The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-29-2023, 05:30 AM

Default The addiction of the build - what do you do with all of your Guitars?

The bug bit me a long time ago. Since I can remember, I’ve always tweaked and adjusted everything. I love the build process. I love talking to builders. I love looking at, picking up and playing different guitars.

So here’s my question for you fellow addicts: what do you do with all of those guitars that you build? I’m talking about the ones that were created at the steepest parts of the learning curve… the ones that are not good enough… and the ones that you love so much that you could never part with them?

Rick

Last edited by srick; 12-29-2023 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I started building in retirement about 10 years ago. I crammed my initial learning curve into a 5 week lutherie school, so avoided the series of burning barrel instruments that can be a right of passage for some.

I gave the first guitar that I built in my own shop to my wife. I've also built one for each of my 3 grown kids and one grandson.

That still leaves me with 8 instruments around the house, and I don't really play. I tend to build a variety - OM, dread, classical, archtop, 12 string, standard SS, ukulele - so it's not like I'm filling the house with clones. I have materials for a slope dread and a 00 (both 12 fret slotheads) and a quilted maple uke ready for my next builds. My longer term plan includes another archtop, an F5 mandolin and maybe a violin.

I've made no effort to sell or commission any instruments, although I don't rule it out. For me it's all about the build and the end result, regardless of what it costs to make it or what happens to it after it's done.

So, does that make me an addict?
Old 12-29-2023, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

That is a good question! I am not a builder, but I was in a local luthier and saw a guitar that I really want to buy. I won’t buy it until I sell a guitar, so it is at risk of being sold before I get to it.

It was built by a student of the Luthier. I was told not to worry too much about it selling. The builder has build 60 guitars, most of which have come into the luthier’s shop to sell on commission, stay for several months and then get swapped out for another one. None have sold.

I wonder what he does with those 60 guitars…

The one I want is a superb instrument. I don’t know why they aren’t selling, except that they are a bit non-standard and are only displayed in a small luthier shop.

Actually, one concern I have with an instrument like this would be resale value. I may never sell it (if I buy it) but how does a unique one-off instrument by an obscure Luthier obtain and hold any value?
Old 12-29-2023, 09:09 AM

I still have the 1st two I built, an electric guitar and acoustic steel string. They are pretty terrible though playable and actually don't sound bad but they are also sentimental. I also have my 5th which is a classical and another early one that I should just give away at this point.

None of mine were very good till about the tenth one I built. I gave the other ones to two nephews, one to my father, and so on.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I don’t know why they aren’t selling, except that they are a bit non-standard and are only displayed in a small luthier shop.
I've built about 25 instruments over 40 years. You've just described two of the three main reasons they aren't selling. The third is that there is not a well known brand name associated with the build.

Quote:
Actually, one concern I have with an instrument like this would be resale value. I may never sell it (if I buy it) but how does a unique one-off instrument by an obscure Luthier obtain and hold any value?
Resale of a custom build often depends on name recognition of the builder, build quality, and perception of the buyer. The resellers of the early Olsons have benefitted from this. Olson built name recognition at the same time he was building guitars. The story is well known, and lots of current builders are trying to replicate this type of recognition for their own market.

There's a short thread on here about the resale of a guitar I customized (some would say "converted"). The resale was based on the buyer's perception of the "added value" that had resulted from the alterations, plus his perception of the guitar's overall resale value.

To answer your question directly, eight of my instruments were built for friends and family. Two of them were taken apart to re-use the Brazilian rosewood for other guitars. Seven were sold or traded to players. Two were traded for building materials. I play the remaining seven - (in nomenclature these might be approximately 00-18, J-65, SJDB, hybrid 00-21, resophonic, Gibson-esque bluegrass banjo, and a uke). I've also altered many guitars; mostly X-braced conversions of ladder-braced guitars. Most are sold, two I play.

I build and work on instruments as a recreational activity. Keeps me off the streets at night, I guess. I sort of zone out at the workbench. I get totally focused on the work and the rest of the world just disappears for a while.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I build and work on instruments as a recreational activity. Keeps me off the streets at night, I guess. I sort of zone out at the workbench. I get totally focused on the work and the rest of the world just disappears for a while.
Thanks for your input!

That last bit is why I am learning guitar. If I do the woodworking, I start swearing and throwing things. Relaxing it is not.[emoji849]
Old 12-29-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
The bug bit me a long time ago. Since I can remember, I’ve always tweaked and adjusted everything. I love the build process. I love talking to builders. I love looking at, picking up and playing different guitars.

So here’s my question for you fellow addicts: what do you do with all of those guitars that you build? I’m talking about the ones that were created at the steepest parts of the learning curve… the ones that are not good enough… and the ones that you love so much that you could never part with them?

Rick
As far as those first few, I was lucky enough to start my building endevours with the purchase of David Russell Young's steel string guitar construction book. To paraphrase, Young relayed that new builders should develop the integrity to destroy attempts that have irreparable problems when completed. I took him at his word.

After those first few catastrophes I ended up building a very acceptable dread which served me well for many years. A big part of building was to have a good instrument that I could not afford otherwise. When I looked at Martins as my desire I realized that mere mortals put them together. I met my goal and several years later purchased a few factory made guitars because the economics were such that the factory instruments were widely available and you could buy them cheaper than making them. I didn't make another 6 string acoustic until I had a wish list for a "perfect for me" acoustic that didn't exist as a "store-bought". I finished that one (posted here on AGF) and I'm on to some other exciting unique builds.

I turned my attention to instruments that I felt could benefit from "improvement", particularly the 5 string open back banjo. I've built a lot of them, and there's always been someone waiting in the wings for anything I want to move onward.

I suppose I'm really relaying that once you get beyond the "toss it in the fire" stage that you'll find willing recipients if you engage with the musicians that make music with the types of instruments you like to build.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-29-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:50 PM

Like most here, I've given some away as gifts, made a Telecaster for my son and a uke for my grand daughter, sold one after taking it to a jam session. I do fully enjoy playing them but My house is getting full. I am getting better, only a few minor cosmetic imperfections.

There is a tentative some kind of guitar day/swap meet local coming up, I've confirmed I'll take a table. Who knows, maybe if prices are resonable, I can make some room here for more build
Old 12-30-2023, 07:14 AM

Default Addiction!

I built the first one to be a gift. I messed it up. It's not unplayable and doesn't sound bad but there's a mistake that I couldn't live with so I've still got it. I decided to take a second shot at it. At the same time, an ex bandmate's wife told me she wanted one for her husband's birthday. The whole endeavor has just grown. I'll avoid telling the story about taking posession of some old Mossman parts because the story spans 40 years- one of those "seemingly unrelated string of events" things. Anyway, I don't think it would be right to stop now. The addiction is based on love of guitars, tweaking designs and the effect on sound, trying to make the next one better than the last and trying to learn patience. I've done 10 in the last 5 years. 8 of them now belong to friends or friends of friends. I used to think about how would I store or play them. Presently, the number of people who have expressed wanting one is enough that I think more about ways to get a little faster at building. I should add...I've never intended to make a profit, and I've built to my own preferences and tastes. If somebody wants one that's fine, if I build one that isn't wanted that's fine too. I'm loving all of this and understand that I'm lucky in so many ways. Thanks to AGF, for being a part of so much research!
Old 12-30-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
I should add...I've never intended to make a profit, and I've built to my own preferences and tastes. I'm loving all of this and understand that I'm lucky in so many ways.
Sometimes it's best not to turn our passions into a job. I've seen that ruin things for people.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:55 AM

It is said there are three ways to ruin yourself:

1. Addiction to gambling, for instance on horses

2. The habit of womanizing

3. Inventions

Out of these, inventions are the most certain way to get yourself ruined. I hope I won't get addicted to guitar building. I find inspiration in making adjustments and seeing a positive effect, simply to get an instrument to sound better or, at its best. I know enough about some sort of stringed instruments to hear if it can be improved. At least sometimes.
I saw someone write on some other guitar forum how they once started to play the guitar because they wanted to get girls and women. But instead ended up talking to middle aged men over the web about their nails and how to treat them best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair