The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-04-2020, 11:45 PM

Default In Need of New Interface

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Laptop to a new Macbook Pro with the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports, and using Logic Pro X.

I need a new interface. I already have really nice preamps and AD/DA converters. All I need is an interface that gets my recorded signal from my AD/DA Converter into my Macbook Pro.

I used to use a M-Audio Profire 610, but they no longer provide driver support for newer OS's.

I am considering the Apogee Element 24, since it allows internal preamp bypass. I was also looking at the Audient iD22, but wasn't sure about being able to bypass the internal preamps.

Thanks!

Rick

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 02-05-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

What brand and model is your ADC and DAC and what connections does it provide to connect to an interface (i.e. Toslink, SPDIF, AES)? What future expansion/features might you be interested in?

MOTU has a line of interfaces and I believe there would be compatibility with your Mac, but I'm not overly familiar with the Thundebort 3 USB-C interface so I can't be sure of that compatibility. The Model 8D has no preamps or converters or analog I/O other than headphones. The Ultralite mk4, Ultralite AVB, and 624 have varying additional I/O and preamps. They all have some level of digital interface(s) to external converters (Toslink and/or SPDIF and/or AES) and DSP (which includes a nice router/mixer and EQ/etc).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-05-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Hi,

I recently upgraded my Laptop to a new Macbook Pro with the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports, and using Logic Pro X.

I need a new interface. I already have really nice preamps and AD/DA converters. All I need is an interface that gets my recorded signal from my AD/DA Converter into my Macbook Pro.

I used to use a M-Audio Profire 610, but they no longer provide driver support for newer OS's.

I am considering the Apogee Element 24, since it allows internal preamp bypass. I was also looking at the Audient iD22, but wasn't sure about being able to bypass the internal preamps.

Thanks!

Rick
I don't have a specific recommendation
It is a bit of a conundrum if you already have outboard conversion and pres. Ideally all you need is just a TB 3 output, standalone interface no pres' no conversion (if anybody even makes such a thing )

And as you note the problem with most inexpensive combo interfaces is that they either do not have, or do not indicate a means to bypass the pre's and they have converters as well .
So I am guessing as you seem to have determined that you are looking at a 2 channel TB 3 interface that allows bypass (like the Apogee ) or find likely candidates and call the mfg for bypass info

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-07-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Rick
Most A/D converters have one or more digital outputs. What does yours have? With cable adapters you can plug almost anything into that MacBook, you're looking for something from say SPDIF or other non-core audio format to USB?? How many channels?

Here's a nice one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hz_ada_da.html

Last edited by keith.rogers; 02-05-2020 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Correct previous bad edit (put link inside quote)
Old 02-05-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
…[snip]…
It is a bit of a conundrum if you already have outboard conversion and pres. Ideally all you need is just a TB 3 output, standalone interface no pres' no conversion (if anybody even makes such a thing )
…[snip]…
This is where the MOTU 8D might be appropriate. It has 4 AES input channels, 4 AES output channels , 4 SPDIF input channels, and 4 SPDIF output channels. It has no preamps and no converters (other than for the headphone amp).

I doubt that most combo audio interfaces totally bypass their preamps, but many of them have a few line level analog inputs (but this assumes you want to use their ADC).

Usually I only need two channels for tracking. I'm using the Motu Ultralite AVB audio interface with an external 2 channel preamp and external 2 channel ADC; connection is via Toslink. On the rare occasion where I need more channels I use another 2 channels of external preamps I have into the Motu's line level analog inputs (and use the Motu's ADC), and if I need even more channels I use the pair of preamps (and ADC) in the Motu.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 02-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I already have really nice preamps and AD/DA converters.
Out of curiosity, what preamps and converters do you have?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-06-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Most A/D converters have one or more digital outputs. What does yours have? With cable adapters you can plug almost anything into that MacBook, you're looking for something from say SPDIF or other non-core audio format to USB?? How many channels?

Here's a nice one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hz_ada_da.html
Keith, I already have a nice ad/da converter, a UA2192.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Out of curiosity, what preamps and converters do you have?
I have an Avalon AD2022. and a UA610 pre
Old 02-06-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I don't have a specific recommendation

And as you note the problem with most inexpensive combo interfaces is that they either do have or do not indicate a means to bypass the pre's and they have converters as well .
So I am guessing as you seem to have determined that you are looking at a 2 channel TB 3 interface that allows bypass (like the Apogee ) or find likely candidates and call the mfg for bypass info
Pa pa
Kev, exactly! I dont need the extra pre’s. The Profire 610 was/is a great interface because it has spdif, balanced ins and outs. My UA2192 has AES ins/outs, balanced ins/outs, ADAT ins/outs.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 02-06-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Keith, I already have a nice ad/da converter, a UA2192.
The RME would accept the ADAT output from your UA and *also* act as an interface to the computer. Isn't that what you are looking for?
Old 02-07-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
The RME would accept the ADAT output from your UA and *also* act as an interface to the computer. Isn't that what you are looking for?
Seems like the key element is wanting an interface with the speed of a Thunderbolt 3 connection to the computer, which is 4 times faster than USB 3.1 and 83 times faster than USB 2 .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-07-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

I use the Ensemble Thunderbolt, which lets me bypass the preamps. That works fine. But note that you're not bypassing the A/D. Previously, I used an RME card that was just what you want - interface only. But it requires the ability to install a PCI card. Seems hard to go with a totally component approach these days.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems like the key element is wanting an interface with the speed of a Thunderbolt 3 connection to the computer, which is 4 times faster than USB 3.1 and 83 times faster than USB 2 .
You don't need anything more than USB 2.0 for what the OP is sending, or even a lot more when it's only audio, really. But, I'm sure a native Thunderbolt interface with ADAT input is out there for a princely sum. (Another reason I'm resisting updating my old Mini, much as it needs it - my FW interface becomes a doorstop.)
Old 02-07-2020, 10:44 PM

What about this one? Thoughts? I mean, do I really need any other connection options to get the most out of my rig?

Motu M4 USB-C
Old 02-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What about this one? Thoughts? I mean, do I really need any other connection options to get the most out of my rig?
Isn't that everything you're trying to avoid? It has line in, so maybe bypasses the mic preamps, but you'd be going thru its A/D.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD