The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-12-2021, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor Expression System 2

What are your recommendations for getting the most out of the Taylor expression system 2? I currently use a Helix for my acoustics but wondering if anyone uses any other DI boxes to get the most out of the system.

Thanks!
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 10-12-2021, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
What are your recommendations for getting the most out of the Taylor expression system 2? I currently use a Helix for my acoustics but wondering if anyone uses any other DI boxes to get the most out of the system.

Thanks!
Howdy! What guitar is it in? Didnt see a Taylor in your signature. I prefer K&Ks, but have a couple Taylors with the ES2, and am happy with them. I guess they get some bad reviews, but Im not seeing (hearing) why.

Ive tried a Helix, but I find it too complicated for my simple, Luddite needs, so I settled on the fishman ToneDEQ. Have also played with Aura and ToneDexter, and while they certainly do what they do, I dont find them necessary. The DEQ gives me all the tone shaping I need, and have a decent reverb and chorus aas bonus.

Good luck and have fun. I think the ES2 exceeds its reputation.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 10-12-2021, 12:46 PM

The Helix IS all of those 'other boxes'. EQ, delay, reverb, compression, IR, even variable impedance.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-12-2021, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Howdy! What guitar is it in? Didnt see a Taylor in your signature. I prefer K&Ks, but have a couple Taylors with the ES2, and am happy with them. I guess they get some bad reviews, but Im not seeing (hearing) why.

Ive tried a Helix, but I find it too complicated for my simple, Luddite needs, so I settled on the fishman ToneDEQ. Have also played with Aura and ToneDexter, and while they certainly do what they do, I dont find them necessary. The DEQ gives me all the tone shaping I need, and have a decent reverb and chorus aas bonus.

Good luck and have fun. I think the ES2 exceeds its reputation.
I got a 414ce-r that Isn’t in my signature
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 10-12-2021, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got a 414ce-r that Isn’t in my signature
Nice. And yes, that helix really is “all the other boxes”. Only problem, is I can spend hours exploring all its features. Strymon reverb, too. They really are amazing boxes!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 10-12-2021, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Nice. And yes, that helix really is “all the other boxes”. Only problem, is I can spend hours exploring all its features. Strymon reverb, too. They really are amazing boxes!
yeah I had a big sky for a while excellent product. I have a few helix patches for my acoustics already. ill need to add one in for the Taylor
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 10-14-2021, 05:20 PM

I have an older 2004ish 810 that had the expression 1. Never liked it. Sent it back to Taylor to install an expression 2. It’s better but still not great.

Late last year I took my whole rig into a local shop with great inventory and just started playing guitars through it. Was looking for something that sounded the best plugged into my specific system. Ended up with a Larivee with an Anthem.

I still play the 810. Plays great and sounds great, just not that great plugged in to my ears.

Def loving the anthem.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:53 AM

2014 Taylor 814ce here. I went through a similar “adventure.” My Taylor had the original ES2 which I found to be too midrangey. After researching here,I upgraded to the latest ES2 which has much less midrange and “punch.” Huge improvement.

That said, I added a Fishman Pro Eq/DI and works/sounds great.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:34 PM

Best consistent acoustic live sound I’ve heard was a guy with a Taylor 810 through a Baggs Venue. I have a Venue and just picked up an AD17e blacktop with the ES-2 that I’m eager to check out.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I just got a Taylor AD17e… I am trying it in my Loudbox mini. It’s ok. I’m also trying it through a fire eye red eye into the mic channel (not instrument). Again just ok. I feel like I am hearing some quack or distortion or break up. I am still trying to figure it out. Maybe my ear are having a bad day because my J45 with k&k also sounds blehhh.

I’ll take any tips! I’d like to use it at a gig Thursday night. I would be plugging into a PA system, and I would like the fire eye for the boost functionality.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

I have ES2 latest version in both my guitars in my signature below. I think they are exceptional for a simple plug-and-play system that you can definitely tweak if needed. But if you don't I think they work excellent.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

2019 Taylor 814 - latest ES2, I think. Play through a Mesa Rosette. The amp’s tone stack with its two semi-parametric mids allows me to dial in an excellent acoustic tone.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:11 AM

I run my 810 through a Venue when I use it. It’s certainly workable, just not my top preference. I bring it every gig as a backup in case I break a string.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:59 PM

I always disliked the Taylor system. The first one (in a 710) was difficult to get a good sound, but you could. Sold that one and ended up with a 814ce with the es system. Had issues with that one also. While cruising around the net I ran across a video with Bob Taylor and 2 others (sorry, memory must be slipping) about adjusting the ES system. Finished the video, turned on my system and dialed in my guitar. Pretty simple, I had just never thought about setting up the system correctly. Hey! Volume bass and treble, what else is there to know? Duh!
Too sharp/harsh? Bring the bass and treble up.
No mids? Turn the bass and treble down.
Then use the volume knob for most clean signal.
Or either knob…. The mids are fixed, so you adjust around them. I think of it as “gain staging” but for tone, not volume. Getting the best setting for tone only makes it easier to dial in the tone on a mixer or whatever.
I think…..but sometimes I read something I wrote and wonder what I was trying to say.
Taylor makes a good system FOR MY USES. Your experience could be a whole lot different. But this is my tale 😇
Old 10-19-2021, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks!
ES2 -> Sarno Black Box -> RedEye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification