The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-16-2021, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Truss rud adjustment on old Suzuki?

I was walking by a garage sale today and there were a few guitars for sale, so I stopped to take a look. Ended up buying an old Suzuki that looks to be a knockoff of a Martin 00-18. Really cool guitar that I was able to get for super cheap, but the neck has a bit too much relief so I'm trying to figure out if I can straighten it. It has access to the truss rod via the headstock, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust it (or if it's even adjustable).

Can't fit a normal tool into the slot to get on top of the rod, and don't really see any other way to adjust it. The holes don't have any traction for an allen wrench to fit. So I'm trying to figure out if it is adjustable (I'd assume it is, or else why provide access to it), and if so, how would you go about trying to adjust it?

Old 04-16-2021, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I think you just turn that whole barrel by sticking a rod (or an allen wrench) in one of those holes and turning it... I'd think that's why there's relief on the sides too.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I think you just turn that whole barrel by sticking a rod (or an allen wrench) in one of those holes and turning it... I'd think that's why there's relief on the sides too.
Yeah that's what I figured too and what I've been trying, just haven't found anything that will gain traction/leverage to actually turn the darn thing once it's in the barrel. Maybe I need to visit the hardware store tomorrow and find something else.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

After some more trial and error, I finally was able to get it to turn. Not sure it was the way a trained luthier would do it...but it worked and I didn't break anything. Mission complete.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:56 PM

Smile

Nice looking Suzuki guitar! How does it sound?

Long time ago, I’ve seen Suzuki motorcycles on the road. Not sure if they still make Suzuki motorcycles.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 04-17-2021, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post

Long time ago, I’ve seen Suzuki motorcycles on the road. Not sure if they still make Suzuki motorcycles.
It sounds pretty darn good! Seems very similar to the Takamine/Morris/Hondo etc "cease and desist" guitars from the early 70s. Needs to be cleaned up a bit and some new strings but for under $100 I'm more than pleased with it.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post

They certainly do. I buy my motorcycle tires at the local Suzuki shop, and
bring them my wheels for mounting...

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair