The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi leesam...

Zooming takes the place of cropping…and UnrealBook remembers where you zoomed, and how you framed the page till you close the app.

ah sounds good. my main use would be for church and using chord charts(w/lyrics) over 90% of the stuff we have was down loaded from CCLI. there are some charts I had to create myself that are on word files but can convert them to a pdf.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
Larry will unrealbook zoom and crop a pdf file on the iPad. There is a Android based tablet app that does not from what I have read. This feature may be useful to me as I can make some chord charts even larger and easier to see lol.

as for anyone using OnSong with that zoom and crop a PDF file.
OnSong lets you zoom in and then if you go into the general settings for OnSong there is the option to remember zooming. Once that is set, it remembers your last view of the song. It does not crop PDF files that I know of, however with the zoom "remembered" enabled, really no need. It also remembers this even after you close the app. So when you open it again, its right where you left it.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM

May I chime in and offer both some thoughts, as well as thank Larry J: huge thanks to you, man, for all the conversation and your advice!

I am now a few months old on my new iPad with UnrealBook. Also am using the Airturn Bluetooth footpedal. There's a bit of a learning curve in getting songs loaded up (been an avid/proficient PC user for decades, but largely mac ignorant, and my first "i" device), but now am zooming around with relative ease.

It rocks, bar none, a great combo the iPad and UnrealBook. Live play (heck, even group rehearsal or my own practice time) is excellent with these pieces. Annotating has become second nature (if annotation isn't easy then said device is useless to me), and building setlists is cake. Modifications is likewise cake.

Give me some time and maybe I could think of something bad to say, but I can't because so far; UnrealBook has performed flawlessly in these few months of actual and regular use. One feature that would have been nice is being able to read docs. But buying "Pages" ($10 app) is all you need, and makes editing/converting to pdf a breeze (tried the free ones, they suck IMHO; Pages is worth every penny). Or convert on your home computer and simply send em to your iPad as pdfs. Oh, and on stage I simply use a regular music stand as I chose to put my iPad into an otterbox. Gear goes into gigbags with cables and such ...I need "tough."

Just thought I'd add that in. And again, thanks, Larry, for sharing your time and experience!

Edward
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM

I am a android user, been using ASUS Transformer 10" with the app Songbook. It has a PC version to do all your editing and drag drop from explorer or us cloud. The app handles various formats and a lot of great features. My mount is a Hercules tablet mount for a mic stand and comes with an adapter to set on a desk. Overall I have no complaint and share files in chordpro from a buddy using Ipad.

And a few others
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM

I downloaded OnSong, but I can't figure out the simplest of things - I'm just trying to do the Import function, selecting the Internet as the source, to see what kind of songs already exist for me to pull into the app. No matter what title/phrase/word I type in, all I get is No Songs Found. what am I doing wrong?
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 05-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Man I'm just not sure on that one. I would highly recommend using DropBox to store, import and sync to OnSong. Dump your songs into DropBox and it's beautiful!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyee View Post
I downloaded OnSong, but I can't figure out the simplest of things - I'm just trying to do the Import function, selecting the Internet as the source, to see what kind of songs already exist for me to pull into the app. No matter what title/phrase/word I type in, all I get is No Songs Found. what am I doing wrong?
Are you trying to move the files via iTunes, DropBox, or what? The way I use it is via iTunes. I connect the iPad to iTunes and then under the Apps tab I scroll down to the bottom to see other apps that allow me to copy to/from files. Select OnSong and then add your files there.

After you have done that disconnect the iPad and open up OnSong and then go to Import and select iTunes. Select all the files you want and then it will import it into the main list of songs. So far it won't take Rich text Files, so ignore them. Regular TXT files are best, that way you can change fonts, transpose, and change the colors as you want.

Hope this helps some.

Joe
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 PM

I SWEAR I'm not peddling anything here...I have nothing to sell. But I did make this site http://www.setsoup.com for my own personal use (though, you can register and use as well). It's very raw. It works for me, but a lot of the refinements have not been added.

Basically (for those that don't care to look directly)...it's a site that lets you store your chord charts online, then assemble them in "set lists" and print them (or generate PDFs of them). Again - I'm not selling anything, nor am I asking you to necessarily use it.

However - what I'm wondering is - is there a use for having something like this with an accompanying iPad app that could display the information you put in it? I don't even know how to program for iPad yet, but I'm considering it.

For me, I just make my setlists and print them on paper.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:23 AM

I've been using an ipad and Unrealbook for only a few weeks now. I chose this system & software based on readings here on the AGF.

I took to it like a duck to water! Easy to use and cool as heck.
I'm still in the process of scanning/saving/uploading some 2-300 songs, and that takes a little time. But it's going smoothly.

I should have done it years ago. Thanks for all the help and advice!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
I SWEAR I'm not peddling anything here...I have nothing to sell. But I did make this site http://www.setsoup.com for my own personal use (though, you can register and use as well). It's very raw. It works for me, but a lot of the refinements have not been added.

Basically (for those that don't care to look directly)...it's a site that lets you store your chord charts online, then assemble them in "set lists" and print them (or generate PDFs of them). Again - I'm not selling anything, nor am I asking you to necessarily use it.

However - what I'm wondering is - is there a use for having something like this with an accompanying iPad app that could display the information you put in it? I don't even know how to program for iPad yet, but I'm considering it.

For me, I just make my setlists and print them on paper.
Hi ferg...

It sounds like the setsoup is an online service therefore requires online access to make it work.

The apps mentioned here (UnrealBook & OnSong) are self-contained apps where you load the songs into the app using the iPad and then use that data-base to build set lists.

How do you see setsoup as unique or different?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ferg...

It sounds like the setsoup is an online service therefore requires online access to make it work.

The apps mentioned here (UnrealBook & OnSong) are self-contained apps where you load the songs into the app using the iPad and then use that data-base to build set lists.

How do you see setsoup as unique or different?

Larry, you're right - currently it's online only, but I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth putting the effort in to move it forward.

My ultimate goal for setsoup (assuming I can assemble the skills to get it there) is that there would be an iPad app and an online app, and there would be a 2-way sync between them.

The first version of the app would probably just be a 1-way sync, i.e. you would enter the information online (that's the part that exists now), and you'd have the ability to, when connected, download the information to the iPad and use it offline.

Eventually, I'd add an interface to the iPad app for entering the information directly onto the iPad and have the sync work both ways.

I will, for me anyway, be a fair bit of work, and I'm trying to determine if this has any real value to anyone other than myself. The ultimate benefits of the final system would be:

1. The ability to enter the information on a computer. For me, personally, this is important, but I'm not sure others feel that way. I'm still just much more comfortable with a keyboard and mouse for some tasks. I'm also planning on adding some lyrics features, and I find both typing lengthy amounts and copy/paste operations are easier on a computer.

2. The ability to synchronize across multiple devices, i.e. your information is centrally stored.

In addition, the online version of the system has been designed (though this feature has not been built out yet), to allow you to share the information that you put into it, if you so choose. This can be by specifying other band members (and even allowing them to edit lists/charts and such) and making data that you choose public. So, ultimately, there could be a fairly large catalog of public information (this is cool, though I'm not sure what this means w/ regard to copyright, so this may ultimately never take off).

I guess, in general, what I'm curious about is - are these or potentially other features in an iPad app that would be compelling to iPad users beyond what's already available? If there are not, then I would just develop for my own needs. If so, I might put in the time to try to make it something that would be better for others as well.

This whole thing just started because I wanted somewhere to catalog my songs. A few years back, I ended a long hiatus of performing, and I found myself having to re-learn a lot of my songs. This meant going out and digging up old recordings and re-figuring out how they went. I wanted a central database that stored the information.

Seeing threads like this, though, made me wonder if there might be some value in developing an iPad app that provided some feature set that doesn't already exist. I don't even have an iPad... yet.

So, anyway - if you, or anyone else, has any thoughts, I'd be grateful to hear them. I don't know if I really have the time to take this on, but it's something I'm considering, and having the feedback from the community here would certainly be very helpful if I do decide to continue with development.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...So, anyway - if you, or anyone else, has any thoughts, I'd be grateful to hear them. I don't know if I really have the time to take this on, but it's something I'm considering, and having the feedback from the community here would certainly be very helpful if I do decide to continue with development.
Hi ferg...

Evernote, Dropbox and Google Drive are all already there…and very mature. And the integration runs both ways...computer to iPad, or viceversa.

Since they are cloud based anywhere you are connected you are good to go.

By the way, and back on topic, all my iPads have been the 3G or LTE (4G) connected machines. That way I have full internet access everywhere, and don't have to run around a venue asking for passwords to jump onto WiFi.

It's worth the extra $129 because you also get the GPS transmitter/receiver with the cell connected units (not with the WiFi only). GPS Navigation is awesome on an iPad (Motion-X Drive or Waze etc).

Anyway, I've been putting all my choruses up on Google Drive so I can share them with others.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Larry. This is why I'm asking. If most users are like you, wherein a document type format is really suitable for their needs, my focus should just be on developing what works best for me, which would mean more features for the website portion of the application.

For me, I like the fact that I can break up the song into parts, which, rather than going into a flat document, go into different database fields/records, which will ultimately allow me to provide flexible on-the-fly formatting options for the output. As a central repository for all of my stuff, this works for me. I may still do something with the iPad as I feel like I need to get up to speed on iOS development anyway.

Then, there's the whole issue of time...but that's whole 'nother story
Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...For me, I like the fact that I can break up the song into parts, which, rather than going into a flat document, go into different database fields/records, which will ultimately allow me to provide flexible on-the-fly formatting options for the output.
Hi ferg...

On the fly formatting option is what OnSong is all about. But it is from within the app and I don't have to go back to the web to change it. OnSong specializes in ChordPro format (embedded chords in plain text) and they have half-dozen formatting options built in. They are improving them all the time. Simpler and far quicker to do on one's computer via a program than on a webpage, or on a tablet/phone.

The primary difference between OnSong and UnrealBook is the format. UnrealBook only uses pdf files, and OnSong will read (sometimes edit) pdf and ChordPro. It has some internal formatting tools, but they are slow and cumbersome. However, ChordPro can be done on a simple word processor and exported directly into OnSong which is fast and easy. And any file that is formatted in a word processor on Mac or PC can be exported as a pdf and loaded directly into UnrealBook in a couple seconds.

Both UnrealBook and OnSong permit instant access to the files themselves to edit and arrange song lists without having to go outside the app. Much easier and quicker. The only reason I'd ever use dropbox, google drive etc from within the app would be to send something to another tablet user at a gig.

I showed up for a session the other night, and another iPad user had forgotten to download a particular song. I emailed it to him from UnrealBook, and in 30 seconds it was in his app. Another 20 seconds it was in his song list.

I'm still trying to discern your thoughts on uniqueness of depending on a web based source as the origin of files rather than a repository or transfer mechanism. Perhaps I just need to give you time to develop it and see where it leads.

The purpose of using tablets on stage is not just storage of a vast number of charts, but it is about quick & easy manipulation to get them into a list (or re-ordering the list). The more I can do with my app, the less I need/want to go anywhere outside of it.

OnSong is great for people who play the same songs in different (transposed) keys on a regular basis (on the fly transposition comes via ChordPro formatting) and may need to transpose an existing song in 20 seconds while on stage during (or right before) a gig.

UnrealBook is for people who use the same songs in the same keys all the time, but need to change the order they are in, and wanted them formatted for themselves in a way they look and work great onstage.

The pinch-zoom functionality of UnrealBook (zooming in on a section) and the fact it will stay that way till I change it is wonderful. That way if we are looking at the bridge, I can zoom in on just the bridge and leave it, and when we get there in the order, it will still be zoomed (a simple double tap in the middle of the chart will return it to original formatting too).

And both apps allow you to underline, high-lite, and write notes into them (and remove them later). And you can even tap into the iTunes library and play the song on the device while rehearsing it. All from within the app...

That's useful functionality.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Just read through this entire thread from the beginning. A lot of great info here and something I NEED to take advantage of real soon. I hate carrying around song books!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification