Or, you can drag the file directly into YouTube or SoundCloud. You can get more technical but you don't have to.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 PM

I personally really dislike the fish eye perspective that Zoom recorders impart to the video. YMMV, obviously. The bigger problem with quick n' dirty videos is the sound quality. Unless you use something other than the built in camera mic then you end up with "room sound", which isn't pleasant to listen to.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I personally really dislike the fish eye perspective that Zoom recorders impart to the video.
I have a Zoom Q2n, which has 5 different ranges of video `zoom' .. only one being fish-eye perspective. The others are `normal' and have zero distortion to the image.

I am overall pretty happy with my results with it both running it with onboard mics into my laptop to stream and running a line from my mini-board into the camera's stereo input jack.

There's a lot of latency, so you can't monitor yourself via your screen but it puts out a nice 720p image.

Only used that fisheye angle once, when I did a short video of doing a loop tune in my practice room - drum machine, bass, guitar, mandolin, then solo ... I doubt I will ever use that fisheye again. Thankfully it's more than that.

Having said all that.... if you've got a good new phone, it does a lovely job for the cost of nothing.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Unless you use something other than the built in camera mic then you end up with "room sound", which isn't pleasant to listen to.
Depends on the room, or lack thereof. Porches and patios usually sound good if it's quiet enough.

Couch Standards
Old 04-01-2020, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I personally really dislike the fish eye perspective that Zoom recorders impart to the video. YMMV, obviously. The bigger problem with quick n' dirty videos is the sound quality. Unless you use something other than the built in camera mic then you end up with "room sound", which isn't pleasant to listen to.

I don't have one of these, but Teja Gerken does and often uses it for videos. I've seen the fisheye effect for sure, but it can still work. There have been cases, editing footage with it where I just cropped it a bit to get rid of the extreme edges. Other cases, maybe a different setting? it is less an issue. On the video we posted recently in show and tell, playing a remote duet of South Wind, Teja's part was filmed with a Q2n. Mine was with a Panasonic GH5 shooting in 4K, so you can compare the difference (maybe less than you'd think, once filtered thru you tube, etc).
Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I don't have one, but the Shure MV88+ Video Kit looks like a slick way to add a decent mic to your phone.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't have one of these, but Teja Gerken does and often uses it for videos. I've seen the fisheye effect for sure, but it can still work. There have been cases, editing footage with it where I just cropped it a bit to get rid of the extreme edges. Other cases, maybe a different setting? it is less an issue. On the video we posted recently in show and tell, playing a remote duet of South Wind, Teja's part was filmed with a Q2n. Mine was with a Panasonic GH5 shooting in 4K, so you can compare the difference (maybe less than you'd think, once filtered thru you tube, etc).
Thanks, Doug.

Another place to get very good info on various cameras, smartphone video, and Zoom video recorders is Fran Guidry's excellent Homebrewedmusic.com website.

Here's some specifics about acoustic guitar recording with the Zoom Q4, but other Zooms are also represented on his site.

https://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2014...t-the-zoom-q4/
Old 04-02-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yeah, that's just a phone. You can post directly to facebook from your phone, even stream it live if you want. I haven't tried going directly from a phone to you tube, but I suspect it's possible, maybe from the you tube app.
Hi Doug (and others)

When one launches YouTube, the little camera symbol in the upper right corner area takes people to the stream-live-on-YouTube section.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I don't have one, but the Shure MV88+ Video Kit looks like a slick way to add a decent mic to your phone.
I’m thinking about trying one of these, but want to research the difference between the regular MV88 and the +kit (aside from the accessories). I thought I read there may be some compatibility issues with the lightning connectors on one of them (I have an iPad Pro and iPhone X).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD