The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-29-2024, 08:01 AM

Default New ZLX G2 Speaker From Electro-Voice Drops Today

Ello AGF,

Eagerly awaiting the newest drop from Electro-Voice today, as I have yet to upgrade my system since I can afford to wait. After announcing the EVERSE12 at NAMM to many an AGF’ers dismay, EV said there will be other products released in 2024. The second one comes out today!

Majority of speculation seems to be an updated ZLX line of speakers. Sweetwater has been discounting the ZLX line $100 off, and I JUST got an email yesterday that ProAudioStar is also running a clearance sale of $150 off. Clearing out old units to make room for the new would check out. I would hope that they would consider us 8 & 10” speaker users, in addition to the standard ZLX 12 & 15’s.

I still wish they would of dropped EVERSE10’s for a bit more umph, as two of those in the air would be a perfect solo/duo live sound setup that could handle most small to medium rooms and opens up more remote wedding and private gigs with limited access to power, with an EVERSE8 as a monitor option.

I would totally get behind a battery powered Evolve stick from EV, I just don’t see it for today. It has also been speculated that they are dropping a battery powered sub. That would make sense because then the DJ crowd they’ve been appeasing could just pole mount an EVERSE8 or the new EVERSE 12 over top.

Both a new battery powered sub and a new ZLX speaker match the blurry teaser image on EV’s social media channels, so my wager is 50/50 on it being one of those two releasing today.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jpino; 02-29-2024 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:12 AM

Anddd no sooner, the cat’s out of the bag. I won’t drop any names, but a large online dealer just listed them:

Electro-Voice ZLX G2 line confirmed! Both a passive and powered version, also included us 8” speaker users which is new to the line. That’s great because it appears the ZXA1 8” line is discontinued, also heard a lot of shutting down in heat and cold with that unit.

Specs:
Electro-Voice ZLX-8P-G2: $499, 8” dome, 1000watts, 126db max SPL, ~24lbs, with bluetooth and the built in digital mixer + EV Quicksmart app functionality. Padded covers are 59$ a piece = $1116 for two ZLX G2’s with covers.

Still cheaper then a single Evolve 30m for $1399 I was considering which is only 123db max SPL. Getting these and using my EVERSE8 as a floor wedge is tempting, and would certainly handle every indoor gig I play at with my acoustic instrumental act.

Last edited by jpino; 02-29-2024 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Very interesting! I'm not familiar with the ZLX line but I'll bet these are going to make standard PA guys very happy. 8, 12 and 15--inch versions, the latter screaming a maximum peak of 129db.

I imagine the earlier ones weren't app-controlled? Another thing that stands out is what looks like an enourmously more user-friendly DSP manual control display on the back, compared to what we have to endure on the Evolves & Everse. (If I were any of these retailers and EV itself I'd be making a bigger deal out of that than they are). Here's the best I could do right now, taken from the B&H site. I've noticed that Sweetwater, my go-to for specs and all that, has increasingly done a poor job of showing controls, just giving us side angles and practically telephoto lens shots. But I haven't found any better images than the below, anywhere.

Sweetwater on the 15:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...with-bluetooth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zlx display.JPG (16.3 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Chriscom; 02-29-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:54 PM

Just picked one of these up. Plan on using it for: general monitor with my main band, FRFR with my two notes opus in a few scenarios where I’m going amp less, acoustic guitar amp with my J15 plugged straight into the hi-z (unsure about this, but the DSP seems powerful enough to make it work), plugging the opus into it in FRFR mode and using its the Opus’s DI and acoustic IRs with my J15.

So far I haven’t done much other than play electric and acoustic guitar with the opus, but it sounds pretty great so far. I have a full band rehearsal with it this weekend, so I’ll report back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification