The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-28-2018, 01:22 PM

Al, I was telling someone just last night after our uke club jam (she played my Blackbird tenor while I played the U-bass for the group). You enjoy a superior instrument every single time you touch it or play it. Paying off that credit card bill is mostly forgotten after a few months, assuming you can actually afford it in the first place. [enabler mode: OFF]
Old 08-30-2018, 12:15 PM

I got the Gold Tone BU-1 Banjolele a couple weeks ago. Still adjusting to a melody string where it's usually bass. Recorded this a few minutes ago:

http://picosong.com/w5KEe/
Old 09-12-2018, 09:55 AM

I am a major ukulele victim--er, I mean "lover."

Been playing guitar and bass since 1977 and '78 respectively, but close to 20 years back I began experiencing hand and wrist pain to an extent that I feared I would have to give up playing string instruments altogether (with the intention--were that to be the case--of taking up harmonica, since only death will keep me from making music of some kind!)

Anyways, my then-wife suggested ukulele to me. At first I considered this a joke, but decided to give it a try and ordered an OS concert uke. This was early 2000.

I quickly became an addict and at one time owned 15 ukes including an Ovation a/e, several nice vintage Sopranos, a custom-made Beltona resonator, banjo ukes, other assorted and one baritone--a 1950s Martin bought new by my uncle and gifted to me.

For 2-3 years ukulele was all I played. My guitars and basses gathered dust. Then I lost all my instruments in a flood in 2010 but managed to salvage one old Japanese no-name, probably '50s-'60s era, that a friend of mine completely rebuilt for me. (Thanks Ron--you are a genius!)

So now I have that one El Cheapo no-name soprano and a nice Kala baritone my father gave me last year after he bought it then decided against learning to play.

I still have hand issues and am on the brink--almost--of once again packing in guitar and going uke-only. However, I will always keep my six string acoustic guitar.

In my years of uking, I have discovered my very strong preference is for sopranos and baritones. I don't care much for concerts and tenors for some reason.

And again because of hand issues, I sometimes find sopranos a bit cramped, so I'm leaning towards making baritone uke my main instrument.

On a side note, I am also quite interested in tenor guitar, but I have owned a couple (as well as a tenor banjo) and I find the necks far too narrow for me. The ones I've seen and played would be useless for finger style, and I love playing that way.

I wish there was a steel string tenor guitar, sized like a tenor body, but with a wider neck for fingerpicking.

I definitely do NOT have the resources to have anything custom built anymore.

- John Shedd
Old 10-04-2018, 06:10 AM

Ukuleles are nothing but fun, fun, fun! I play baritone and I treat it like a travel guitar. My wife started playing ukulele, her first musical instrument. For years she thought she could never play anything. We are in a ukulele group. She has so much fun now!
This past weekend we actually got a paying gig, we got paid $500 to play for an event! Of course we had to divide that among 14 of us.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 PM

Default "Ain't no kinda cure for my disease"

I apologize for the Merle Haggard song quote but it seemed to fit in.
Anyway, I have been enjoying by baritone OS, having a good time playing all kinds of songs, mainly in the folk or folk rock era.
The granddaughter broke a string on her soprano and we picked it up the other day to do a total string change. Put a set of Martins on it and I broke the same string. So I ordered some Ernie Ball, ball end strings and they have worked out very well on her little beginner uke.
What has happened though is that my wife says she wanted to try it, so we shall see how long it remains at our house. lol
The sidebar to all this is that I am now looking at Tenors. No no not for me. Oh no, wouldn't happen....except for that one I was looking at. But really I thought I would have one on my wishlist in case my wife says she likes playing. Well, there are actually three, so far, on the wishlist that I, ah, have for her to look at if he wants to. Yeah, that's my story. Wish me luck
Old 06-29-2019, 08:17 PM

Default "Ain't no kinda cure for my disease"

I apologize for the Merle Haggard song quote but it seemed to fit in.
Anyway, I have been enjoying by baritone OS, having a good time playing all kinds of songs, mainly in the folk or folk rock era.
The granddaughter broke a string on her soprano and we picked it up the other day to do a total string change. Put a set of Martins on it and I broke the same string. So I ordered some Ernie Ball, ball end strings and they have worked out very well on her little beginner uke.
What has happened though is that my wife says she wanted to try it, so we shall see how long it remains at our house. lol
The sidebar to all this is that I am now looking at Tenors. No no not for me. Oh no, wouldn't happen....except for that one I was looking at. But really I thought I would have one on my wishlist in case my wife says she likes playing. Well, there are actually three, so far, on the wishlist that I, ah, have for her to look at if he wants to. Yeah, that's my story. Wish me luck
Old 08-13-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warndt View Post
It can be done, but the flute tends to sound more like a Kazoo.
There is this young lady I follow on Youtube. Adorable girl and one video she is doing this song with a Ukulele and a Kazoo and just had me cracking up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments