The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Congrats on your J45.
My advice is moot because it was concerning your consideration of what you ordered and a D18. I like my D18, but if I had to pick between the two, my J45 stays. In truth, the J15 might edge out the D18 too.
Your advice is never moot in my book rokdog!

I have owned both a J-45 Standard and a D-18 in the past before I foolishly sold them to go down a long electric guitar journey. Last year, I sold both to fund a Two Rock amp, which is cool, but I can't get much enjoyment out of it due to the fact that I can't play loud and I have a Dr Z Maz 18 that I like a bit better. The truth is that I'm considering offloading the Two Rock and getting another Martin to pair with the new J-45 coming in.

I prefer Martins for bluegrass and playing with others, but I much prefer the J-45 to the D-18 when playing alone. The tone is just amazing.

If I sell the Two Rock, I'll pick up another Martin, but for now I'll enjoy my 717 and the J-45 when it ships.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:34 AM

Well, I had the J-45 50s Original on order, but Sweetwater had a sweet Southern Jumbo demo for sale so I went for that. Will be here Wednesday.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:19 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Well, I had the J-45 50s Original on order, but Sweetwater had a sweet Southern Jumbo demo for sale so I went for that. Will be here Wednesday.
Cool! Hope you love it. Looking forward to the NGD thread.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 04-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Hey Jonathan, That's awesome! Let us know how it sounds and stacks up.

My concern and experience with a few newer/recent Gibson acoustics is the necks and frets have not been truly level all the way up and down the fingerboard. My guitar tech did $200 or work on my 2018 Gibson J45 (because I liked it and wanted to give it a chance) he said it still would not be optimized unless I did a complete re-fret after planing the fingerboard. Arguably, I solo high up the neck to the High "A" so I need exceptionally level action up and down the neck.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 04-27-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

My concern and experience with a few newer/recent Gibson acoustics is the necks and frets have not been truly level all the way up and down the fingerboard. My guitar tech did $200 or work on my 2018 Gibson J45 (because I liked it and wanted to give it a chance) he said it still would not be optimized unless I did a complete re-fret after planing the fingerboard. Arguably, I solo high up the neck to the High "A" so I need exceptionally level action up and down the neck.
I'll keep an eye out for that. Good to hear from you Gary!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I thought they came PLEK'd from the facory? Has that changed recently? At least they advertised that a couple of years ago...
Old 04-27-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Most new guitars would benefit from a fret level. I don't know why you would need to plane the fingerboard and refret unless there was a hump in the neck.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
I thought they came PLEK'd from the facory? Has that changed recently? At least they advertised that a couple of years ago...
That was my belief too. Can any Gibson aficionados chip in?
Old 04-28-2021, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Most new guitars would benefit from a fret level. I don't know why you would need to plane the fingerboard and refret unless there was a hump in the neck.
There was indeed a hump in the neck around the 12th fret and higher.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 04-28-2021, 01:01 AM

As far as I know, all Gibson acoustics from 2015 onwards are factory plek'd.

It may have settled strangely after it left the factor?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion