The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-09-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Most of my guitar recording has been done when doing live acoustic band recording. I've done 4 entire CD projects for acoustic bands in my area. As such my technique is to position players to best avoid bleed in the other mics,using a single SDC for guitar, 8 to 12" out and aimed for the area between the edge of the upper bout and the sound hole.

I don't do any recording that only involves solo guitar, so stereo ends up being more trouble than it's worth since I'm overdubbing other instruments. If you're doing your own recording it's much easier to shoot for a clean mono mic signal and not deal with phasing, EQ, and balance issues that you end up with when doing stereo micing.

Most of my current stuff has been done to make Youtube videos, so I'm using a K&K Pure Mini which sounds pretty good in my recordings. I'm doing that because I'm really working to isolate the guitar as much as possible for later editing and mixing. I'm adding at least a second guitar, bass, and vocals to those mixes, so that's why I'm going with technique to create better track isolation. Another reason I'm using the K&K is because I'm also experimenting with doing the basic guitar work and bass accompaniment using a looper in an unconventional way to capture the entire song while doing my vocal with a SM35 headset mic which does a great job of rejecting the guitar I'm playing at the time.

I have a ton of my own compositions I eventually want to post to Youtube, so I'm still in the "development phase" of that process.

Sorry if this is TMI, I'm fairly well read on mic techniques, but don't do the solo guitar recordings to contribute anything other than my rudimentary knowledge of the process.
Fair enough. I am a guy with a live band background but now older, working alone and solo learning the home studio "trade" and figuring out how far to go with technique. Like Glenn I am a retired engineer who has to fight the technology rabbit hole (my words) syndrome where actually making music takes a back seat. LOL.

George
Old 04-10-2021, 07:32 AM

I also have to be mindful of my tendency to dive into technology rabbit holes, so I can relate to that. I think I've been in a few..... Still probably have one foot in the microphone rabbit hole actually, but I'm mostly out of it. Like you said, it should all be about making music.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 04-10-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG View Post
Fair enough. I am a guy with a live band background but now older, working alone and solo learning the home studio "trade" and figuring out how far to go with technique. Like Glenn I am a retired engineer who has to fight the technology rabbit hole (my words) syndrome where actually making music takes a back seat. LOL.

George
I totally get that.

The most fun I've had with music the past year is my little hideaway where I can flip a single switch and do recordings using my looper in less than 30 seconds. This pushes the "making music" idea directly to the front. The single power strip switch even turns on my overhead party lights, so instant mood-setting!

Old 04-10-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I totally get that.

The most fun I've had with music the past year is my little hideaway where I can flip a single switch and do recordings using my looper in less than 30 seconds. This pushes the "making music" idea directly to the front. The single power strip switch even turns on my overhead party lights, so instant mood-setting!
I am in the process of doing what you have done, creating a dedicated space so I can just sit down and record without the whole set up drill. I am imagining that this will be a much more productive situation.

George
Old 04-10-2021, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am in the process of doing what you have done, creating a dedicated space so I can just sit down and record without the whole set up drill. I am imagining that this will be a much more productive situation.

George
I have a small section of an all-purpose room above our 3-car garage set aside for my studio. I keep my mics and stands and cameras set up all the time. I have the microphones covered with plastic bags to keep dust off them when I'm not using them. But the great thing is that with all this stuff set up, I can be recording a video in about 10 minutes once I aim the cameras, remove the plastic bags from the mics, turn on the mic preamps, and load in the recording system into my computer.

It's very nice!

- Glenn
Old 04-11-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have a small section of an all-purpose room above our 3-car garage set aside for my studio. I keep my mics and stands and cameras set up all the time. I have the microphones covered with plastic bags to keep dust off them when I'm not using them. But the great thing is that with all this stuff set up, I can be recording a video in about 10 minutes once I aim the cameras, remove the plastic bags from the mics, turn on the mic preamps, and load in the recording system into my computer.

It's very nice!

- Glenn
Putting dust covers on the mics is a good idea. My wife loves to sew and made slip on covers for my LDCs, SDCs, and my Zoom R24 recorder.

Mic covers are most likely available on ETSY since there's pretty much anything available that can be considered "handcrafted".
Old 04-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Putting dust covers on the mics is a good idea. My wife loves to sew and made slip on covers for my LDCs, SDCs, and my Zoom R24 recorder.

Mic covers are most likely available on ETSY since there's pretty much anything available that can be considered "handcrafted".
Very nice!

- Glenn
Old 04-12-2021, 08:27 AM

In my experience, Musicians Friend is a very low-quality site to get things. Shure’s website says that the frequency response of the SM57 is 40Hz to 15kHz. It’s an excellent mic.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I'm also realizing the mic shootouts other people do online don't mean as much to me as they once did -- I really need to do my own based upon my own needs, with my own playing, and my own guitars, in my own room. An online shootout where they every single mic at 6", 12", 18" or whatever it is isn't completely fair because each mic comes into it's sweet spot at different distances depending on what one is going for. Before my last round of room treatments, I couldn't even do 18 or further", because the room was so nasty. I had to try to stay under 10". So a mic that works great at 6" might be not so great at 18" -- so many variables, but having fun learning.
I agree that drawing any complete conclusions about how a given microphone will perform for me in my environment based on other peoples tests is not the way to go but I do find that relative comparisons to something that I already own does help send me in the right direction. Helps narrow down the choices. If I am looking for more detail, brighter, less mud, etc I can get a head start. Same is true for guitar pick ups.

I also find that spec comparisons are not particularly helpful. Its like in audio amplifiers where a $100 Sony 5 channel amp has better "specs" than a Mark Levinson monobloc single amp channel that goes for tens of thousands. I sold components into the business and when asked by a layperson which amp to buy I always just tell them the heavier one. Better/bigger transformer, better power supply, more weight, usually better design. That $100 Sony weighs 30 pounds for 5 channels. That ML weighs 200 pounds for 1 channel. Oh man, I got way of course on that analogy. Oops. Pretty soon I will be talking about walking a mile barefoot in the snow to go to school. LOL.

George
Old 04-12-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... Its like in audio amplifiers where a $100 Sony 5 channel amp has better "specs" than a Mark Levinson monobloc single amp channel that goes for tens of thousands. I sold components into the business and when asked by a layperson which amp to buy I always just tell them the heavier one. Better/bigger transformer, better power supply, more weight, usually better design. That $100 Sony weighs 30 pounds for 5 channels. That ML weighs 200 pounds for 1 channel. ... George
Actually, George, this is good advice...

- Glenn
Old 04-13-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Actually, George, this is good advice...

- Glenn
Well I did by a Latch Lake mic stand with a 30 lb base

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-13-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well I did by a Latch Lake mic stand with a 30 lb base
That sounds useful. Just don’t buy any 30 lb microphones! LOL.

George
Old 04-13-2021, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That sounds useful. Just don’t buy any 30 lb microphones! LOL.

George
Yes indeed Although it also has a 7 lb slidable counter weight on the boom but I am guessing even my Tube mic is only 3 lb or so

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-13-2021, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I bought a 4-5 lb counterweight for the stand holding my WA-47 tube mic.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD