The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 AM

Thanks James,

I had some bad "a priori" on UST pickups based on nothing really solid (however there are many sources that claim piezoelectric sensors to be nonlinear)

I am happy to learn thanks to your feedback.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 03-30-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:40 AM

I have to admit, Cuki, that I also have wondered about those onboard UST systems where the fixed gain is set so high that an aggressive string attack will overdrive the circuit and produce a clipped signal.

I honestly believe that some manufacturers have chosen (with some UST system designs) to err on the side of a hot output, rather than err on the side of sufficient headroom for a heavy strummer. I wonder how ToneDexter will handle a clipped signal from such a system. I recall from using Aura and Mama Bear that a quacky signal in yields a somewhat quacky signal out. That's understandable, considering that an optimum blend (with those devices) contained around 60% dry signal.

Its interesting to note that the premium onboard Aura system actually had an adjustable gain and a peak light to help the user adjust the gain level to provide sufficient headroom for his/her most aggressive level of string attack. I'd still have that little Aura-equipped guitar if the fretboard had been a little wider and more to my liking.

Last edited by guitaniac; 03-31-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I have to admit, Cuki, that I also have wondered about those onboard UST systems where the fixed gain is set so high that an aggressive string attack will overdrive the circuit and produce a clipped signal.

I honestly believe that some manufacturers have chosen (with some UST system designs) to err on the side of a hot output, rather than err on the side of sufficient headroom for a heavy strummer. I wonder how ToneDexter will handle a clipped signal from such a system. I recall from using Aura and Mama Bear that a quacky signal in yields a somewhat quacky signal out. That's understandable, considering that an optimum blend (with those devices) contained around 60% dry signal.

Its interesting to note that the premium onboard Aura system actually had an adjustable gain and a peak light to help the user adjust the gain level to provide sufficient headroom for his/her most aggressive level of string attack. I'd still have that little Aura-equipped guitar if the fretboard had been a little wider and more to my liking.

That's one of he reasons I liked the DTAR 18v preamp design, more headroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification