The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Thank you for honing in on the most relevant part of the discussion. Neck shape, profile, shoulders, etc., are far more important than nut width.

A 1.75 nut width on a guitar with a shallow neck profile will feel much smaller that on a guitar with a beefier neck shape.
Which is why my Collings OM2HT is so much easier on my hand than my SC OM Grand. And also why I have a custom OM Grand on order with a neck profile similar to the Collings though I also opted for a 1 11/16 neck.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 04-19-2021, 12:11 AM

There are those who can play anything comfortably, its no issue and they don't understand (and seem quite intolerant) of those of us who trip over ourselves with narrow nut width or who struggle with the extra stretch of a wider one. As has been said the same applies to neck thickness, shape and body size.
I can only speak for myself. Although I play Mandolin too, which must be about as narrow as it gets, when it comes to guitar, I've always preferred a wider nut and thicker neck, Its more comfortable, I can play for longer, and indeed play better.
So in answer to the OP, no it isn't crazy or obsessive to seek out the best fit we can. One size doesn't fit all.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:20 AM

My Martin is 1 11/16". I wish it was bit wider. Currently I use a (Shubb stainless) capo at the second fret for greater fret width and closer fret spacing.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graylocks View Post
I've finally figured out that for me the neck profile and thickness is much more critical than that 1/16th of an inch.
Yes. Radius matters too. For years my main guitar was a Guild D-50 with a 1-11/16 nut, a 12” radius, and a very chunky neck. Now I have two main guitars, both with 1-3/4 inch nuts: a Martin HD-28 and an Eastman E10OM. The nuts measure more or less identically with a caliper, but the Martin feels noticeably wider, which I assume is a combination of the flatter radius (16” vs. 12”) and the different neck profile (the Martin is a bit shallower). All these things matter. I would go so far as to say that for me, because of the identical radius and chunkier/rounder neck, the Eastman feels more like the Guild than like the Martin.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 04-19-2021, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Yes. Radius matters too. For years my main guitar was a Guild D-50 with a 1-11/16 nut, a 12” radius, and a very chunky neck. Now I have two main guitars, both with 1-3/4 inch nuts: a Martin HD-28 and an Eastman E10OM. The nuts measure more or less identically with a caliper, but the Martin feels noticeably wider, which I assume is a combination of the flatter radius (16” vs. 12”) and the different neck profile (the Martin is a bit shallower). All these things matter. I would go so far as to say that for me, because of the identical radius and chunkier/rounder neck, the Eastman feels more like the Guild than like the Martin.
I have also found that the specific string spacing is not always the same across the same nut width. For example my SCGC D/PW has a 1 11/16 nut but the string spacing is virtually the same as my Froggy with 1 3/4 nut.

I used to be very precious about nut width, but lately I have been less bothered by it. I figure if I can switch from electric to acoustic, then I should be able to adapt to different nut widths.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 04-19-2021, 01:23 PM

I'm certainly not crazy but I am very particular about nut width, saddle spacing and neck profile. I like a 48mm nut with 40mm string spacing, string spacing of 60mm at the saddle and plenty of heft to the neck.
I have two custom guitars which conform to this spec and a couple of production models which come close. I can play on any guitar for a short time, but I'm too old and set in my ways to compromise further.
I just don't understand narrow fingerboards, I even had a mandolin made with a wider nut and it is much more comfortable to play.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
There are those who can play anything comfortably, its no issue and they don't understand (and seem quite intolerant) of those of us who trip over ourselves with narrow nut width or who struggle with the extra stretch of a wider one. As has been said the same applies to neck thickness, shape and body size.
I can only speak for myself. Although I play Mandolin too, which must be about as narrow as it gets, when it comes to guitar, I've always preferred a wider nut and thicker neck, Its more comfortable, I can play for longer, and indeed play better.
So in answer to the OP, no it isn't crazy or obsessive to seek out the best fit we can. One size doesn't fit all.
I wholeheartedly agree with this, it's more comfortable, simple as that. See my post with reference to mandolin.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:18 PM

I prefer what I prefer. I buy what I prefer. If it's not available I don't buy it.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:33 PM

We're all built different, especially when it comes to hands and feet. There is no one-for-all. Big fingers need more space for clean sound.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
There are those who can play anything comfortably, its no issue and they don't understand (and seem quite intolerant) of those of us who trip over ourselves with narrow nut width or who struggle with the extra stretch of a wider one.
Well said, especially the part about intolerance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion