The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-22-2021, 09:25 PM

Default Microphone Advice for Boss Loopstation RC500

Hey there,

I recently bought a boss RC500 which I'm having great fun with.

I would like to purchase a good mic to use with it mainly for recording piano and acoustic guitar into the looper. The RC500 has phantom power option. My budget for a mic is about $450.

I'm using a terrible Stagg mic at the moment which doesn't seem to have enough sensitivity to pick up the piano. I've even tried putting it inside the piano but still the volume is very low.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 03-23-2021, 07:20 AM

Is the Stagg microphone a condenser mic? If so, do you have the phantom power switch turned on? Have you tried it with the microphone input volume control all the way clock-wise?

When you get the problem figured out then you can start addressing the needs of micing a piano. Since the string spread is so wide it is more challenging to use a microphone and pick up the entire instrument.

If you're going to use a single microphone it might be better to use a omni pattern mic a bit further back from the strings.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I am guessing for trying to mic both a piano and acoustic guitar with one mic, (which I think is a viable option) you will probably want a Large Diaphragm Condenser

Here are some LDC $500 and under suggestions from Sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/be...ers-under-500/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-23-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Is the Stagg microphone a condenser mic? If so, do you have the phantom power switch turned on? Have you tried it with the microphone input volume control all the way clock-wise?

When you get the problem figured out then you can start addressing the needs of micing a piano. Since the string spread is so wide it is more challenging to use a microphone and pick up the entire instrument.

If you're going to use a single microphone it might be better to use a omni pattern mic a bit further back from the strings.
The phantom power is turned on and mic input turned up fully. But mic seems only effective at picking up singing while close to it. I think it may just be too cheap a mic to be any good.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am guessing for trying to mic both a piano and acoustic guitar with one mic, (which I think is a viable option) you will probably want a Large Diaphragm Condenser

Here are some LDC $500 and under suggestions from Sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/be...ers-under-500/
I'm not sure if I'd want them recorded at the same time, as I do plug in my acoustic sometimes it's a J-45 with a pickup. I suppose the piano is my main interest in recording with the mic but would be nice if it was suitable for acoustic too if I was to play my Martins instead of the Gibson.

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 03-23-2021, 08:27 AM

Thanks for your replies by the way guys.

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 AM

Is there a mic that you'd especially recommend that's within my budget for both purposes? Prepared to spend a bit more if it's worth doing so.

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 03-23-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovishead View Post
I'm not sure if I'd want them recorded at the same time, as I do plug in my acoustic sometimes it's a J-45 with a pickup. I suppose the piano is my main interest in recording with the mic but would be nice if it was suitable for acoustic too if I was to play my Martins instead of the Gibson.
I was not thinking "both at the same" time,,,,, simply a mic suitable for both instruments, which to me says LDC
So again the link to the Sweetwater page has some suggestions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD