The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 AM

Hi Matt,

I first tried just a guitar cable, as that's what everyone says to use. I then tried a TRS-XLR - I like the idea of this better, but I heard no difference, oddly.

I think I can learn to live with the other mixer. I have to re-position some things and give it a shot Saturday...

---

OhWell - when I first got my VL-2, using the "easy way" of GuitarThru and MicThru, there was lots I did not like - made both my guitar and mic sound bad, and that's not allowed! I also like using a pre-amp and their XLR connections to the amp, so I use line-outs into the VL instead. I will look into what you suggested - thanks.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Hi Matt,

I first tried just a guitar cable, as that's what everyone says to use. I then tried a TRS-XLR - I like the idea of this better, but I heard no difference, oddly.
That's too bad. With my limited knowledge of these kinds of things, I can't see why the T1 shouldn't work with the SoloAmp. Did you try using different power outlets to see if that cleared anything up? Do you have a DI box laying around? You could try 1/4" out of the T1 to the DI and then XLR to the SoloAmp. I'm not really sure that going that route would do anything different than your TRS-XLR cable but I'm just brainstorming.

Did the T1 make noise with all of the channels muted or did the noise only start when you un-muted a particular channel?

Did you mess with the Master Out options in the Prefs? You could try switching from Post Master Volume to Pre-Master Volume (or the reverse depending on how your T1 was set up when you tried it. I've always used the Pre Master Volume setting when I've used my T1 with other sound systems.

I can't really think of anything else and maybe you already tried all of this. I hope you find a way to make it work. I agree with you that the SoloAmp is supposed to simplify things and it seems like, for your set up, that the simplest route would be the T1 to SoloAmp.

Good luck!
Matt
Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Thanks Matt

Good ideas all Matt - I will try them a little later, and I have a pretty decent Plan B too. I appreciate it!

As The World Turns...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post

There's a pretty loud hiss when you plug the T1 into the SoloAmp, and nothing I tried would get rid of it. Pooh.

sounds like a signal to noise problem, poor gain structure. make sure the output of the t1 and harmonizer are at least 80% then adjust the solo for master volume
Old 09-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Solo Gig Saturday

After using my new Fishman SoloAmp at my regular cafe gig Saturday night, I could not be more happy with how it performed. It sounded excellent, was more than sufficient for the room, and setting it up was delightfully easy - and more important to me, teardown was even better. I am absolutely estatic with my purchase and am proud to own and use this fine piece of equipment.

THE GIG:
Neuhaus Cafe is a small restaurant in North Dallas. Max capacity is 50 - 60 people, usually not that many present at any one time. Dinner, drinks and deserts are excellent, and music is for background, not a concert. But, even strangers often seem very appreciative, both with applause and nice comments as they leave. It's probably 20-30 feet wide and 50-60 feet long, and you set up in a corner by the door, not elevated - I play sitting on a stool, as again, it is not a concert.

THE STUFF:
I play a Taylor 615CE jumbo, but with a B-Band not ES, also an old Guild maple jumbo 12-string with a Martin thinline and Fishman end-pin preamp if I remember correctly. I use Baggs Para-DI and a Radial Tonebone preamps, a Shure SM-58 and a Digitech VoiceLive VL-2. Recently (Friday afternoon!) I got a Behringer MS882 mixer to run this all through, as I found conflicts with my Bose T1, and didn't like using a more typical mixer. The MX882 is a very versitile but very basic mixer ONLY - NO EQs at all, which appealed to me. I felt like this allowed me to use the native EQ of the SoloAmp, along with the voicing of the guitars and preamps.

THE SOUND:
I'm not super technical, with regard to specs, theory, etc, but I know what I like, what sounds good to me and for me, so that's what this is - accept or ignore. It sounded good! It sounded natural, it was more than loud enough, it covered the room, my voice sounded like me, my guitars sounded like me playing them. There WAS at least plenty of bass - I even had to dial that back a slight bit, and I had to use my soundhole covers, and the microphone sounded powerful - deep but clear, very slight boosts of both bass and treble, slight mid cut, same on guitar side. I had a modest amount of reverb on, setting 1 I think, not a major factor. Feedback? NOT a hint, and I was very close to the amp, like a foot or less. I did have the "feedback control" up a very small bit, and as I said, using soundhole covers was my only thing there, and that addressed the issue perfectly.

NOISY CROWD:
The specific question was related to dispersion and coverage "over" a noisy crowd of over 200 Looking For Mister GoodBar. Obviously, my experience does not address or answer this issue. My mission in this place is to blend in, actually under, people enjoying their dinner and conversations. I did NOT have it cranked, and consciously played and sang under even the level I had initially set. I consider this a good thing.

BOSE A-B:
To my fellow Bose users, my comrades - I have not had the opportunity to do the side-by-side simultaneous A-B comparison in which we are all so interested, sorry. I also can NOT say that the SoloAmp sounds better, worse, or even the same as our L1's. The Bose sounds good - the Fishman sounds good, OR, the Bose sounds great - the Fishman sounds great. They are not 100% alike, but for a guitarist and singer, they are both "for us".

You know how the Bose sounds "like you"? How with the L1 you can hear what you play and sing so clearly and powerful, that you want to play and sing better, and you CAN play and sing better? Same thing with the SoloAmp! You know how with the Bose you forget about your equipment and just PLAY? Same thing with the SoloAmp - after I got going, I truly and literally did not think about it, did not remember to make the comparison I promised you guys. Maybe that is the statement.

Also interesting, once I got going, I twiddled NOT ONE dial. I muted my guitar channels as I switched, sometimes used the on-off switch on the mic, and adjusted the volume knob on the Taylor a very few times. Not one EQ adjustment. I thought that was wonderful.

SCHLEPPAGE:
Previously, setting up my Bose consists of the base unit PS1 powerstand, two L1 speaker columns, two B1 bass subs, and the T1 mixer controller. Plus mic, stand, decently complex pedal board with preamps, harmony thing, etc. Lots of cables. Of the six Bose components, I consider five to be "heavy", or at least as heavy as *I* care to schlepp around.

The SoloAmp consists of IT, and a speaker-type stand, and a power cord. Now my observation here is NOT scientific, I haven't even looked at specs, but the SoloAmp itself seems about the same weight as a single Bose L1 speaker section, lighter than the powerstand and lighter than one sub. The stand seems lighter than my other speaker stands. When I put it up on its stand, I couldn't resist a grin and a "YES!", knowing I was DONE and ready to plug stuff in, which also seemed simpler. THIS was my main objective! Oh, I should also say that I set the Bose stuff up myself, and have my faithful roadie come pack it up for me. I had the SoloAmp bagged up by myself in just a very few minutes. Excellent!

One more comment in this area - SoloAmp comes with a quality, well-designed bag for both the amp and stand, with wheels. Probably room for a mic stand, some cables, etc etc. I have learned that what works, FOR ME, it to resist these opportunities to combine stuff to save trips. Especially at this place, I can park right by the door, so I go for LIGHTER, and do not mind a few more trips. The SoloAmp fits nicely in a padded speaker stand bag I have, and seems much lighter to me that way - so I will likely do it that way.

Bottom line, at the end, I was completely packed up in a very few minutes, I guess 15 or less, versus often 2 or 3 times that. Couldn't be happier!

TO JOE BARBERI:
Joe, you and your colleagues should be very proud of this excellent product, and I compliment and salute you! You privately UNDER-sold it to me, but with confidence and faith in your product, which I respect greatly.

As I originally said, my objective in my early pre-order, was strictly for my solo work, almost for this one venue only - to achieve lighter and simpler setup, and "if it sounds one-third as good as my Bose, it will be more than good enough fo this place". My criteria was more than met, and my expectations were surpassed. I look forward to using it in larger situations, even possibly with my band.

One last thing - I did this gig WITHOUT the "net" of having my Bose stuff in the car for just-in-case!

Way to go Joe, and Fishman!

In case it's not obvious, I personally recommend the Fishman SoloAmp very highly for acoustic guitarists and singers. And I still love my Bose and plan to keep using it - I just feel like I have different systems appropriate for differnt situations.

Thanks all for your time,
MIKE

Last edited by MikeTX; 09-21-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Mike!
Wonderful review. Although it probably would be cheaper for me if you would have said you hated it!

Matt
Old 09-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Good review Mike, Thanks
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 09-21-2008, 01:29 PM

Mike,

Very nice review and about what I expected, meaning for a lot of folks the SoloAmp will be comparable to an L1 and $1500 cheaper.

To me that means, if you wanted to, you could buy two SoloAmps, a $500powered sub w/x-over, a small $300 mixer, and have $200 for a nice dinner, versus a single L1 with one bass module and the tone engine........I think it's no contest.

To me, and I admit to not being a Bose fan for decades, this is one of the reasons, grossly overpriced products for what you get. I said it when the SoloAmp first came out.....................things are going to get interesting.

Thanks for the review.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-21-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
To me that means, if you wanted to, you could buy two SoloAmps, a $500powered sub w/x-over, a small $300 mixer, and have $200 for a nice dinner, versus a single L1 with one bass module and the tone engine........I think it's no contest.
I'm thinking this is going to be the way to go for me, any recommendations on a powered sub?

Also, I'm trying to talk my duo partner into getting one of these so we can each have one, would it be pretty simple to setup each one next to us and run the monitor out on mine to the monitor in on his and vice verse?
Old 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Excellent Soloamp Review, Mike - Mahalo!

Aloha Mike,

Well you really outdid your normal fine descriptive writing with this one, Mike. Excellent. detailed review. I felt like I was right there with you: could smell the food wafting from the kitchen, see the red/black artwork on the yellow walls, and watch the upscale couples digging your playing while they dine.

Sounds like the Soloamp is a real winner. Glad no one took me up on my stupid bet, crowd dispersion or not.

You really got me thinking about that portability factor, Mike. I mean REALLY! The Soloamp may be just the ticket for my restaurant gigs. I love my rig but it takes forever to break it all down and schlepp to the car and then through the woods to my house. A Soloamp may save my aching, aging okole on the simpler gigs.

Again Mike. thank you for such a beautifully detailed Soloamp description. It's a great example of what this site can be when people take the time to provide the details!

Mahalo A Nui & A Hui Hou!
alohachris
Old 09-21-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstancil View Post
I'm thinking this is going to be the way to go for me, any recommendations on a powered sub?

Also, I'm trying to talk my duo partner into getting one of these so we can each have one, would it be pretty simple to setup each one next to us and run the monitor out on mine to the monitor in on his and vice verse?
Great idea for a duo, as you said run monitor in/outs to each other. You would then have the two channel pre D.I's (but you'd need to run both) or the single summed post D.I. to a sub (if needed). For two guitars and vocals you really may not need it.

What I would do is go to one of the larger GC's and audition powered subs with the SoloAmp, you might also get away with a passive crossover. Probably the best idea if you like the SoloAmp is to call Fisman for subwoofer recommendations and go fom there.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Yeah I'm hopping I can get by without the sub for acoustic stuff, we use two 12's now and it sounds good. I will just use the sub to DJ with.

I will give Fishman a call this week, good idea. Can't wait till my local GC gets it in so I can demo it.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:02 PM

They are in the GC warehouses, I got an email yesterday, so they should be in the stores sometimes this week.

I'm not really in need but I am very curious and will audition at my flagship GC, they also have Bose so I can seriously A/B and I'm a good enough VIP customer that they will accomodate me and they have some great rooms. I love to audition and play with with pro audio and home theater gear, it will be fun.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
They are in the GC warehouses, I got an email yesterday, so they should be in the stores sometimes this week.

I'm not really in need but I am very curious and will audition at my flagship GC, they also have Bose so I can seriously A/B and I'm a good enough VIP customer that they will accomodate me and they have some great rooms. I love to audition and play with with pro audio and home theater gear, it will be fun.
Hopefully we will have some good reviews in the coming weeks.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

great review Mike... also Rich and all, I am waiting with baited breath for more reviews on the soloamp... I am relying greatly on these reviews, as my location doesn't make for quick access to any dealers i.e. 230 mi. to the nearest GC in Salt Lake City I have put together a front end Consisting of a SKB Roll X wheeled rack case with a Manely DVC 2 channel combo mic pre, EQ and Comp . then a TC 3000m verb FX unit and a power conditioner. I usually take either 2 or three guitars only one of which has a pic up. so right now I will use 2 mics one on guitar and one vocal. I was also thinking of starting with one soloamp as I mostly play small venues but possibly adding another later any way please keep em coming .......

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification