The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
A single source UST is the most feedback resistant option short of a sound hole magnetic. I think high stage volume goes with the total electric guitar like marketing package.

With ToneDexter, Soundscape, or a NUX Optima Air, an IR can be used to perfect any type of piezo to a microphone of choice target (and reintroduce the loss of stage volume tolerance...). If you've got the money, the latest ToneDexter 2.x seems the best of the bunch.
Excellent points here. With all the advancements in IR and the pedals that push what is possible with piezo, I can easily see a trend back to basics. I still prefer the sound of a SBT but it certainly does have its limitations.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Yes I don’t like the tuner at all and will probably end up pulling it out. It’s very jumpy and slow to react. Frustrating when you are trying to quickly get in tune in between songs at a gig. My clip on is my easier to use. For bedroom or home use it’s fine. The high action is easily fixed. Get it properly setup and you’ll be good to go.
You're right about the tuner. I think it's weird when it briefly says the high e string is a g note until it says it's an e. Or it says a string is flat and then suddenly it says it's in tune.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 04-18-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:44 AM

To those considering putting 12s on it I would recommend against that. The 11s are what contribute to this guitars comfort and plugged in it wouldn’t matter anyway. Aaron did a video and the difference was negligible. Unless you want to make it a couch guitar, I would leave it setup as Martin intended. Everything in this guitars design is meant for ergonomics and playability. Why would you spoil a part of that? JMO.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:36 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
To those considering putting 12s on it I would recommend against that. The 11s are what contribute to this guitars comfort and plugged in it wouldn’t matter anyway. Aaron did a video and the difference was negligible. Unless you want to make it a couch guitar, I would leave it setup as Martin intended. Everything in this guitars design is meant for ergonomics and playability. Why would you spoil a part of that? JMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x9gwYmoScU

Thanks for mentioning the video.

I gave it a watch and I personally heard deeper bass and fatter trebles with the 12s.

Not a huge difference, but enough that I liked it with the 12s better.

Will it be slightly less comfortable to play with 12s than with 11s? Sure. But even string with 12s it would still be perfectly playable for me.

Martin has a set-up guide that mentions 12s here: https://www.martinguitar.com/on/dema...adjustment.pdf
Old 04-18-2021, 07:19 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

I just tried one at GC. Great ergonomics and playability, unremarkable tone to my ear. YMMV.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 04-18-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
I just tried one at GC. Great ergonomics and playability, unremarkable tone to my ear. YMMV.
Maybe you played a dud? The one I had played sounded wonderful. Also, as a buyer I would suddenly find the tone a lot sweeter when learning it is roughly $1400. I don't even bother playing guitars that cost over $3K, so I'm probably just ignorant.

But it is blissful.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:01 PM

It all depends on if you mostly play plugged in or not, because through a PA system, you won't be able to tell the difference. But it's all about personal preferences and to me, it sounds good enough with 11s. Yes Martin says it's OK to put 12s on, but it comes with 11's which means that's the string guage Martin recommends first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Thanks for mentioning the video.

I gave it a watch and I personally heard deeper bass and fatter trebles with the 12s.

Not a huge difference, but enough that I liked it with the 12s better.

Will it be slightly less comfortable to play with 12s than with 11s? Sure. But even string with 12s it would still be perfectly playable for me.

Martin has a set-up guide that mentions 12s here: https://www.martinguitar.com/on/dema...adjustment.pdf
Old 04-18-2021, 09:03 PM

I found it to sound like similar road series Martins....especially the 000 12e.
A little lacking in projection, but was plenty loud for me. I thought it had a nice
overall tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Old 04-18-2021, 09:05 PM

Yes the tuner will wear on your patience. It's probably worse than ANY clip on tuner I have ever tried. I wonder if it works off vibration or the sound through the preamp? Also, when comparing it to other tuners, it's always a bit sharp on all the strings. Will it get you in the ballpark? yes, but it's not a very good tuner at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
You're right about the tuner. I think it's weird when it briefly says the high e string is a g note until it says it's an e. Or it says a string is flat and then suddenly it says it's in tune.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:25 PM

The gig bag/case that comes with this is the week link in my opinion. As was stated earlier finding a case to fit the SC-13E is problematic. I asked my dealer to check with Martin on if they had one to fit and they said they are looking at that and it will be 3 or 4 months at the very earliest for one to be available.

So my take is a hard case will be available down the road at some point.

Chris
Old 04-18-2021, 10:04 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
It all depends on if you mostly play plugged in or not, because through a PA system, you won't be able to tell the difference. But it's all about personal preferences and to me, it sounds good enough with 11s. Yes Martin says it's OK to put 12s on, but it comes with 11's which means that's the string guage Martin recommends first.
To each their own. I play one day a week plugged in, the rest purely acoustically. I do like the tone with 11s, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but from the sound of it 12s will be even more to my liking.

My understanding is that Martin put 11s on these not necessarily because they provide optimal tension to drive the top, but rather to maintain the slinky "electric" feel for the market segment they're chasing with this guitar.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:13 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The one I had played sounded wonderful. Also, as a buyer I would suddenly find the tone a lot sweeter when learning it is roughly $1400.
Same. I even compared the one I ended up buying to a Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition just for kicks and they were remarkably close.

For a guitar meant to be more of a stage instrument, I expected mediocre acoustic tone, but was pleasantly surprised when I actually played it.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:25 PM

I was also pleasantly surprised by the tone. Just don't expect massive projection and you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Same. I even compared the one I ended up buying to a Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition just for kicks and they were remarkably close.

For a guitar meant to be more of a stage instrument, I expected mediocre acoustic tone, but was pleasantly surprised when I actually played it.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:27 PM

Yes but also to provide optimum comfort and playability. Either way it's an easy experiment to try one or the other and then settle on whichever floats your boat. I'm happy with 11s and love how easy they are on my fingers for long gigs.

Quote:
To each their own. I play one day a week plugged in, the rest purely acoustically. I do like the tone with 11s, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but from the sound of it 12s will be even more to my liking.

My understanding is that Martin put 11s on these not necessarily because they provide optimal tension to drive the top, but rather to maintain the slinky "electric" feel for the market segment they're chasing with this guitar.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:39 PM

Count me in!

Strolled into my local guitar shop this morning "just looking".. One of the sales guys said "check this out".. pointing to the Martin SC-13e.

My first impression was what is that? I hadn't heard or read a thing about it. (I've been kinda out of it this past year).

Picked it up and played it for a few minutes and remarked that it sounded great. Man... it was so easy to play too. But the thing that got me was the sound! The tone was really cool with a nice and full low end... Easy to play and it took moderate strumming very well too. Not to mention how nice the neck was to play all the way up and down the neck, etc.

They had several in stock and allowed me to play/view them all ... I picked this one.. It's a Lovely guitar and can't wait to break her in!

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-20-2021 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Language

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion