The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The OP never said that he couldn't afford the guitar at the discounted price. He implied/stated that as a cheapskate, he resented the notion of paying a new guitar price for a used guitar. There's a difference....
And I never said he couldn't afford it either. I was responding to a comment made and only stating that one doesn't simply "forget" what they paid for a guitar if the price was a factor. A factor which may be due to either unwillingness or inability to pay.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Most people here on AGF claim to have great sounding guitars. So obviously they are not that hard to come by. I'm just saying ……..

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-09-2020, 01:09 PM

I can see your point about not wanting to pay more then you perceive the price should be.

You however said it “spoke to you”, this can be a rare occurrence especially for a used $295.00 guitar. I would gladly pay 295.00 instead of $257.00 for a used guitar if I loved its sound. How many used ones would you have to play to find a keeper.

This guitar could last you a lifetime and give you untold decades of joy. The extra few dollars spent will be long forgotten while the quality of pleasing sound lives on

Last edited by DownUpDave; 01-09-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:13 PM

I will declare now that I do have a cheapskate mentality but if it was me, I would go back for the guitar. Life is too short. If you really like that guitar, the small difference in the price and what you think it should cost is negligible compared to the smile it will bring to your face whenever you play it. Also, if you miss out on it, you will keep looking back and thinking you should have bought it.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
That’s silly. Guitars, like cars, depreciate for quite some time when used before appreciation starts.
Unless they're Wayne Henderson's

Last edited by sevargnhoj; 01-09-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:51 PM

I purchased my Recording King RP-06 several years ago for $299. At the time it was a good guitar for the money, and if you can find one, it probably still is. But I have been surprised to see this model, used, being sold for $395 on Reverb. I am pretty sure the model has been discontinued, so maybe that is a factor. It is a parlor sized guitar, and those have certainly become more popular over the years.

But there are so many other choices to consider now, that I don't think I would pay the inflated price currently being asked.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I see new and used guitars being offered on Reverb and eBay all the time that are priced over what many music stores are selling the same exact guitars for new.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-09-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
Hi all. I hope you’re well. Just a bit of a rant.

I went to my local shop who has a pretty good selection of acoustics. They had a Recording King from 2011 that really spoke to me. However, new in 2011 it was $289. They were asking $395 for it. I sent them a link to a review mentioning the street price and said with all due respect I think the pricing was off. It was in good shape, but definitely not new. They said the best they’d do on the price was $295 with tax included(which works out to $277 before tax). It’s really irritating because I really liked the guitar, and while $295 isn’t that much money for a guitar that you really like, I just can’t reconcile basically paying new guitar money for a used piece. The plight of the cheapskate I suppose.

Also, I bought a used Tele at GC. I spoke with the guy on the floor(the GC wasn’t local to me). The guy was, as countless AGFers have said, condescending, and aside from talking to his manager about price, really unhelpful. I ended up buying it anyway because the price was good and the color was cool. Plus, if I don’t like it, I should be able to flip it without much, if any, money lost. Anyway, just another example of GC being GC.

Ok, rant over.
We all like good deals sometimes they just don't work out. You may want to see someone for counseling if the emotional pain persists. I had this happen to me so I bought 20 guitars and to five amps last year before I felt better.😲😲😲😲😲👻👻👻👻
Old 01-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

The store has a right to price their used and new instruments at whatever price they like, just as we can choose to buy or not.

Small stores need to make money on all transactions, I can see overpricing a guitar knowing someone will want to trade in some POS. If you price too low there's nowhere to go to deal.

And I've had days like the OP where everything that's not up to my high standards annoys me,.. strangely if you remove me from the equation, there is no annoyance.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Didn't mean for it to sound snarky - just perspective. I'm going through some of the darkest days of my adult life right now.
Sorry to hear that. You have friends here. If you ever want to talk, you know where we are.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:08 PM

Thanks for everyone’s reply. If I came off a bit whiny, well shame on me. Everyone’s insight was appreciated.

I just got done cleaning up and setting up the tele that arrived quite fast from GC. The fretboard was filthy, the strings were old(all 5 of them), and the action was pretty high. However, it gave me the opportunity to really give it a proper head to toe. Polished it with NOVUS 2, cleaned up the frets and fretboard, put on some fresh strings, installed some strap locks, and finally got around to learning how to manipulate a truss rod(thanks YouTube). Overall, assumptions confirmed about GC, but I’m happy with how the guitar looks, sounds, and feels for a price I can very much live with. I don’t love the smokey smell in the case, but everyone’s life choices are their own. Some Lysol and leaving outside overnight to air out will hopefully help.

Thanks again for everyone’s input. I’m still debating the Recording King, so we’ll see.

My apologies if I came off as a whiny baby. Admittedly first world problems. Then again, doesn’t this whole forum revolve around first world problems? Ha!

I hope everyone has a pleasant evening.

Drew

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 01-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Hi Drew,

You don't come across as being "whiny" at all - we've all been frustrated with guitar shopping experiences more often than not.

That being said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
They had a Recording King from 2011 that really spoke to me. However, new in 2011 it was $289. They were asking $395 for it.
What is the street price for a new one today? A price from 9 years ago is irrelevant. For example, I just played a Taylor 150e 12-string at GC with a price of $899. This one sounded particularly nice so I decided I'd hit some YT vids for more info. The Acoustic Guitar review had this one interesting tidbit - "street price" was $699 when that guitar was reviewed in 2015. It's gone up $200 in 5 years! Furthermore, if you look at used copies, they seem to be going for close to its old "new" price these days.

My point is this. For an "everyday" guitar, you can't compare a current used price to its original purchase price unless it is very new.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to figure out how to swing a deal on that 150e...
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 01-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Hi Drew,

You don't come across as being "whiny" at all - we've all been frustrated with guitar shopping experiences more often than not.

That being said,

What is the street price for a new one today? A price from 9 years ago is irrelevant. For example, I just played a Taylor 150e 12-string at GC with a price of $899. This one sounded particularly nice so I decided I'd hit some YT vids for more info. The Acoustic Guitar review had this one interesting tidbit - "street price" was $699 when that guitar was reviewed in 2015. It's gone up $200 in 5 years! Furthermore, if you look at used copies, they seem to be going for close to its old "new" price these days.

My point is this. For an "everyday" guitar, you can't compare a current used price to its original purchase price unless it is very new.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to figure out how to swing a deal on that 150e...
All good points my friend. I think I’ll probably go back and check it out. If I haven’t built it up in my mind and it remains pretty great, I’ll just swallow my pride and get it.

Interestingly there is an old Yamaha FG-75 at another store that sounded great, was 1/3 the price, and had a big neck and lots of mojo. Unfortunately it has a 24in scale, and while the chords
Sound great, individual notes up the neck sound thin, like a travel guitar. It’s too bad because I really like that shop and old Yamahas.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 01-10-2020, 01:16 PM

I've found in my limited experience that quality control on RKs can be spotty and, at least, they will likely need a set up, maybe fret levelling etc.. So if you found a really good one that doesn't need any work, it might be worth paying a bit of a premium for it.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:20 PM

GC has a pretty steep
consignment fee. perhaps this
guitar was consignment..?
if it was 200 brand new.
and the consigment owner
wanted 150 for it. Then Gc
would sell it for 240.00
They want their 40percent.
If its a rp06 then they have one online
for 150..used..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion