The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-10-2022, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think the Tonedexter is incredible and will probably use it for my mandolin, but I think I will be trying the Voiceprint before upgrading to this new version. The VP doesn't sound as realistic, but the tweakability and options just make it a unit that I can see working better for me.
The EQ options open up a lot of possibilities. The best use for me is applying the IR to the high end only. It works great.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The EQ options open up a lot of possibilities. The best use for me is applying the IR to the high end only. It works great.
That's a good way of using it. I am kind of the same. I just want the VP to enhance the pickup a bit. I don't want it to sound exactly like a mic. I always think of these IR devices as an internal mic, I just want a bit blended in.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's a good way of using it. I am kind of the same. I just want the VP to enhance the pickup a bit. I don't want it to sound exactly like a mic. I always think of these IR devices as an internal mic, I just want a bit blended in.
I would like both. An EXACT copy of the mic for recording (like how the Kemper can mimic an amp) and also a way of blending that works like the Anthem's crossover so that the IR is only applied to the high end for live use.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
also a way of blending that works like the Anthem's crossover so that the IR is only applied to the high end for live use.
Using an HX Stomp as your IR loader, raise the low cut to eliminate the IR from lower frequencies and then blend as desired.

Using a generic IR loader, read the IR wave file into Audacity (or equivalent) and edit out the end of the IR. Maybe a few experiments are called for. Try cutting the IR length to 50% and 25% of its original length. Not as good as the low cut of the Stomp's IR loader, but it will reduce the impact of the IR at low frequencies.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-11-2022, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Using an HX Stomp as your IR loader, raise the low cut to eliminate the IR from lower frequencies and then blend as desired.

Using a generic IR loader, read the IR wave file into Audacity (or equivalent) and edit out the end of the IR. Maybe a few experiments are called for. Try cutting the IR length to 50% and 25% of its original length. Not as good as the low cut of the Stomp's IR loader, but it will reduce the impact of the IR at low frequencies.
Yes I must try that. I need to export the IR's to Logic again.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I have the (cheaper) Steven Slate system in my VST folder for use in Reaper. It works reaonably well at emulating different mic styles but relies on a specific mic for predictable results, chosen for it's *flat frequency and linear transient responses. You can't, however, make a £8k Neumann out of a £150 mass produced element.

*This is much like how James suggests certain mics/pickups for TD training.
Not asking if a UST would/could sound like a high end mic via IRs. But since the new version of the tonedexter 2 has a dual source capability, can an IR (also) be applied separately to a mic source, much like some of the mic emulation plug-ins for a daw…..?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-14-2022, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I have no insider information, but I have spoken to James about what his thoughts and plans are for TD2 a few times, and there are a couple of very strong takeaways that I’ve gotten from these talks. 1, he takes the needs of professional musicians very seriously, and has worked closely with numerous high-profile individuals about how they use their TDs, and what more they would like. 2, his audio and signal processing background is far greater than most would imagine, and he’s worked with a number of audio professionals to understand how the TD best integrates into live music situations. And 3, he learned about designing with hardware that was both limited in its capabilities, and also locked him into certain, potentially problematic, supply chains. So, TD2 is a far more powerful box than the TD1 was, and will eventually be capable of more than it will initially be released with. What the initial release capabilities, and what the future capabilities will be, are not 100% defined. Initial capabilities will be based largely on the feedback he got with the TD1 - the future will probably be based on the feedback he gets after the release of the TD2. So there’s no point guessing or suggesting anything now - all any of us can know for sure is that TD2 will do everything TD1 did, only faster and better, and that alone is a good enough reason for any string musician to add it to their toolkit - but there will also be some really great additional capabilities. I’m just anxious for him to be able to start shipping early next year!
Old 12-14-2022, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Do you need to have different mics available to make your sound prints. Is it okay if you just have a 57 or will you need better mics?
Old 12-14-2022, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I have no insider information, but I have spoken to James about what his thoughts and plans are for TD2 a few times, and there are a couple of very strong takeaways that I’ve gotten from these talks. 1, he takes the needs of professional musicians very seriously, and has worked closely with numerous high-profile individuals about how they use their TDs, and what more they would like. 2, his audio and signal processing background is far greater than most would imagine, and he’s worked with a number of audio professionals to understand how the TD best integrates into live music situations. And 3, he learned about designing with hardware that was both limited in its capabilities, and also locked him into certain, potentially problematic, supply chains. So, TD2 is a far more powerful box than the TD1 was, and will eventually be capable of more than it will initially be released with. What the initial release capabilities, and what the future capabilities will be, are not 100% defined. Initial capabilities will be based largely on the feedback he got with the TD1 - the future will probably be based on the feedback he gets after the release of the TD2. So there’s no point guessing or suggesting anything now - all any of us can know for sure is that TD2 will do everything TD1 did, only faster and better, and that alone is a good enough reason for any string musician to add it to their toolkit - but there will also be some really great additional capabilities. I’m just anxious for him to be able to start shipping early next year!
Great news. 2023 should be a good year for us acoustic players!
Old 12-14-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Aaron, Which pickup type (UST or SBT or both) have you been using when you employ this technique?

This approach seems similar to what Baggs is doing, in an analog way, with the Anthem SL. The question which comes to my mind is whether or not a digital reproduction of a mic placed outside the guitar can sound better than a real mic placed inside the guitar. It certainly might if enough skill and experimentation is applied to the training mic placement.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
Do you need to have different mics available to make your sound prints. Is it okay if you just have a 57 or will you need better mics?
you can use any mic - it will allow the TD to give you a sound that will be very close to what your guitar would sound like, if amplified using that mic. Some artists really like the sound of their guitar using a SM57, so they use it to create their wavemaps. The recommendation to use a very flat mic is to get an amplified sound that is as close to the unamplified sound as possible - but thats not necessarily the best for many people -
Old 12-14-2022, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Aaron, Which pickup type (UST or SBT or both) have you been using when you employ this technique?

This approach seems similar to what Baggs is doing, in an analog way, with the Anthem SL. The question which comes to my mind is whether or not a digital reproduction of a mic placed outside the guitar can sound better than a real mic placed inside the guitar. It certainly might if enough skill and experimentation is applied to the training mic placement.
I tried it on a K&K and it worked very well, I also used the built in EQ to notch out feedback as well. It made the K&K usable for a string of gigs but lately I am back to the Cole Clark. I think a better contact pickup and a future IR pedal (or algorithm) will create excellent results though.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I tried it on a K&K and it worked very well, I also used the built in EQ to notch out feedback as well. It made the K&K usable for a string of gigs but lately I am back to the Cole Clark. I think a better contact pickup and a future IR pedal (or algorithm) will create excellent results though.
Thanks for the observations. I’ve been wondering how effective the single knob feedback control will be. It’s good to learn that it handled the K&K well (or well enough). To my way of thinking, that’s one big advantage that ToneDexter has over the Optima Air. When the volume is raised enough that amplified tone starts getting tubby, TD has the tool to attack it much more precisely than a general bass roll off.

Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the observations. I’ve been wondering how effective the single knob feedback control will be. It’s good to learn that it handled the K&K well (or well enough). To my way of thinking, that’s one big advantage that ToneDexter has over the Optima Air. When the volume is raised enough that amplified tone starts getting tubby, TD has the tool to attack it much more precisely than a general bass roll off.

Thanks again.
Sorry I was referencing the Baggs VPDI.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry I was referencing the Baggs VPDI.
My mistake. Nothing for you to be sorry about. It’s equally good to learn that the Voiceprint DI’s single knob anti-feedback control works as advertised. I remember how enthusiastic Lloyd Baggs was about that feature.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
james may, tonedexter