The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Sound Seat?

Okay...who has one of these and are they all that? I've got a right leg (and lower back) issue partially from playing seated with bad body mechanics. Having to lean forward in a chair(s) due to the arms. I'm not going to quit playing but I've got to find a better way. I remember reading some posts regarding sound seats and am asking those who have one your thoughts. As always...many thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 04-19-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

They work for me. I liked the first one enough to buy a second one. I’ve got back issues and these encourage good posture. High quality materials and construction topped with outstanding customer service. If you go that way, pay attention to height adjustment options. One of mine has a large “throw” and the other has a short “throw”. I prefer having a greater range of height adjustment and if I had a do-over, I’d get both with more room to adjust height. The foot ring is a great option. It’s comfortable to rest a foot on and doesn’t get in the way if you want to put your feet on the floor.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have had a Soundseat for about 8 years or so and it is a wonderful chair. I have one with the midrise back, a foot ring with the retractable foot rest and use it as an office chair as well as guitar playing. I also play with a strap. The Soundseat is durable, well padded and very well made. Sturdier than most other similar chairs that I have tried. Mine is still like new and I use it everyday. Excellent customer service.
Even though there are several aspects to playing without pain over time, such as changing posture, implementing an exercise/stretching routine, using a strap or neck-up device, the right chair is essential. I can’t say enough good things about Soundseat. One of the best guitar-related investments I have ever made.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-19-2021, 06:41 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Absolutely love mine. One of my best guitar-related purchases ever.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

I've had one for a couple years and I really like it a lot. I play on it constantly the 8-9 months per year we spend at home. But in terms of back pain, we spend the 3-4 months each winter near our daughter, son-in-law, and now granddaughter in North Carolina, and down there I play on a simple 24" high Fender guitar stool that was a lot less $$ than the Sound Seat. It's equally comfortable on my back, I'd say, a little tight on the knee angle, which bothers me for the first couple days I'm on it each winter. I think I paid $60 or $70 for it a few years ago...

unnamed by Ray, on Flickr

I definitely recommend the Soundseat, but if your issue is back pain from bad posture on a chair that makes you twist to clear the arms, there are a lot of less expensive solutions that should solve THAT problem short of a Sound Seat.

-Ray
Old 04-19-2021, 07:01 AM

I’ve had mine for several years and it’s a high quality, well designed chair.

However, I’ve never been totally comfortable sitting in it for long periods. It seems to pitch me forward, though I’ve raised the front several times to the highest point.

Since this is the only negative post on the chair you’re likely to see, I’m fine with accepting the fact that it’s just me and not the chair.

I just wish I liked to sit in it.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I have one and they're very nice. I originally ordered it with a ring and footplate. However, after about a year I decided to swap the piston and take off the plate and ring and use both feet on the ground. It's much more comfortable for me now. I have the mid-back and the normal size seat. Vinyl seats always make my legs sweaty and this premium leather chair is very cool and comfortable.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I’ve had mine for several years and it’s a high quality, well designed chair.

However, I’ve never been totally comfortable sitting in it for long periods. It seems to pitch me forward, though I’ve raised the front several times to the highest point.

Since this is the only negative post on the chair you’re likely to see, I’m fine with accepting the fact that it’s just me and not the chair.

I just wish I liked to sit in it.

I had the same problem when I first assembled mine. Took me a few days to realize I had the seat back too far forward. It was pushing me forward and out of the sweet spot on the cushion. Adjusted it back a bit and have had nothing but comfortable bliss ever since...

Old 04-19-2021, 07:11 AM

I've had mine for about five years and aside from having to replace the gas lift a couple of years ago the chair is holding up very well.
I use it as an office chair as well as a guitar chair so it gets a minimum of 10 hours a day of use. I can see this thing lasting another ten or fifteen years no problem.
I got mine with the mid-back, foot ring, and foot rest so was about $500 with shipping but well worth the cost.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all who commented. Guess I'm gonna get one!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I had the same problem when I first assembled mine. Took me a few days to realize I had the seat back too far forward. It was pushing me forward and out of the sweet spot on the cushion. Adjusted it back a bit and have had nothing but comfortable bliss ever since...
Roy, I tried that first and it didn’t seem to help.

I can’t explain why I can’t adjust it to be comfortable.

Thanks for the advice anyway!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jim, I have two of them. One is the exact chair that Rev Roy has in the posted photo... black with foot ring and flat footings. The second is a brown one, same type, but without the foot ring, and has rollers -- purchased that way to double as a desk chair when needed.

The black one with the ring was purchased years ago and built by JR when he was still alive and seems to be of higher quality. The second brown one was built after his passing and is also nice except the back tends to slide down/slip out of position periodically regardless of how tight I make the adjustor.

After using the brown one as an office chair during the first few months of working from home during the pandemic, I found it was too short depthwise for proper leg support for long term sitting. So now I have an X-Chair for the office

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-19-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I currently use an office style chair similar with adjustable heigh. It's on casters. Should I get the Sound Seat with or without casters?

Old 04-19-2021, 07:50 AM

Highly recommend SoundSeat - great product, well made and very comfortable (use it as my office chair also). I have the mid back and foot ring. I designed the embroidered feature that is in my avatar - the S and L (my initials) in the shape of a guitar - they did a great job adding this to the seat back.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:55 AM

Love mine, best money I’ve spent!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion