The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Currently own a Bose L1 - looking for a system that's even more portable?

Subject says it all. I've used a Bose L1 for the last 3 years. I bought it mostly for the fact that it breaks down into multiple pieces but also because of it's crisp sound and decently small footprint. At that time I was driving a Jeep Wrangler and needed a system that would fit in there, but I've since purchased a Grand Cherokee and have much more "leg room".

Recently my L1 has felt more like a burden than a convenience. The speakers/base/woofer are bulky and heavy. It's almost as if it doesn't feel very "portable" anymore. I haven't really kept up with the technology in the last few years, so I'd love any guidance from you all for a solo acoustic musician that plays happy hour and other bar gigs. I also sometimes perform at weddings for cocktail hour/ceremony background music.

Suggestions or even things to stay away from are much appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

TL;DR: Looking for a new, more portable PA system to replace my 3-year-old Bose L1.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 AM

I assume you own the L1 classic. I use the L1 compact now. 30lbs, 2 pieces, and loud enough for any gig I play.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I assume you own the L1 classic. I use the L1 compact now. 30lbs, 2 pieces, and loud enough for any gig I play.
Forgot to mention that part. Yes, I have the "middle" level L1. It's got the base that is reminiscent of a Fisher-Price basketball hoop, the 2 tower speakers, and 1 sub.

I contemplated the L1 Compact but know that it's limited in terms of inputs. I also find the design of the L1 series a bit awkward in terms of positioning myself. Often times I set up in the corner of a room and if I'm not set up just right, I pick up feedback. That problem may actually be addressed if I went with the compact model - the base on the middle level model is awkwardly shaped and tough to position.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 AM

The SA220 by Fishman is only one tower and no sub. It has a stand also. Provided with the 220 is an awesome bag that holds the tower and the stand in one. The bag has nicely padded shoulder straps and carrying handles as well. The bag alone would cost over $100. You can pick up SA220's for $700 and the sound is really awesome if you eq it correctly. Check it out. Its a lot easier than the Bose L1 which I also had and got rid of due to the weight issue.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
The SA220 by Fishman is only one tower and no sub. It has a stand also. Provided with the 220 is an awesome bag that holds the tower and the stand in one. The bag has nicely padded shoulder straps and carrying handles as well. The bag alone would cost over $100. You can pick up SA220's for $700 and the sound is really awesome if you eq it correctly. Check it out. Its a lot easier than the Bose L1 which I also had and got rid of due to the weight issue.
How would you compare the SA220 and the Bose in terms of sound? The Bose I use now is rated for audiences of 300..I don't typically play audiences of 300, but I like knowing that I can totally crank. I'd be slightly worried about bass with no sub.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-14-2015, 11:24 AM

As I understand it, the SA220 is engineered for the ranges of human voice and acoustic guitar and in my experience, it provides plenty of bass for those. If you're running something else, like a keyboard, you'd probably be lacking, but I've never been disappointed with how my SA has done even outside and yes, to an audience area in the 300 range, by my estimate. Best gear purchase I've ever made.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
As I understand it, the SA220 is engineered for the ranges of human voice and acoustic guitar and in my experience, it provides plenty of bass for those. If you're running something else, like a keyboard, you'd probably be lacking, but I've never been disappointed with how my SA has done even outside and yes, to an audience area in the 300 range, by my estimate. Best gear purchase I've ever made.
This is great feedback, thank you. I'm kind of a Bose "fangirl", so I think I'm just having trouble with the idea of NOT having a Bose system. In all reality, I think it's more worth it to me to have the portability/ease of the SA220. Plus, I continue to read first hand experiences of people who say phenomenal things about it's sound. I'm going to run to Guitar Center at some point this week so I can fiddle around with it.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 AM

I've played through the Bose and the Fishman. I think you'll miss the sound of the Bose but the Fishman is definitely more friendly to set up and use.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM

I'm not crazy about either the Bose or the Fishman, but the Bose sounds better. I HATE the Fishman sticks ... there's a local open mic that uses one, and I rarely go just because I hate playing through that Fishman.

If you need more portability than the Bose you already own, you might be better off with a good acoustic amp.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Forgot to mention that part. Yes, I have the "middle" level L1. It's got the base that is reminiscent of a Fisher-Price basketball hoop, the 2 tower speakers, and 1 sub.

I contemplated the L1 Compact but know that it's limited in terms of inputs. I also find the design of the L1 series a bit awkward in terms of positioning myself. Often times I set up in the corner of a room and if I'm not set up just right, I pick up feedback. That problem may actually be addressed if I went with the compact model - the base on the middle level model is awkwardly shaped and tough to position.
The L1 Compact works with the ToneMatch and other mixers. The subwoofer is built into the small footprint base unit and is easy to position. Ric
Old 04-14-2015, 12:58 PM

I had one of the original Bose L1 systems.....those earlier systems had a big heavy base unit that was sort of the shape of a semi-circle. It took me one trip to the car to retrieve that base unit, another trip to get the sub-woofer, and a third trip to get the vertical *stick* parts of the system. I totally relate to the OP's sentiment.

At the time, I was using my Bose L1 as a personal PA of sorts to mic my electric guitar amplifier. While there were a lot of things about the Bose system I liked, it didn't play nice with the rest of the band's PA gear and I decided to get rid of it. For a compact line array (i.e. "stick" system) for more solo-oriented work, I prefer the Fishman SA 220, which has larger mid-bass speakers and incorporates a tweaker in a "one-trip" sized package.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM

Get the Schertler Jam 400, I play through a Bose L1 3 days a week and I prefer the Schertler. One of my gigs has the L1 on site, so I just bought a T1 mixer to program my own settings, and I did about 50 3-hour gigs with that system this last winter. For most of my other gigs I used the Schertler and every time I plugged into it I felt I was getting a nicer warmer tone.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I had one of the original Bose L1 systems.....those earlier systems had a big heavy base unit that was sort of the shape of a semi-circle. It took me one trip to the car to retrieve that base unit, another trip to get the sub-woofer, and a third trip to get the vertical *stick* parts of the system. I totally relate to the OP's sentiment.

At the time, I was using my Bose L1 as a personal PA of sorts to mic my electric guitar amplifier. While there were a lot of things about the Bose system I liked, it didn't play nice with the rest of the band's PA gear and I decided to get rid of it. For a compact line array (i.e. "stick" system) for more solo-oriented work, I prefer the Fishman SA 220, which has larger mid-bass speakers and incorporates a tweaker in a "one-trip" sized package.
Bingo. Between my L1 and my guitar/stands/cords, I'm 5-6 trips out to the car and back. The L1 itself is at least 3.

Do you miss the Bose sound?

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 PM

And I bought the Shertler Jam 400 and sold it shortly thereafter because it does not have a tweeter. I like to hear the crisp highs and the Jam 400 just didn't do it for me even with a top notch mixer. I bought the Shertler Unico and its a different animal than the Jam 400. Its loud, clear as can be, has a tweeter, is easily carried by the top handle, is ready for a pole stand, has three channels that can handle most anything you throw at it. I direct out that to my Fishman SA220 for larger audiences. Both can sit behind me for monitors without any feedback and I use condensor mics on my vocal and guitar as well as a Lyric inside. Never heard better sound in any studio or live application.

To each his own IMHO. But if you can play YOUR guitar through what you want to buy before buying, I highly suggest it. On this great forum you will get lots of great feedback and info. But in the end, it comes down to the tone you want, not the tone someone else thinks is good, including me. Great forum for a lot of things including shopping and hearing from others what their experience is. I use it a lot for those reasons and have saved myself a lot of grief because of it.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Get the Schertler Jam 400, I play through a Bose L1 3 days a week and I prefer the Schertler. One of my gigs has the L1 on site, so I just bought a T1 mixer to program my own settings, and I did about 50 3-hour gigs with that system this last winter. For most of my other gigs I used the Schertler and every time I plugged into it I felt I was getting a nicer warmer tone.
Does the Schertler mount on a stand or is it a floor system? I'm not really into floor equipment. It's also a bit out of my price range.

I may reconsider the Bose L1 Compact. It does look shockingly more portable than the model I have now. Don't let the picture fool you, those tower speakers and the speaker base is friggin' heavy:

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification