The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-19-2021, 07:40 AM

Default Lip Sync Problem

Did anyone else notice the train wreck that was Dan and Shay’s performance on the CMA’s last night?

They were at the Bluebird and I was sure front he first guitar tone that it was a recorded track and they were lip syncing (they weren’t the only ones).

The audio wasn’t synced with the video and I felt sorry for them.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

Last edited by Goodallboy; 04-19-2021 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Context
Old 04-19-2021, 09:40 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you look it up on YouTube it is nicely in sync and even looks live. I wonder if this problem in the broadcast was the curse of modern streaming formats like Zoom? It seems that the higher tech gets, the lower technology broadcasters utilize.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:11 AM

“ ... front he first guitar tone ... “

Apparently, we can all make mistakes.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
If you look it up on YouTube it is nicely in sync and even looks live. I wonder if this problem in the broadcast was the curse of modern streaming formats like Zoom? It seems that the higher tech gets, the lower technology broadcasters utilize.

Bob
Absolutely live streaming is not only subject to software platform issues Zoom Meeting being prototypical ,,,,,but also Upload ISP issues and end user Download ISP issues as well ... And in this crazy year I suppose anything is possible, but having been to performances at the Bluebird, I sincerely doubt they would allow lip syncing anywhere near the front door, let alone on stage.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-19-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
“ ... front he first guitar tone ... “

Apparently, we can all make mistakes.
Thanks, that was shoddy typing.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-19-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

After spending a few days [at home, not professional] trying to get video and audio in sync when it's traveling through different paths and software with slightly different different latencies, I have to say I'm a little less ready to say that something's being lip sync'd just because the audio and video I'm seeing doesn't look in sync. Of course, lots of performances are lip sync'd. But, imagining all the camera angle switching and audio mixing, compression, etc. that's done independently with hardware and software, and then magically sync'd for broadcast, I'm pretty impressed that it comes off as seamlessly as it does in these live productions. Especially while we're still watching pieces stitched together from different locations - they may be getting audio and video feeds separately from those. Who knows....
Old 04-20-2021, 08:51 AM

I’ve seen lip syncing issues in all kind of streamed programming. It’s very common in sports programming. But, I’ve even seen scenes in dramas where one camera angle will be in sync and another camera angle will be out of sync. I can’t begin to explain how this could occur.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I’ve seen lip syncing issues in all kind of streamed programming. It’s very common in sports programming. But, I’ve even seen scenes in dramas where one camera angle will be in sync and another camera angle will be out of sync. I can’t begin to explain how this could occur.
Except miss synced audio and video is not the "lip syncing " the OP is talking about ,,, "lip sync" is having the vocal pre recorded, and just moving the lips to match the audio and pretending to sing the vocal live ....
The most famous example was Mili Vanilli Lip Sync scandal

https://www.biography.com/news/milli-vanilli-lip-sync-scandal

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-20-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Except miss synced audio and video is not the "lip syncing " the OP is talking about ,,, "lip sync" is having the vocal pre recorded, and just moving the lips to match the audio and pretending to sing the vocal live ....
The most famous example was Mili Vanilli Lip Sync scandal

https://www.biography.com/news/milli-vanilli-lip-sync-scandal
I'm not sure what I said that would induce such a reprimand. When the audio and video are not synced, it can look like the vocal was pre-recorded, and the vocalist was just pretending to sing. My point is that the problem is more widespread. It was a valid comment.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I'm not sure what I said that would induce such a reprimand. When the audio and video are not synced, it can look like the vocal was pre-recorded, and the vocalist was just pretending to sing. My point is that the problem is more widespread. It was a valid comment.
Reprimand ?????? No reprimand . Just observation, the things you were describing and apparently what was happening in the broadcast the OP was mentioning, regardless of how it might look, are not Lip Syncing, but simply audio to video syncing issues. Completely agree are common streaming problems

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic