The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Electric Recommendations...

Hey Gang -

Ok, I've gone and done it...I pulled out my T5 and played some electric today and was reminded about how much I loved it.

Need to upgrade my electric and need some serious recommendations for a killer axe. Tone is everything, everything is secondary.

What do you guys think? Best in class in every category...let me hear it from the experts out there!

I'm also going to go towards a set of pedals and away from my GT-8 so I need some recommendations there as well....

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Thinking Custom Shop Strat but which one? So many choices out there!

What is confusing to me is what is driving such big price differences when it apparently (and I'm sure it's because of my ignorance) fairly similar construction....?!?!?

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-15-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 PM

If you really want the best in terms of a solidbody IMO you can't do much better than the Fender Vintage 57' Stratocaster

http://www.fender.com/products//sear...tno=0100102808

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ELAID=26040579

We had one in my store for a very short time. It didn't last long but I had some very good times playing it. Buttery tone with a simply amazing neck.

I'd get that one, but that's just me.

If you want modern you can't do much better IMO than the PRS singlecut hollowbody

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCHB1VAB

I've played this one as well, a truly amazing instrument. If you put a little compression along a little splash of reverb and a good clean amp you can have some of the best Jazz tones ever. (I've played it through a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue and was floored)

Those two are on the top of my Top Electrics list. So that's what I'd recommend

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 05-15-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
If you really want the best in terms of a solidbody IMO you can't do much better than the Fender Vintage 57' Stratocaster

We had one in my store for a very short time. It didn't last long but I had some very good times playing it. Buttery tone with a simply amazing neck.

If you want modern you can't do much better IMO than the PRS singlecut hollowbody

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCHB1VAB

I've played this one as well, a truly amazing instrument. If you put a little compression along a little splash of reverb and a good clean amp you can have some of the best Jazz tones ever. (I've played it through a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue and was floored)

Those two are on the top of my Top Electrics list. So that's what I'd recommend
Hi Will - Thanks for your input. What is it about the '57 Strat that makes it different and better than the other strats? On the surface it looks similar to a number of other models? (I'm just a bit confused with all the different strats they offer..and please pardon the ignorance).

What is it that makes the custom shop better?

Also, what is it about their artist signature models that make it priced higher? I get the idea that they want to charge more for the name, but gosh it looks like the same guitar, similar components and it's substantially more expensive. I don't mind paying more for better construction and components but it's not really clear to me at least at this point. Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-15-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:25 PM

Default I've got 2 words for you...

Tom Anderson. If I were looking to spend Custom shop type money on an electric, Anderson's would be the first things I'd go for, especially if I was looking for a fender style guitar (although Anderson does make some pretty cool gibson type designs like the atom, or a cross between the 2 like the Cobra. It looks like a tele and a Les Paul had a kid!) Don't get me wrong, Fender CS guitars are very nice, but you did ask for "Best in Class!"
Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 AM

If cost is no object, and you really want a "best in class" guitar, you need to look at Suhr, Tom Anderson, and Schecter USA. These guitars will make most any Fender feel like a "beater." These guitars will get you halfway to a nice used car in terms of price, but they are "best in class."

If you want the "best in class tone" but "bang for the buck" price range, Schecter Diamond Series, ESP LTD series, and Dean are what you should look at. I can narrow down the list to specific models if this range is your speed. To go into the standard Fender USA price range but for a far better guitar, you should look at US Masters, Dean USA, or ESP.

Ovation CSE24
Old 05-16-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftycajun View Post
Tom Anderson. If I were looking to spend Custom shop type money on an electric, Anderson's would be the first things I'd go for, especially if I was looking for a fender style guitar (although Anderson does make some pretty cool gibson type designs like the atom, or a cross between the 2 like the Cobra. It looks like a tele and a Les Paul had a kid!) Don't get me wrong, Fender CS guitars are very nice, but you did ask for "Best in Class!"
+1

I've got two Andersons right now, a Drop top classic and a Cobra. Tom makes an amazing sounding and playing guitar. Other than Anderson you might want to consider John Suhr, Don Grosh (for an amazing vintage style strat the Retro classic rules!), James Tyler or Gerard Melancon. It really depends on what kind of guitar you want though. Strat style? Tele? Les Paul? Jazzbox?
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 05-16-2009, 04:39 AM

I think you need to define what electric tone you are looking for. What style you will be playing. ANd your budget.

Also, if you don't already have a quality amp that is a factor cause the worlds best guitar thru a crappy amp is still crappy tone.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:04 AM

I'm eager to try a T3 Bigsby but I haven't found a store in Maine that has them.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:47 AM

Ithink that the 52 hot rod tele is the ultimate solidbody guitar. It has single coil, humbucker and a sweet neck. I was never a tele guy until I played this one. I always prefered strats and I own a nice AVR 57. I would also look for a good used one since Fender has recently increased all their prices.
Kirn strat
Taylor GA4 short scale
Kirn barnbuster Tele
Gretsch 5120
1988 Fender AVRI strat
Republic tricone resonator
Breedlove AC250SM 12 string
Brian May RS replica
Old 05-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I own several American and Mexican-made Fenders, both Strats and Teles. However, they pale in comparison to the Custom Shop Eric Clapton Strat "Blackie" that I recently purchased.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-16-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Hi Will - Thanks for your input. What is it about the '57 Strat that makes it different and better than the other strats? On the surface it looks similar to a number of other models? (I'm just a bit confused with all the different strats they offer..and please pardon the ignorance).
Hey Commando, here's a short rundown of the differences in the 57' as opposed to the other ones.

The 57 Model uses the V neck which I find on an electric to be far more comfy and fast than the typical C or D necks which I feel are kind of blocky.

The finish is also a very nice nitrocellulose finish which although it wears slightly easier, it let's the guitar "breathe" alot more, you get much much more body resonance and sound from a nitro finished guitar in my experience with solid bodies.

The sound is also a great deal different. The 57' strat has a great deal more balance across all the pickups, while you still get the typical differences in tone from all the pickups, the differences are not like comparing a lasagna to a dessert cake. You can still tell it's the same guitar

Quote:
What is it that makes the custom shop better?
Simply put, the custom shop models get a MUCH better attention to detail than say the Taco strats and teles. All of the custom shop strats are well made and well cared for. Fender's quality control with the custom shop is also top notch.

Quote:
Also, what is it about their artist signature models that make it priced higher? I get the idea that they want to charge more for the name, but gosh it looks like the same guitar, similar components and it's substantially more expensive. I don't mind paying more for better construction and components but it's not really clear to me at least at this point. Thanks for any light you can shed on this!
Well here it is in a nutshell...

Name, certain components, reputation

The Clapton Signature Strat is one of their best selling strats in their entire lineup, but the thing is, it's almost identical to the Custom shop 60's strat which costs about half. The difference? A slightly different neck and Clapton's signature on the headstock.

Some of the signature strats are absolutely astounding, but others aren't. If you want a signature strat the Jeff Beck strat is arguably the best they offer in terms of tone and playability, but it's really heavy.

The signature stuff is essentially built exact to spec as the one's they build for the artists who play them. So if you have a Yngwie Malmsteen Signature strat, and you go and see Yngwie play live, you will have a guitar that is identical to the one that Yngwie is playing on stage. That's the difference with the signature series as opposed to the typical custom shop.

hope this helps!

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post

There just happens to be a very nice one for sale in the Classified sections here. Mine is the 'Hot Rod' model, but very similar. They are great!

JR

PS: Yes, it is mine.

Last edited by JeffR.; 05-16-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:34 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

Well that's easy: a Wildwood 10, but they are a bit overpriced. I LOOOOVE my 1954 Reissue Masterbuilt 50th anniversary Stratocaster. Great neck too.

I just posted a crappy video with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-ycHAU_8Y

here is one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-1954-Stratocaster-Masterbuilt-Fessler-CustomShop_W0QQitemZ230334629967QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZGuitar?hash=item35a103884f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_ trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A131 8|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 05-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Wow thanks guys for the input! Much appreciated.

I just came back from GC and played a few Tom Andersons (Cobra and another), Les Pauls, Strats, and PRS!

I really like the thick tone of the hollowbody PRS. I wonder if this is because I'm first and foremost an acoustic nerd?? Will this get old for me?

Styles I play and will be playing are rock, jazz, blues, worship stuff. Not really a honky tonk, bluegrass, kinda guy largely because there is really not a venue that I will use it in.

What do you guys think?

Custom 22 or 24 could be cool too.....

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-16-2009 at 11:44 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification