The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:53 AM

Day 2 : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4285113&type=3

Day 3 : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4285113&type=3
Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 AM

It would be worthwhile for you, when meeting builders and when taking lutherie classes, to ask the teachers/builders why Tune-o-matic bridges aren't commonly used on acoustic instruments.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
It would be worthwhile for you, when meeting builders and when taking lutherie classes, to ask the teachers/builders why Tune-o-matic bridges aren't commonly used on acoustic instruments.
Because the cheap stuff can rattle, and nothing is common on my model.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Almost invisible wood joint, the sanding jig worked well.

Sanding on a super flat aluminium surface to European 3000 grit.

Soundboard with my own wood dye blend for cedar.

Nice contrast with the rosette.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmith View Post
Because the cheap stuff can rattle, and nothing is common on my model.
Did you actually ask? Or is that you guessing at what they would say?

Why not just ask?

Since you have been talking about how great it is to be able to learn from their expertise, it would be odd to reject knowledge which would help your project succeed, wouldn't it?
Old 03-29-2016, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Did you actually ask? Or is that you guessing at what they would say?

Why not just ask?

Since you have been talking about how great it is to be able to learn from their expertise, it would be odd to reject knowledge which would help your project succeed, wouldn't it?
I see no problem with the bridges i am using. They don`t rattle off the guitar, so i don`t expect rattling on the guitar. This is not the cheap stuff, but a solid roller bridge. Even if it rattles my wooden bridge plate design is a basis that can house all types of bridges, classical style or acoustic guitar style with pins. Just because i don`t go around emailing luthiers because of a suggestion on a forum doesn`t make me "rejecting knowledge".

I know what i`m doing, when i have issues i will certainly reach out to somebody.

Also, i would appreciate it if you would stop responding to my thread completely from now on. Every time i post something you come with doubt or criticism that i have to dispute or prove wrong, and if i don`t agree i`m the villain. On every important post i place here, you have found a new thing wrong with it and its not once or twice, it goes back 10 pages. I don`t do that on your guitar building thread, even if i wanted to i couldn`t because you don`t have a guitar building thread, so i`m not even sure you build guitars. This negativity is costing me energy and I don`t need that in my life.

Every time you ask a "question", its really just an attack, and i spend 2 hours on a 2 page long explanation everytime, but i`m not gonna do that anymore. You have this false image of me that i`m some kind of punk that doesn`t know what he`s doing. I am an autist with actual test results that say i`m very gifted, i can do whatever i want in life and i choose luthery. I turned down 200000 euro venture capital from Colopl for a virtual reality game that i made in 2 months without any coding experience, simply because guitar building is my true passion. I made a crypto currency in 1 month that sent money from New York to Asterdam in 6 seconds, so revolutionairy that i was invited as an expert speaker in the Swedish bitcoin conferance in Sweden.

This guitar model has so many innovations, it is 10 years ahead of anything on the market including Fender, Gibson, and even the carbon companys with 2 million dollar investment.

I don`t get this anywehere but on this forum, and it`s always the same 2 or 3 people complaining on this forum for 2 years now, When i said on this forum that i needed a random orbital sander, i was called lazy, when i said i dont have money to buy it, i was accused of making a pity party, i just can`t win here. I could come in here and say i won the lottery and i will put 1 million in this company, and you would say "well research has shown that many lottery winners become very unhappy"

If i don`t like the burger king, i don`t keep coming there and complain about the burgers, i simply stop coming there and move on with my life. I don`t get this on twitter where i have 5000 organic subscribers, not in instagram where i have 1500 organic subscribers, i got people driving to my house from another country and buying a guitar (the owner of acousticguitarworkshop.com), even the owner of this forum likes my stuff.

I am doing nothing wrong and i am tired of having to defend my genuine passion. There are plenty of thread here that will be more to your liking, so kindly move on and stop replying to this thread, thank you.

Koen.

Last edited by littlesmith; 03-29-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:54 AM

Default whoa daddy

Not all of us have been negative about your efforts. If you don't want other folk's comments or replies, it would be best to not post again and let the thread sink. Maybe you'd be happier.

And if your venture is successful, getting a good PR man would be beneficial and allow you to keep your creative talents focused.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Not all of us have been negative about your efforts. If you don't want other folk's comments or replies, it would be best to not post again and let the thread sink. Maybe you'd be happier.

And if your venture is successful, getting a good PR man would be beneficial and allow you to keep your creative talents focused.
I know that not everybody is the same,so it`s very unfortunate that you have to read that, i keep posting here for the handfull of people that care and get what i`m doing. And you are right, in my ideal company i will just build and somebody else is doing the social elements. It`s not a company right now, just a guy trying to develop an amzing guitar model. I know i am abrasive, but the product will be very nice.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:08 AM

The rarest thing in life is a good idea coupled with the gumption to pursue it.

I think your signature says it all.

Party on, Garth!

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 03-29-2016, 06:41 AM

Well, littlesmith, I'm here watching, too, as I'm somewhat going down a similar path building and learning, albeit a somewhat more traditional route.

I'm interested to see how the tune-o-matic style bridge is implemented in your design. I've seen them on a few archtops, though admittedly were on guitars with pickups. I suppose the mass would increase sustain, but wonder if that mass also acts a vibration sink preventing some transference of "vibration" to the top? Would be interested to see your findings. Do you also plan to use a roller nut, or one of the "slippery" synthetic nuts, as well? Locking tuners?

It's great to see passion; it's an admirable trait. But as they say here across the ocean, you'll need to grow some "thick skin." There'll be adversity ad every step of your journey, and learning how to overcome it is just as important as overcoming a manufacturing obstacle.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:57 AM

Default Reality check!

edited....

Last edited by CoolerKing; 03-31-2016 at 06:04 AM. Reason: rule#1
Old 03-29-2016, 07:23 AM

I can take regular criticism, what i can not take is the same people finding fault in everything i do for 2 years. Nobody is being forced to come here or like what my operation about. If this is not your cup of tea, that is absolutely fine with me, and in that case there is no need to keep coming here. That remark was the final straw as they call it. I hate that this drama keeps overshadowing my builds. I just come here to post some pictures, i do not come here to get false praise.

Some points made :

-It will not have a roller nut, a regular bone nut probably. I heard Paul reed smith saying that they have a resin nut with copper powder in it for mass. I am thinking of making a perfect nut and then casting a negative mold from it. I got a premade nut from Ebay with my exact specifications, but i am not pleased with the mass (or better said, lack of mass), so i will only use that as a referance for string spacing.

-Tunomatic style bridges are often too high to be placed on an acoustic guitar, you dont have this problem on a Les Paul electric guitar because the neck has been fitted into the body with a neck angle. I have a carbon fiber componente that allows me to lower the bridge so i dont have to let the fretboard stick out above the soundbaord for 12 millimeter (this would be ugly). The other problem with using tunomatic style on an acoustic guitar is the top vibrates and makes a tunomatic bridge resonate in a very annoying way. This is cause by resonance from the soundboards vibration and 9 out of 10 times it is the spring. My bridge has no spring. I can shake this bridge like a maniac and i hear nothing, so i expect no problem on the guitar. If there is a problem i can just scrap it and mount a regular saddle on the same wooden baseplate.

Carbon fiber plate on the underside of the soundboards pultrudes through a hole in the soundboard and holds the ball ends in metal ferrules, wooden baseplate (matching the fretboard wood species) on top of the soundboard with a carbon fiber insert to lower the bridge :

John, my innovations are not a dilusion, nobody in this space is using aero space epoxy resin with the resin infusion technique in a composite unibody (they put cutout scraps with wetlay, except Emerald guitars, those are very good), nobody has 0.6 millimeter thick carbon fiber bracings, nobody is using an aero space silicone heating blanket to post cure the matrix, the embedded soundboard is my own invention as well as a carbon fiber support frame, i am the first to bring QR codes on an instrument that you can scan, and it will take you to a dedicated website to authenticate your specific guitar. It will even have a 3d model of your specific instrument, that you can rotate and even view in virtual reality. The bridge component that holds the string ball ends is coming from under the soundboard so it`s impossible for the bridge to fly off. And then there is the proprietairy production system that allows 1 person to make 20 units per month so that`s 10 innovations right there, but i am only competing with myself. I try to make it as best as i can, i don`t care what companies are doing.

More info about this here : http://dutchluthier.com/innovations/

Last edited by littlesmith; 03-29-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmith View Post
I can take regular criticism, what i can not take is the same people finding fault in everything i do for 2 years.
Well passion alone is not a defense. There'll always, always be naysayers. They post for 2 years because it's taken that long to build these guitars. You'll deal with potential customers who'll love your ideas and your guitar's sound, and others who'll tell you to your face how horrible it is. It is what it is. There are people critical of the sound of Somogyi guitars; there's not many builders with his credentials. It doesn't stop him either.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 AM

Hey man

I think it is very brave what you are doing, but the bravest part of it all is putting it all out here, with emotions attached.

I'm a teacher and it's hard for me to think of a profession where your under more scrutiny. Reading the comments that the kids write about you in the questionnaires can be hard, after working so hard for them and caring so much.

You will always come up against comments you don't like man, and they can be hard to take, but you have to take them, or they will send you down a path you don't want to be on.

Take pride in your resolution, you have no need to post evidence of popularity, for this project is yours alone and the comments here will not change that.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 AM

Littlesmith, this is a cool project, and thanks for sharing the triumphs and the tribulations.

I suggest that you make use of the "ignore" function. On the top blue bar on the left is the User CP (control panel). User CP has an "edit ignore list" function. You simply type in the user name that you wish to ignore, and their posts no longer appear on your screen - while you are logged in. Unfortunately, I've needed this function and have about 6-8 names on it. Otherwise I would be long gone from AGF. As it is, my visitation level here has dropped way down.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
tools vs craftsmanship