The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-06-2023, 12:46 PM

There's a reason why furniture manufacturers do not use threaded inserts into end grain joints, which is precisely what a guitar neck / body joint is.

Of course, anyone can use whatever method they find easiest. Sometimes "easy" doesn't mean "good". I wish I had a dollar for every example I've seen of failed joints in banjo necks.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:58 AM

Related question:
If I have a router template (either made of mdf or acrylic) what router bit/setup do you recommend?
I know I can add a guide collar to the router, but that would cause an offset relative to the template edge. And no guide would lead to me routing into the template.

I am novice at using a router (in case you hadn't guessed).
Old 05-08-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliseguitars View Post
Related question:
If I have a router template (either made of mdf or acrylic) what router bit/setup do you recommend?
I know I can add a guide collar to the router, but that would cause an offset relative to the template edge. And no guide would lead to me routing into the template.

I am novice at using a router (in case you hadn't guessed).
Pattern bits, like these. The bearing rides against the template, no offset.
You can take a shallow cut, like 1/4" - 1/2 "deep, then adjust the bit deeper or use a longer bit for another cut until you reach desired depth. I have done it with a little $26 router.

https://www.amazon.ca/Flush-Trim-Pat...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 12-22-2023, 09:29 PM

It's been quite a while since my last post but I'm retired and only spend about 1/2 of each year at my shop location. I thought long and hard about the follow-on comments and decided to go ahead with homemade templates and barrel nuts - a two variable change which made me very nervous!

Short version, my first attempt dialed in almost perfect. M/T fit and neck angles were very good, requiring very little touch up to dial in and the barrel nuts are unquestionably stronger. I ended up using a couple of template bits to get the right projection to match my plunge router / template configuration.

The approach of cutting the angle on the neck stock before routing the M/T worked out great and was something I would never have thought of on my own. Thanks for allowing me to benefit from your experiences.
Old 12-23-2023, 08:29 AM

The problem with inserts in end grain has been solved a long time ago, glue in a cross grain dowel in the heel and thread into that. Having said that there are thousands and thousands of 90's Taylors and other guitars out there that are threaded right into the end grain and still going strong.

Old 12-23-2023, 02:08 PM

redir wrote:
"... there are thousands and thousands of 90's Taylors and other guitars out there that are threaded right into the end grain and still going strong."

I'm reminded of what the trail guide says of hiking on Mount Washington in New Hampshire:
"The mountain allows most fools to get away with (improper preparation), but once in a while it takes one without mercy"

Having seen failures in those barrel nuts (including on Taylors) I see no reason not to do it the better way. Taylor changed for a reason...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
neck joint