The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks for al the replies!

I probably should have clarified a couple of things:

1. We don't use monitors with our current set up. So in louder environments it can be tough for everyone in the room to hear and not blast ourselves out / create feedback issues. Plus, standing to the side of the speaker, we don't hear what everyone else hears.

So, 2. When I say a "simpler" option, I mean simpler in the sense that it's easy to get a quality sound that everyone can hear, including band members, and not have to deal with feedback issues.
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Default Any Advice on Portable Line Array PAs? (BOSE, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I doubt the Bose would simplify things, as it has limited inputs and would likely require a a separate mixer due to the sheer number of inputs needed. Same thing with other small options, like a Yamaha Stagepas (or Samson, which we have) or a Carvin Satgemate. I have heard a LOT of good stuff about the Carvin, but is it easier to use, only ya'll would know???

A Bose L1C would be underpowered for your application. It's best for single shows.

I purchased the Carvin S600. On its own, for me, it's excellent.

You would need the S600 + sub + 600 extension speaker. The S600 has sufficient inputs for your group, but the 8" woofer is not enough for your bass player, so I recommend a sub. The whole thing is less than $2000. Call Carvin and ask for a discount to order all three with poles and roller bags. Some of the benefits of this system are:

1. You can go battery powered outdoors. Nothing out today can match that.

2. Each S600 weights only 23 lbs! You can take just the S600 for most solo and duo shows.

3. It's modular. Only take the pieces you need for each gig.

4. Made in the USA

5. Onboard effects are nice. Includes verb, chorus, and chorus+verb. I use the last one.

6. Built in Bluetooth for break music and USB Charger.

7. It sounds good.

8. The line array really works!

9. Inputs, inputs, inputs. Won't need a mixer.

You could also look at a keeping your mixer and sending it to a turbosound 2000 watt unit. I have no experience, but it seems better matched. The larger Bose L1 plus tone match plus 2 B2s would work, but it's over $3000!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-16-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
.....When I say a "simpler" option, I mean simpler in the sense that it's easy to get a quality sound that everyone can hear, including band members, and not have to deal with feedback issues.
I am unsure, but from your description of the instruments and vocal sources described in your initial post, it sounded like you have -- what, three musicians in this band? The old school solution would be monitors, pointed towards the musicians, in conjunction with the main-line PA pointed towards the audience. Newer solutions would be In Ear Monitors (IEM) in conjunction with the main-line PA.

The problem, as I am understanding it, is you would like the simplicity of a single unit (such as a mini line-array) for both amplification towards the audience as well as monitor coverage for the band? Assuming noisy live environments, I don't see how any "one item" is going to do the trick.

If you do decide to try the Bose units, I think you need to convince all band members to try one individually, as the concept for those things is that every musician has their own. This DOES solve problems as far as the musicians hearing themselves, but can create other considerations as far as having balanced volume levels of each musician (from the audience's perspective).

Last edited by Paultergeist; 02-16-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
A Bose L1C would be underpowered for your application. It's best for single shows.

I purchased the Carvin S600. On its own, for me, it's excellent.

You would need the S600 + sub + 600 extension speaker. The S600 has sufficient inputs for your group, but the 8" woofer is not enough for your bass player, so I recommend a sub. The whole thing is less than $2000. Call Carvin and ask for a discount to order all three with poles and roller bags. Some of the benefits of this system are:

1. You can go battery powered outdoors. Nothing out today can match that.

2. Each S600 weights only 23 lbs! You can take just the S600 for most solo and duo shows.

3. It's modular. Only take the pieces you need for each gig.

4. Made in the USA

5. Onboard effects are nice. Includes verb, chorus, and chorus+verb. I use the last one.

6. Built in Bluetooth for break music and USB Charger.

7. It sounds good.

8. The line array really works!

9. Inputs, inputs, inputs. Won't need a mixer.

You could also look at a keeping your mixer and sending it to a turbosound 2000 watt unit. I have no experience, but it seems better matched. The larger Bose L1 plus tone match plus 2 B2s would work, but it's over $3000!

Talk about adding fuel to a GAS fire thats already on the verge of being uncontrollable. I'm 97.42% sure I'm getting a Carvin S600b as soon as I figure out a way around my wifes defense.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Talk about adding fuel to a GAS fire thats already on the verge of being uncontrollable. I'm 97.42% sure I'm getting a Carvin S600b as soon as I figure out a way around my wifes defense.

My sincere apologies. I intentionally downplayed it in the other thread so as not to ignite your GAS. Good luck with the Wife jujitsu. I usually lose most of those.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
My sincere apologies. I intentionally downplayed it in the other thread so as not to ignite your GAS. Good luck with the Wife jujitsu. I usually lose most of those.

I call B.S. Your not sorry at all. In fact I can see you snickering through my phone.
But I will have to wait awhile since I just ordered the Boss GT-100. I used the suprise sucker punch then ask for forgivness technique. That works every now and then, 3X a year max and never twice in a row. Back to the wife jujitsu gym for more training. The S600b with the wireless reciever wont come that easy.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 AM

Default Any Advice on Portable Line Array PAs? (BOSE, etc)

Quote:
I call B.S. Your not sorry at all. In fact I can see you snickering through my phone.

But I will have to wait awhile since I just ordered the Boss GT-100. I used the suprise sucker punch then ask for forgivness technique. That works every now and then, 3X a year max and never twice in a row. Back to the wife jujitsu gym for more training. The S600b with the wireless reciever wont come that easy.

You know many potent moves grasshopper.

[bows]

p.s. the ask for forgiveness technique works max once a year. You're living dangerously my friend.

Oh, and I'm totally considering adding the wireless pack for the guitar. Just trying to decide if I should buy a separate one to use with my other equipment, which seems like, maybe, a better investment.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-17-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
You know many potent moves grasshopper.

[bows]

p.s. the ask for forgiveness technique works max once a year. You're living dangerously my friend.

Oh, and I'm totally considering adding the wireless pack for the guitar. Just trying to decide if I should buy a separate one to use with my other equipment, which seems like, maybe, a better investment.

Well the AFFT only works within a certain price range, typically under $400-500. Anything over $500 requires a more advance technique which involves first asking/planting the seed then waiting for that seed to sprout and mature. You have to water that seed every so often in the form of reminders that you really NEED that object. Then once it goes on sale its time to harvest.
60% of the time it works everytime.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Well the AFFT only works within a certain price range, typically under $400-500. Anything over $500 requires a more advance technique which involves first asking/planting the seed then waiting for that seed to sprout and mature. You have to water that seed every so often in the form of reminders that you really NEED that object. Then once it goes on sale its time to harvest.

60% of the time it works everytime.

Master! Teach me more of your wisdom?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM

I agree with others in that your current system is the one to keep using - and as the problem is really monitoring, add a couple of powered monitors to the system - to use when you need them. I'd guess that the problem of hearing yourselves is only when you are playing a larger/louder venue, so going to a single line array column/sub would not solve that at all. I've played with people using 2 line arrays (Bose in one case and Fishman in the other), with separate mic/instrument in each one. It was not easy getting a decent balance.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM

I'm looking into going wireless as well, what are your recommendations for this?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

One issue that doesn't get discussed enough in these line array threads is proximity. You always want to be at least a few feet away from them. On small stages where you are right against the wall it can be hard to get enough distance and your ear fatigue will be considerable.

With the size of your group I would use two line array units in tandem and be prepared to haul out your QSC setup when appropriate. That much sound coming from a single unit will get cluttered and muddy in my experience. Once you start hauling two of those and maybe a sub and maybe a mixer the advantages of line array over a powered speaker setup diminish. I know there are people using a single unit for larger acts with some success but those the basic line array units really shine where you have one or two musicians and a simple setup. It's what they are designed for. The bigger Bose unit and the Carvin are probably the exception. The modular aspect of the Carvin is great if you sometimes gig with only one or two members but if you mostly do full band gigs you'll be hauling the unit, the sub and the extension at least which again doesn't have a huge advantage over what you have and you still have to locate it far enough from your ears for the sound to disperse a bit. With multiple members that can be tricky.

I would just get a couple more K10's and call it a day. With 3 or 4 band members hauling and setting up a PA should be pretty easy. I love my SA220 and might sell it and grab the new version but I'll never get rid of my powered speakers and mixer.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I'm looking into going wireless as well, what are your recommendations for this?
Could get a seperate system and plug that into your board. I like that the Carvin has this option built in and ready to go. I'm a big fan of the "Keep it simple stupid" philosophy. And there is nothing on the market that is as simple yet chalk full of features as the S600b. Plug in and go. You can set up and play a flash mob gig and still be able to run from the cops. BRILLIANT!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 AM

How about the RCF EVOX 8? It has 120 degree horizontal coverage and looks like it would have plenty of power. Anybody have hands on experience with these?

http://www.rcf.it/professional-speak...ms/evox/evox-8
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
How about the RCF EVOX 8? It has 120 degree horizontal coverage and looks like it would have plenty of power. Anybody have hands on experience with these?

http://www.rcf.it/professional-speak...ms/evox/evox-8

I saw a bench tear down video of this unit. It has quality components for sure. It's also expensive. For a cheaper option, the Harbinger M350 (sorry going from memory?) is similar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification